Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, this might be kinda gross and personal, but I gotta figure out what's goin' on, if it was my bad hygeine or what.

I was one of those folks who did not take well to surgery. I was miserable. Surgery was on a Monday, I didn't shower until Fri. afternoon. I also wasn't wearing a bra and no undies, just elastic waisted sweat shorts. Over that first weekend I started experiencing some abdominal itching and thought it was the incisions healing. But then when I went for shower #2 on Sunday, hubby noticed that I had a rash under my breasts and under the tummy roll.

I have been putting Gold Bond Medicated powder on it and that helps, but there a couple of spots that just don't seem to want to go away. I might add, I am showering every day now and wearing a bra.

Has anyone else experienced any kind of rash? I can't figure out what it might be caused by, surely not just being dirty.

Any advice on how to make the last stubborn spots go away?

Thanks

Okay, this might be kinda gross and personal, but I gotta figure out what's goin' on, if it was my bad hygeine or what.

I was one of those folks who did not take well to surgery. I was miserable. Surgery was on a Monday, I didn't shower until Fri. afternoon. I also wasn't wearing a bra and no undies, just elastic waisted sweat shorts. Over that first weekend I started experiencing some abdominal itching and thought it was the incisions healing. But then when I went for shower #2 on Sunday, hubby noticed that I had a rash under my breasts and under the tummy roll.

I have been putting Gold Bond Medicated powder on it and that helps, but there a couple of spots that just don't seem to want to go away. I might add, I am showering every day now and wearing a bra.

Has anyone else experienced any kind of rash? I can't figure out what it might be caused by, surely not just being dirty.

Thanks

Hello, I had something similar on my stomach on the right side. I mean it itched bad. I didnt really pay much attention to it until I was to go in for my first fill I asked my Dr what it could be, and honestly told me he wasnt sure. He didnt think it had anything to do with the surgery. Told me to get some Benadryl cream and just keep an eye on it. Which I did, and in about 5 days it was gone. Not really sure what it was, but I got it about a week after surgery, and after useing the cream it went away. Just my two cents.

I have read on here that some people react to the stuff they put on your tummy before doing surgery. It could be a result of that.

Try some Boudreaux's Butt Paste. It's where they sell baby things since it's used for diaper rash. It works!

What seems to help me if I get that sort of thing is anti-fungal cream, like miconozole or what you would buy for yeast infections. Also.. keep it dry, I usually try to dry my crevices with a hair dryer after showering, it helps in healing and prevention. I have "skin issues"... always something on my body flaring up... :mad:

If you were sweating under your breasts and tummy, it could very well be caused from that. The best thing to do is keep it clean and dry. You might also put some cortisone cream on it. Next time you feel bad and don't feel like showering, wash those areas with baby wipes and be sure to get the area underneath completely dry. You might also put deodorant on those areas after you clean them. That should help with the sweating problem.

Joan

try a hydrocortizone cream and perhaps an ointment like polysporin might work if you have an ozzy rash. keep it dry of course.

I have had a lot of personal experience with rashes - I have very sensitive skin. It sounds like the rash under your breasts and tummy roll is a yeast rash. It is like having diaper rash or athlete's foot, but just in a different place. It probably has a weird smell, almost sweet, and you may have a sticky moist discharge from it. The discomfort is more of a stinging burn than an itch. The best thing I have found for it by far is Resinol diaper rash cream. You usually have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter, but it will dry that rash up in no time! Slather it on after you shower or clean the area and dry it well. Keeping the area clean and dry is extremely important. If you can't shower, use an antibacterial baby wipe to get anywhere that skin touches skin on your body. Pay particular attention to your breasts, tummy rolls, and the spot where your thighs meet your groin area.

I tend to get rashes like this if I sweat a lot, and don't immediately jump in the shower. Like I said, I have very sensitive skin. Not showering for several days could also cause it, considering we all sweat a tiny amount every day, even if we're just chilling out on the sofa. Fungus loves warm moist places!

Now, I just had my surgery on the 14th, and let me tell you, I had a major allergic reaction to something. I had hives all over my entire abdomen, hips, groin, on the insides of my arms, and down the back of my legs. After getting to the point that the itching kept me awake at night, I finally had to get a decadron (corticosteroid) shot to stop the reaction. I'm still itchy today, but hydrocortisone cream keeps it at bay. Most likely I had a reaction to the betadine or some medication they gave me. That rash was more of an itchy, burning, dry rash than the one it sounds like you have.

If your rash doesn't clear up with the anti-fungal cream, and you can't stand it any longer, call your doctor. They can prescribe a stronger anti-fungal cream or powder. Good luck!

Thanks

It sounds like a yeast rash like the previous poster stated. Most of the above mentioned things will help, but I suggest you let your doctor (pcp) look, so he/she can start documenting it. If it continues, you MAY get a portion of PS paid for in the future after your weight has stabilized.

FatMom, what you are describing sounds like the result of skin touching skin for a long period of time without regular washing. I suggest washing the areas well with an antibacterial soap (such as SafeGuard or Dial), drying fully (blow it with a hair dryer after you think it's dry) and apply a roll on antipesperant and blow that dry with the hair dryer. Should be gone in a couple of days. It was that long stretch with no shower that did you in. Your skin produces oils which make it damp even if it doesn't really feel damp and that brought on the rash. This is the same sort of rash that people experience after they've lost a good bit of weight and have a panniculus.

Wonderful suggestions. Thank each of you! I tried Caladryl last night and this morning and it seems to be working, but if it doesn't clear up I will try some of your other suggestions next. I have my follow up with the surgeon on Monday, so I'm hoping ot have it cleared up by then so I don't have to ask him about it.

I am pretty sure it was my poor hygeine in the days after surgery. Wish I'd know about baby wipes then!

Thanks ever so much!

I have an itchy rash, too. It is on my back and is radiating around to my stomach. I guess it is hives. I called the dr and they said they doubted it is related to the lap band.

When I called the surgeon's office about my rash, they said to go to my family doctor. If you suspect an allergic reaction like hives (and your symptoms aren't severe), try taking Benadryl every 4-6 hours for 24 hours. If that doesn't help, your rash gets worse, or you develop other symptoms, go to the doctor, because you may need something stronger like I did. Mine progressively got worse throughout the week, and I was to the point where it bothered me to even have clothes on. I didn't want anything touching my skin; it felt like the nerve endings were on fire. Cold compresses help, if your itching is unbearable, and try not to let the area get too hot.

Check this Wikipedia article on hives and compare your rash. Mine looked like the picture of the guy's back, but it was all over the front of my body from the chest to groin and around the hips. The ones on my arms and legs were less severe.

I agree with crzytchr... go to the doc for documentation!!! I am going to consider that for every little thing I get... could help down the road for excess skin surgery!!

I have sensitive skin also and I am prone to all sorts of things. I got a rash from the glue that the doctor used on my incisions, they were itchy!! Hydrocortisone helped though..

Good luck!!