Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where is my port?

I was banded on August 23rd. Now, I've read one-or-two threads on LBT talking about how a port feels.

My question is this...

Is the port usually put in the same place from person-to-person? If so, where can I find it?

I know it's in there somewhere! (it's like trying to find a needle in a large, blubbery haystack)

It's not that I'd like to spend hours examining myself, you understand, I'm just curious!

The placement of the port can vary from doctor to doctor, but it's usually located a few inches to the left or right of your belly button. It's underneath your largest incision. In my case, it's on the bottom left side of my belly. Try laying down to feel.

Mine is also under a considerable amount of blubber, so I can't feel much - just a slight hardness. :)

if you fumble this area you will find it i guess

Hmm... That is my largest scar, but it's quite high up, not where the port usually is at all. Still, this evening, I shall have a fiddle!

Some docs use a sternal placement, so that might indeed be where your port is. I have no idea why they do it in different places, may just be a physician's preference sort of thing.

Hey Andy - this evening when you're having a fiddle (looking for your port that is *g* ), do it lying down on the bed on your back. It makes it stick out a bit more that way.

Mine's about four inches over and two inches up to the left of my belly button, but it does tend to move around a bit depending on how much ab work I've done recently...

Hey Andy - this evening when you're having a fiddle (looking for your port that is *g* ), do it lying down on the bed on your back. It makes it stick out a bit more that way.

Mine's about four inches over and two inches up to the left of my belly button, but it does tend to move around a bit depending on how much ab work I've done recently...

Thanks. Later on I'll lie down and have a fiddle.

Mine is about 4 inches straight up from my belly button.

Mine is in right under my breast area in pretty much dead center it looks like. My doc said he tried to put them as high as possible, especially in us patients who pretty much know they will need a Tummy Tuck later.

Melissa

My port is right in the middle of the crease of my waist, just to the right of my navel, hidden quite well now I might add. I originally thought the band incision area was my port, but on my followup visit I corrected. If you use a couple of fingers together and push firmly against the area, you should be able to feel the port.

Hmm... That is my largest scar, but it's quite high up, not where the port usually is at all. Still, this evening, I shall have a fiddle!

and you are welcome

My DH's port is on his sternum, heh, when he was banded there would have been no easy way to access his port if it was on his mid-abdomen.

Sternum placements seem to be more common in men, since they don't have that whole bra band issue. Generally speaking of course :( Also sternum placements seem to be more popular with docs in the EU.