Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shakes and the Unhappy Tummy

I don't officially start my pre-op diet until next week, but I thought I'd test fly the shakes before I have to depend on them entirely just in case things didn't work out. Being allergic to soy and milk, I've managed to scrounge around and find shakes that have neither so yay me. I was expecting to spend three weeks puking my guts out because of allergies.

So I tried Vega's chocolate shake last night. Other than the fact it tastes nothing like chocolate, which I can deal with, all it took was a few mouthfuls before I knew something wasn't good. The shake didn't sit well with my tummy at all, and if I have to take these for three weeks and it continues like this, I'm going to have the cleanest digestive system in the history of medicine :thumbdown:. I do field work so I spend hours at a time far away from bathroom facilities. This could be a problem!

Did anybody else have this same problem? Were you able to get your body used to the shake if you introduced it gradually, or was is pretty much a no-go no matter what you did? I'm already on a no dairy, no soy, gluten-free, no artificial sweetner shake, so there isn't much chance of getting a more inert product.

Mothers Market has a shake that has pea protein.....I am sure you can find it online if you google "pea protein". Hope you find something that works :thumbdown:

Have you told your doctor about your allergies? Maybe, at least for the pre-op diet, you could concentrate on getting in lowfat, lowcarb Protein from other sources rather than shakes.

There are some Protein drinks that aren't milk or soy based. I drink Isopure, when I need a Protein boost. It's more along the lines of a Gatorade type drink than a thick shake type. I'm sure there are others on the market too. (There was an ad on The Biggest Loser last night, for a powdered fruit flavored protein that they mixed with water).

The store I go to carries Isopure, but the first link I found was to Isopure Plus. I don't know how they're different. The Isopure I drink has zero carbs, 40 grams protein, 160 cals per 20 oz. I'm only using it to supplement my diet on occasion, so I only drink half a bottle.

I hope you find something that doesn't upset your stomach.

Here's a link: What is Isopure Plus | Isopure Plus Ingredients

Q. Is Isopure Plus recommended for people who are lactose intolerant?

A. It sure is. Isopure Plus Nutritional Drink and Zero Carb Protein Drink are both free of lactose.

Q. What makes Isopure Plus different from other nutritional and Protein Drinks?

A. The most obvious difference is that Isopure Plus is clear—not thick or milky like other nutrition drinks. Another distinguishing characteristic of Isopure Plus is that while many nutrition drinks contain less than 10 grams of protein, we pack 15 grams into each eight-ounce bottle.

Edited by kiz

Mothers Market has a shake that has pea Protein.....I am sure you can find it online if you google "pea protein". Hope you find something that works :thumbdown:

Yeah, the one I tried is a pea and hemp Protein.< /p>

Have you told your doctor about your allergies? Maybe, at least for the pre-op diet, you could concentrate on getting in lowfat, lowcarb Protein from other sources rather than shakes.

There are some Protein drinks that aren't milk or soy based. I drink Isopure, when I need a protein boost.

Isopure is, unfortunately, whey based. That brings me right back to my original problem of a milk allergy. Plus, it's damn near impossible to get in Canada. We have different laws surrounding food and drugs than the US and it causes a lot of things that are available in the US not to be available here... although I'm thinking I didn't miss much by missing out on the olestra debacle. Does the US still use that stuff or was the anal leakage just a little too much for the average citizen?

My doctor knows about my allergies and we were hoping that the Vega shakes would get around those.

Well, darn, about the Isopure. Shows what I know. Sorry.

I have a feeling the people who had problems with olestra were either more sensitive than my family to the product or ate a whole lot of chips (I only had olestra with Lays). We never had any problems with it, but I personally liked the baked variety of Lays much better. I thought olestra was oily and had left an off flavor. I'm pretty sure that they're still on the market, but just grab the baked Lays when we want chips, so I haven't paid attention.

Isopure Plus (15gs Protein in 8 oz bottles) is available in Canada!! Check out their Canadian website at www.isopureplus.ca.

Isopure Plus is a pure whey Protein isolate and due to the ion-exchange process may not contain allergans that affect you. Request a sample via their website and they may send you a sample to try before you purchase.

Good luck!!

Isopure Plus (15gs Protein in 8 oz bottles) is available in Canada!! Check out their Canadian website at www.isopureplus.ca.

Isopure Plus is a pure whey Protein isolate and due to the ion-exchange process may not contain allergans that affect you. Request a sample via their website and they may send you a sample to try before you purchase.

Good luck!!

What's the difference between Isopure and Isopure Plus? The store I buy my Isopure doesn't carry the Plus. Your web site says CVS carries it, but I when I was at CVS today, it turns out they don't. Thanks.

I hope you find that Isopure Plus does work for you, oni.

Kiz - Isopure Plus is currently being loaded into all CVS stores nationally. The process is supposed to be completed in all stores by shortly. Both Isopure and Isopure Plus utilize the same Ion Exchange Whey Protein however the 8oz formula was modified to accomodate not only bariatric patients but anyone who needs to supplement their protein intake and Plus is available with and without carbs based on the individuals needs. In addition, Plus is packaged in small convenient plastic bottles rather than the 20 oz glass bottles the original athletes formula is packaged in.

The big glass bottles aren't all that travel friendly, and I only drink 1/2 bottle on days I need a Protein boost, so the new packaging will be great for me. I'll check back a CVS at a later date. Thanks again.

Try muscle milk light

So far all the Canadian places which say they carry Isopure don't list it in their product listings on their websites. Ugh. I'm probably going to have to go to each one to find out they don't really carry it. Been there, done that before.

Edit: Shopper's actually carries Isopure Plus. It's $15.49+tx for a 6 pack of 237mL bottles. OUCH!

Edited by onikenbai
Update