Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this infected? (warning, pic of incision)

You can't tell in the pic, but this is a bit swollen. It was more swollen yesterday. You can see the small incision is bruised which is probably normal. The port site looks inflamed, don't you think? I've been running a low grade fever (99.7 - 101.7) ever since being in the hospital. I am now 8 days post-op. Do you think this is infected?

DSCN7523.jpg

I don't think the sites look too bad, but I do see the redness around the port site. Is the skin around the incisions hot to touch? It's kind of hard to see the swelling in the pic. The bruising is a normal part of healing. Is there any drainage? If there is, what color? Does it have an odor? I'm a nurse, but it's hard to tell from the pics if they are draining. The fact that you are spiking a temp does worry me. Especially 101.7. have you called your surgeon's office? I would definitely contact them. Anytime you have a temp means that there is probably an infection somewhere in your body. Keep us posted!!!

Neither one looks infected. Looks like they're healing normally. Just my opinion though :(

I don't think the sites look too bad, but I do see the redness around the port site. Is the skin around the incisions hot to touch? It's kind of hard to see the swelling in the pic. The bruising is a normal part of healing. Is there any drainage? If there is, what color? Does it have an odor? I'm a nurse, but it's hard to tell from the pics if they are draining. The fact that you are spiking a temp does worry me. Especially 101.7. have you called your surgeon's office? I would definitely contact them. Anytime you have a temp means that there is probably an infection somewhere in your body. Keep us posted!!!

There is no drainage or smell. It is warm to the touch though. I just saw the surgeon 2 days ago regarding my intense pain (which was from diaphragm pain). I told him about the fever. He said he's not too concerned unless it gets up to 102. I will be seeing him for my routine follow up tomorrow. I just didn't know how urgent an infection should be considered. You think it should be fine until tomorrow?

It doesn't look infected. I was worried abotu an incision infection, too, but my Dr said unless I was running a fever (above 101), the site was hot and/or hard, not to worry too much.

If you're seeing him tomorrow, that'll be fine! If he's not to worried about the temp, then you're probably okay! The fact that there is no drainage or odor is definitely a good thing! Some swelling is normal during healing. I don't think the incisions look bad at all..I was just worried about your temp. :( Good luck at your doctors appt!

looks like its healing nicely

Okay, thank you all for your input. It puts my mind at ease. It seems I've been a nervous wreck about everything since the surgery.

If you are worried or just want to be safe, try dabbing it with white vinegar several times a day. When I had my 1st child by c-section, the nurse told me to dab my incision with white vinegar several times a day and it would heal just fine. I did and didn't have any trouble. Good luck!

Mine were the same but more red and I had red bumps all over my stomach and my dr. called me an antibiotic for 3wks. It is finally looking better but still bumpy.

I just got back from the 9am Dr. appt. They said it does look as if its slightly infected, so I will be starting an antibiotic today & hopefully this will take care of it. They want me to call them asap if it turns fire engine red or splotchy. I really hope it goes away quickly.

Just out of curiosity, what antibiotic did they give you? When I went in for a checkup post op, I told them I thought it was getting infected, so he wrote me a small prescription of amoxocylin.

I'm allergic to anything in the penicillin family, so they wrote me a prescription for Ciprofloxacin, generic for Cipro, to be taken twice a day for 7 days.

I hope you don't mind me bumping this thread. I just wanted to give an update.

It has now been 2 months & 1 day since surgery. The Cipro they gave me previously did not work. They then put me on Clindamycin for almost a month, which was also resistant. I had to insist on a blood culture because for some reason they would not do one previously. I finally just got the results back & I am positive for MRSA! Not only that, but it is a strain that is resistant to Clindamycin. They now have me on Bactrim. I am so frustrated beyond words...