Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

would you do this? long, sorry...

I'm not too far off from you in terms of height, weight and age

43 I was 240lbs and 5'3". I know nothing at all about the diet pills--never had them.

You say that your best friend is supportive, you don't say if you are married--having a spouse who is supportive is a huge help.

As far as everyone else--they are not the ones in your head and body--screw em.

Weight will be harder and harder to take off as you age, thats the way that its been for me.

Do what you want to do.

I would have the surgery.

I am 5'4'' and have stuggled with my weight for the last 10 years.

everyone keeps saying "you are crazy, you look fine" or "this is so rediculous , that is for seriously obese people etc". just excercise more (everyone else in my family is skinny)

Just a few things to put this all into perspective. Fat people have no problem losing weight. Our problem is keeping it off.

The Lap Band is not a magic bullet. You'll still have to practice self-control and change your lifestyle and habits. What the lap band does is create a sense of fullness but it's still up to you to stop when you're full. It's still going to be up to you to decide on healthier choices.

I read a number of lap band forums and I sit here shaking my head when I read about people who've had the band put on and go to creative lengths to continue to eat the way they did before the surgery. One lady actually said that she puts her 'must have' chocolate cake in a blender with milk and it goes down easily that way. She should've saved her money.

Only you can decide whether the Lap Band is right for you and if you do decide, tell your well meaning relatives that you've made your decision and if they have nothing positive to contribute, it is not a subject up for discussion.

I would definitely do it. I wish I had been able to do it years ago when I was struggling to stay 50 pounds lighter and not had to wait until my body was plagued with osteoarthritis. I fought it all my life and it's a losing battle. You know you will go back to 200 so do it now and get it all off and keep it off and keep your body healthy!

bless u .I feel like I just need the votes of confidence or that someone is in my corner, so it feels so good to hear that Im not insane, lazy or vain for wanting this.

jennifer:I think that this really is an important part of my decision. its not so much that I must be at 125 to be happy as it is that I know that i I stop taking these diet pills I willdefinately go back up to 200. Im on these diet pills now and I still struggle . I actually DID TRY to kick the diet pills the first time I started on adipex about 5 years ago and back up to around 200lbs in a matter of months. which is why about 2 years ago i started back on adipex again.

I just had my thyrid checked and doc said its fine. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT, GUYS

I'm not too far off from you in terms of height, weight and age

43 I was 240lbs and 5'3". I know nothing at all about the diet pills--never had them.

You say that your best friend is supportive, you don't say if you are married--having a spouse who is supportive is a huge help.

As far as everyone else--they are not the ones in your head and body--screw em.

Weight will be harder and harder to take off as you age, thats the way that its been for me.

Do what you want to do.

I would have the surgery.

THANKS ! I am not married. and my best friend has seen my yoyo ing weight and struggle and is very supportive.

:tt2::tt1:thansk everyone, I think I have all the imput I need.

Im so happy that I found this board because I am sure that I will come rely on it during my journey somewhat.. what a great resourse.

I think that part of the issue with my family is that they dont even want to hear much about the procedure and seem to be confusing it the more invasive and risky gastric bypass surgery. maybe in time they will hear me out and believe me. Im sure that once the procedure is done they will be there for me. its just beforehand that they will try to talk me out of it. :thumbup:

Im 5'4 and although i was 224 when i had the band my average weight was approx 190/ I tried diet pills also and they are awful. I think lapband works for those with lower bmi's i would go for it...best thing i ever did.

Im 5'4 and although i was 224 when i had the band my average weight was approx 190/ I tried diet pills also and they are awful. I think LAP-BAND® works for those with lower bmi's i would go for it...best thing i ever did.

:thumbup:thanks for your reply!

I personally wouldn't do it. Lap-band surgery isn't easy - it can be painful, frustrating and a shock to the system. It's a drastic step and should only be used by those whose weight is seriously affecting their ability to live a normal life.

If I was just over-weight (instead of having a bmi of 39) I wouldn't have contemplated it.

thanks for all the replies, I think I am going to close the thread as I think I've gotten enough feedback.

but again, thanks everyone!

I'm surprised that the diet pills are actually still working. Most of them lose their effectiveness after you have been on them for a while.

I managed to get down to 53kg about 5 years ago taking Reductil. I regained and was prescribed them again. The second time they made no difference whatsoever.

I got banded in June with a BMI of 32. My BMI is now down to 25 and I have another 5.5kg to lose to reach my goal.

I would get banded again in a flash. I wish I had done it years ago instead of all the other things I tried.

Only you can decide, in consultation with your Dr, if banding is right for you. But don't let the fact that you have a lower BMI put you off. The sooner you stop taking the diet pills the better as they are really not good for you. A band is a far better option than continuing with those.

no, a thousand times no

I think it is a mistake to seek others opinions about something so personal. You can never please everyone, you can go crazy trying. You have to take responsibility and just do what feels right way down in your heart. I think you already know what that is. I only have a BMI of 33 also, and I just found someone who would do it, I was sure it was right for me, and I am totally glad I did it. The best way to keep from offending others, is to just not tell them. I live in a small town, so I did not want people to know until I was sucessful with weight loss. I am losing and a few have noticed, but I am still not ready to tell them how I am doing it. One other thought. Say you decide not to do it because of what others think!! Would you be able to live your life without resenting them at least a little? Just food for thought!!!! D....

I'm surprised that the diet pills are actually still working. Most of them lose their effectiveness after you have been on them for a while.

I managed to get down to 53kg about 5 years ago taking Reductil. I regained and was prescribed them again. The second time they made no difference whatsoever.

I got banded in June with a BMI of 32. My BMI is now down to 25 and I have another 5.5kg to lose to reach my goal.

I would get banded again in a flash. I wish I had done it years ago instead of all the other things I tried.

Only you can decide, in consultation with your Dr, if banding is right for you. But don't let the fact that you have a lower BMI put you off. The sooner you stop taking the diet pills the better as they are really not good for you. A band is a far better option than continuing with those.

Im pretty sure Im gonna do it! the pills are bad and without them Im sure to be at 200lbs. I want to enjoy the most out of this life that I can! now concentrating on my next task of kicking the pills. thats probably gonna be more difficult that the surgery. didnt take a pill today and my appetite was out of control!

I would do it. I wish I would have done it sooner, but I am so happy that I've done it regardless. Just remember, that as everyone on here has stated and through out this board, it is very much so a lifestyle change. You have to be willing to commit to changing what you eat, exercising, and focusing on the complete picture of it all. I read that you eat greasy food....:sad: big no no in any diet. Change that immediately. Drink lots of Water, and being on low to no carbs is good but also incoproate more exercising. I think you'll succeed. Good luck!:sad:

Thanks Foxxy,

I promise to keep you all posted on my journey!