Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like crap at day 10

This is going to sound like such a pity party, which makes me feel even worse. I am 10 days out and feeling like a failure. I feel terrible all the time. Still struggling to get hydration and nutrition. It all makes me nauseous. Everything tastes awful, even Water. Having extreme soreness but hated those pain meds - made me sick, too - and tylenol is worthless. Don't understand why I feel this way when I see these other posts where people are breezing through this. I've always been a hard worker, had a positive attitude, with a pretty high pain threshold. Have had broken bones, full open C-Section, but this has been awful. I am really starting to regret that I did this. Really sick of this pain. Feeling very down .

I would gently suggest that you try to walk some more. For one thing, it will help you deal a bit with the stress and tension you're feeling. (Exercise bleeds stress out of the body, just does.)

Also, if the weather is good where you are, just getting outside and getting some sunshine on your skin could help. It makes me feel better -- and there are some actual biochemical reasons for this.

My experience (I'm only 33 days post-op) was that hydration was the most important thing. I couldn't get in all my Water initially, but it gradually went higher and higher. Just keep working at it. If you haven't tried Mio drops in your Water, they were my go-to way early on to get the water down. (I'm now trying to wean myself off artificial water sweeteners, but they really do help early on.)

Re Protein, I found Greek vanilla yogurt so soothing and a good source of Protein.

I have confidence you'll feel better eventually, but hope you feel better soon.

Best wishes.

I was sleeved in Feb 2014 and I too had alot of pain for at least 2 weeks, can't remember exactly when I started to feel better, but I did. I slept a lot, took my pain meds and just kept eating a few bites every 2 hrs. So hang in there things will get better soon!

Sorry to hear what you are going through. I didn't have regrets but I was frustrated in the beginning too. I was still in pain, had nausea, tired, and could not get what I was suppose to in. My NUT was more worried about staying hydrated. So I just sipped sipped and sipped Water and even diluted Gatorade. You can try Crytal Lite too. He said that everything else will come in due time and it did. Your tummy is still healing and you are still learning, heck I am still learning and I am almost on soft foods. This is a new journey and EVERYONE is different.

I was giving those Patches for the nausea by my doctor and it helped a lot. I would suggest that you give them a call and maybe they can give you a prescription for it.

Don't have regrets for something that will benefit you in the long run. VSGAnn2014 gave some good advice, you should take it. Please, No regrets!

I was sleeved in Feb 2014 and I too had alot of pain for at least 2 weeks, can't remember exactly when I started to feel better, but I did. I slept a lot, took my pain meds and just kept eating a few bites every 2 hrs. So hang in there things will get better soon!

Yes, I stayed ahead of the pain. I had terrible pain that woul come and it would go all down hill from there. I still take few bites and eat every two hours at 4 weeks, lol.

I felt like crap for the first ten days because my surgeon had me sipping four ounces of Water or broth per hour. Nothing else. I was probably averaging 40 calories a day, because i was unable to do the Jello or popsicles. New tummy was unable to handle cold stuff and to this day I an unable to tolerate artificial sweeteners. Feels like I'm eating a bowl full of sugar. This from a person who was used to consuming sugar. So, once I was allowed full liquids on day 11, everything changed with that first 2 ozs of cream of wheat! And stop comparing yourself. I did not dance down my street, climb a mountain, shop at the mall or walk 2 miles my first 3-4 weeks. I did this at my pace and let my body heal as it wanted to. I walked a little every day, concentrated on the Protein and water, which still takes ALL my energy everyday, and napped as needed. Give yourself time. You will get through this. Best.

I found out today that my pain is due to internal stitches placed by my surgeon to strengthen the area in the abdominal wall where the stomach was removed. Some have made reference to these stitches but I didn't realize that not all surgeons even place the internal stitches in order to ease recovery and some do minimal stitching. I think my surgeon did a stitching for an Amish quilt in there so hence the tugging and pain. While I hate the pain, it is temporary and for my benefit, so I feel better about it. Supposed it can be 3-6 weeks before it is relieved so I have a way to go. Thank you for the encouragement everyone. I feel better. Now, on with the never ending horrible fluids!

Isn't it a relief to know what's going on? Mysteries like that just seem to make things worse.

Glad to hear you're doing better.

Glad to know it's not something serious. I remember seeing a surgeon doing the same thing on youtube. He said it was something he did.