Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you in favor of the new health care reform?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the new health care reform?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Well, we should have known it wouldn't take long for the hypocritical republicans who bashed the stimulus and then took credit for it to their constituents to take credit for the healthcare bill that they ALL voted against.

HIR the Next Stimulus for the GOP?

share-icon-16x16.png

Wed Mar 24, 2010 at 06:30:05 PM PDT

This is a hoot: Chuck Grassley, Mr. Death Panels, is now touting HIR.

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) has long been a vocal critic of the Democrat's health reform efforts, but today he started taking credit for some provisions of the bill, and talking up his own role in crafting the legislation.

In a release sent out by his staff to reporters today, Grassley says the bill will "hold tax-exempt hospitals accountable for the federal tax benefits they receive" thanks to his work.

It's the stimulus all over again: Republicans fighting for all their worth to prevent governance, and then claiming credit for it when it passes despite their steadfast, and screaming, opposition.

Dems are ready, this time. The DSCC:

"Chuck Grassley has been in Washington for too long if he thinks Iowans did not notice his strenuous, strident, and spirited opposition to health care reform," DSCC spokesperson Eric Schultz said in a statement. "This is someone who did everything he could to stop the bill, but now thinks it is worth touting."

"Either he is a total hypocrite or he has taken March Madness to a whole new level," Schultz said in the DSCC statement today.

Republicans are obviously in a bit of tizzy, trying to figure out precisely how to respond to this setback. Some of them want full repeal, some of them maybe partial repeal and some of them, apparently, civil war. Taking credit for reform, however, would be about as blatantly hypocritical in grand Republican tradition as they could get. So kudos, I guess, for Grassley being willing to go there.

• from dailykos

I think PG posted this right wing propaganda earlier this year. You need to read more middle of the road info. No wonder you got people hiking in the woods trying to kill police and the president on your side. This garbage gets feed like Cereal to yahoos and they swallow it hook line and sinker. Most of everything you posted is right wing talking points and most balanced people don't believe them nor subcribe to that on a daily basis like you do.

The first complaint. Obama said Hillary wanted a mandate. According to your quote, obama never said what his position was... just that Hillary claimed it. He went in another direction talking about being able to afford it. The article implied he said he would never do it. It never states he said he would never do a mandate. LIE

You need to look at what you post. I must admit I hardly read your garbage because the depth of duplicitious rhetoric has enough truth to convince simple minds it is the truth. That is why the right wing nut jobs have convinced some intellegent people and all of the ignorant that they are right just by posting that kind of garbage and people like you take one portion of truth and become convince the whole thing is the truth. Just look at the example above. Rethugs are good at this. You just happen to be one of those people who believe all they write. You need to open your mind to other possibilities. I understand its all you know but, read other sites because this sight seems to be your default site and it is unbalanced.

By the way, I read your sight and others like it just to see what they say everyday on top of the left sights. A world of difference between the reporting. Republican sights don't critisize rethugs at all.... only democrats. I haven't seen one sight that is rethuglican critisize rethuglican. Not one in a fair and balanced way anyway. The democrats critisizes both sides. Obama get plenty of gripe from our side and so do the republicans.

You really need to get away from the extreme right because they are going to take the ignorant masses for a big ride.

I think PG posted this right wing propaganda earlier this year. You need to read more middle of the road info. No wonder you got people hiking in the woods trying to kill police and the president on your side.

Let's get one thing straight! I don't 'got' anyone hiking in the woods trying to kill police and the president on my side! And to suggest that those kind of people are associated with me is very insensitive.

This garbage gets feed like cereal to yahoos and they swallow it hook line and sinker. Most of everything you posted is right wing talking points and most balanced people don't believe them nor subcribe to that on a daily basis like you do.

The first complaint. Obama said Hillary wanted a mandate. According to your quote, obama never said what his position was... just that Hillary claimed it. He went in another direction talking about being able to afford it. The article implied he said he would never do it. It never states he said he would never do a mandate. LIE

You need to look at what you post. I must admit I hardly read your garbage because the depth of duplicitious rhetoric has enough truth to convince simple minds it is the truth.

One thing I notice about liberals. They insist they are superior in intelligence to anyone who may oppose their way of thinking. And they consistemtly feel the need to express how stupid others are. That right there should show you their lack of maturity. It is due to a lack of self esteem that people like you feel they need to belittle others. Does it make you feel good?

That is why the right wing nut jobs have convinced some intellegent people and all of the ignorant that they are right just by posting that kind of garbage and people like you take one portion of truth and become convince the whole thing is the truth. Just look at the example above. Rethugs are good at this. You just happen to be one of those people who believe all they write. You need to open your mind to other possibilities. I understand its all you know but, read other sites because this sight seems to be your default site and it is unbalanced.

And YOU need to open YOUR mind to the truth that your President is a LIAR!!!!!

By the way, I read your sight and others like it just to see what they say everyday on top of the left sights. A world of difference between the reporting. Republican sights don't critisize rethugs at all.... only democrats. I haven't seen one sight that is rethuglican critisize rethuglican. Not one in a fair and balanced way anyway. The democrats critisizes both sides. Obama get plenty of gripe from our side and so do the republicans.

You really need to get away from the extreme right because they are going to take the ignorant masses for a big ride.

good grief, patty. I'd think you'd be embarrassed to talk about lying by our president. The right wing lies if their lips are moving.

obama-care-mandate-calorie-count.jpg?w=500&h=300

Wonder what you would find if you frisked President Obama’s enormous socialized health-care reform bill?

Answer: Another anti-growth mandate!

Go figure! More hidden negatives involving President Obama’s health-care reform bill have surfaced. This is all starting to make sense now, because – according to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) – we had to pass the bill to

. Unfortunately, she might actually be right…

The Associated Press reports:

A requirement tucked into the nation’s massive health care bill will make calorie counts impossible for thousands of restaurants to hide and difficult for consumers to ignore.
More than 200,000 fast food and other chain restaurants will have to include calorie counts on menus, menu boards and even drive-throughs.

The new law, which applies to any restaurant with 20 or more locations, directs the Food and Drug Administration to create a new national standard for menu labeling, superseding a growing number of state and city laws. President Barack Obama was expected to sign the health care legislation Tuesday.

The idea is to make sure that customers process the calorie information as they are ordering. Many restaurants currently post nutritional information in a hallway, on a hamburger wrapper or on their Web site. The new law will make calories immediately available for most items.

“The nutrition information is right on the menu or menu board next to the name of the menu item, rather than in a pamphlet or in tiny print on a poster, so that consumers can see it when they are making ordering decisions,” says Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin, chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, who wrote the provision.

Talk about anti-business growth! Unfortunately restaurants aren’t the only thing getting attacked with the help of this Obama-Care mandate: Vending machines are also fair game:

The law will also apply to foods sold in vending machines, specifically those that do not have visible calorie listings on the front of the package.

Granted, knowing the exact number of calories in every single little item is not always a bad thing, but this is just ridiculous. I am pretty confidant that I can pick out the right food for myself, whether it’s healthy or loaded with everything that’s terrible for you.

Also, think of the negative economic impact this ‘mandate’ will have on thousands of small businesses across the country! Yes, the huge food chains – such as McDonalds and Applebees – will likely survive this petty mandate, but what about the food chains with just over 20 locations? Or how about the food chains with just under 20 locations, but plan on expanding their business in the near future? Those are the businesses that might not be able to fork up the extra money to have their entire menu tested at a lab, menus redesigned, and new drive-through boards installed outside. Unfortunately, we will probably be waving goodbye to quite a few jobs for teenagers and young adults.

Thank you President Obama, FDA, and other large government expansions for reassuring me that a McDonalds’ Big Mac hamburger is still not good for my health. I appreciate the heads up… I really do

Seriously Patty? You have a problem with restaurants having to tell you how many calories are in a meal? I was going to stop at Red Lobster because it is near my business and I hadn't had a chance to pack a lunch. I was going to order the fish and broccoli lunch. I pulled it up on my iphone guess what? It was 900 calories. 900. Baked fish and broccoli. Do you think that I ordered it? No. But how many people look at their phone. But maybe if it is printed on the menu they will figure out a better way to cook a piece of fish and some broccoli that doesn't make it 900 calories. Perfect example of how greed trumps customer. Red lobster will make a simple dish have huge calories just to make a profit and try and trick the public to eat it.

obama-care-mandate-calorie-count.jpg?w=500&h=300

Wonder what you would find if you frisked President Obama’s enormous socialized health-care reform bill?

Answer: Another anti-growth mandate!

Go figure! More hidden negatives involving President Obama’s health-care reform bill have surfaced. This is all starting to make sense now, because – according to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) – we had to pass the bill to

. Unfortunately, she might actually be right…

The Associated Press reports:

A requirement tucked into the nation’s massive health care bill will make calorie counts impossible for thousands of restaurants to hide and difficult for consumers to ignore.
More than 200,000 fast food and other chain restaurants will have to include calorie counts on menus, menu boards and even drive-throughs.

The new law, which applies to any restaurant with 20 or more locations, directs the Food and Drug Administration to create a new national standard for menu labeling, superseding a growing number of state and city laws. President Barack Obama was expected to sign the health care legislation Tuesday.

The idea is to make sure that customers process the calorie information as they are ordering. Many restaurants currently post nutritional information in a hallway, on a hamburger wrapper or on their Web site. The new law will make calories immediately available for most items.

“The nutrition information is right on the menu or menu board next to the name of the menu item, rather than in a pamphlet or in tiny print on a poster, so that consumers can see it when they are making ordering decisions,” says Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin, chairman of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, who wrote the provision.

Talk about anti-business growth! Unfortunately restaurants aren’t the only thing getting attacked with the help of this Obama-Care mandate: Vending machines are also fair game:

The law will also apply to foods sold in vending machines, specifically those that do not have visible calorie listings on the front of the package.

Granted, knowing the exact number of calories in every single little item is not always a bad thing, but this is just ridiculous. I am pretty confidant that I can pick out the right food for myself, whether it’s healthy or loaded with everything that’s terrible for you.

Also, think of the negative economic impact this ‘mandate’ will have on thousands of small businesses across the country! Yes, the huge food chains – such as McDonalds and Applebees – will likely survive this petty mandate, but what about the food chains with just over 20 locations? Or how about the food chains with just under 20 locations, but plan on expanding their business in the near future? Those are the businesses that might not be able to fork up the extra money to have their entire menu tested at a lab, menus redesigned, and new drive-through boards installed outside. Unfortunately, we will probably be waving goodbye to quite a few jobs for teenagers and young adults.

Thank you President Obama, FDA, and other large government expansions for reassuring me that a McDonalds’ Big Mac hamburger is still not good for my health. I appreciate the heads up… I really do

People need to have the information available to make good food choices. Obesity is an enormous cost to our healthcare systerm. Every tool that we can have should be used. I don't want to have to find out the calories from a website on in the hall on a bulletin board. I don't always know what restaurant I am going to to check out their website in advance. It should be right there on the menu. What is so hard about doing that?

I could type that up in an afternoon, send it to a printer and have several copies made for my menus if I were a small (20 places) business.

I am sure it is within their problem solving ability and budget to do so.

Geez, you'd think we were asking them to do the impossible.

Lighten up, this is a good thing.

Am I the only one who is curious about where patty found that post about calorie counts being mandated? I'm going to start posting stuff that my kids write. They have as much credibility.

Leigha, have you ever eaten at a Red Robin? We go there for lunch sometimes. I thought I was doing okay with my choices until I saw some of the calorie counts of their meals. They're worse than I could have imagined! I have a feeling you shouldn't eat anything there.

And what about Long John Silver? You never hear much about the calories in their foods but do they have anything at all that isn't dripping in grease? I get indigestion just thinking about it.

I love the idea of public eateries having to post their nutritional values and calorie counts. I also would dearly love for the health department to post the scores for food handling on every restaurant door. We were shocked at the number of demerits our local Red, Hot & Blue got from the health department.

Our local TV station tells about health department demerits, (for non-advertisers, of course) I have literally ate out 3 times in the last 6 months. Every time I try, I look at the health information on line and end up cooking. No wonder we are a fat nation. The dollar trumps the needs of the people.

People need to have the information available to make good food choices. Obesity is an enormous cost to our healthcare systerm. Every tool that we can have should be used. I don't want to have to find out the calories from a website on in the hall on a bulletin board. I don't always know what restaurant I am going to to check out their website in advance. It should be right there on the menu. What is so hard about doing that?

I could type that up in an afternoon, send it to a printer and have several copies made for my menus if I were a small (20 places) business.

I am sure it is within their problem solving ability and budget to do so.

Geez, you'd think we were asking them to do the impossible.

Lighten up, this is a good thing.

You don't think that patty authored that rant, do you?

You don't think that patty authored that rant, do you?

I don't know. Is that Scott Brown holding up that scale?

If so, I would think he would be in favor of this. He probably counts calories to stay in shape. You never know when some magazine might be doing a nude layout of the republicans of the senate. :thumbup:

I'm sorry to have to say this, but when you have a person who has had bariatric surgery, and that person sides with restaurants that don't want to post the calorie counts of the food they serve, I don't think you could have a more clear example of a person who is so indoctrinated that they rant against their own best interest. I would like to thank you for proving my theory. :thumbup:

Seriously Patty? You have a problem with restaurants having to tell you how many calories are in a meal? I was going to stop at Red Lobster because it is near my business and I hadn't had a chance to pack a lunch. I was going to order the fish and broccoli lunch. I pulled it up on my iphone guess what? It was 900 calories. 900. Baked fish and broccoli. Do you think that I ordered it? No. But how many people look at their phone. But maybe if it is printed on the menu they will figure out a better way to cook a piece of fish and some broccoli that doesn't make it 900 calories. Perfect example of how greed trumps customer. Red lobster will make a simple dish have huge calories just to make a profit and try and trick the public to eat it.

No. I have a problem with the government enforcing yet another regulation. Will there be no end?

even when the regulations may benefit me. It is principle. The government already has too much control over what we as citizen's can and can not do. When we allow them to regulate every aspects of our lives, they will eventually be controlling us and every tiny thing we do.

Am I the only one who is curious about where patty found that post about calorie counts being mandated? I'm going to start posting stuff that my kids write. They have as much credibility.

Leigha, have you ever eaten at a Red Robin? We go there for lunch sometimes. I thought I was doing okay with my choices until I saw some of the calorie counts of their meals. They're worse than I could have imagined! I have a feeling you shouldn't eat anything there.

And what about Long John Silver? You never hear much about the calories in their foods but do they have anything at all that isn't dripping in grease? I get indigestion just thinking about it.

I love the idea of public eateries having to post their nutritional values and calorie counts. I also would dearly love for the health department to post the scores for food handling on every restaurant door. We were shocked at the number of demerits our local Red, Hot & Blue got from the health department.

New Obama-Care Mandate: Mandatory Calorie Counts!