Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band "Therapy" - Gained 40lbs Don't Hate Me

I was banded in June 2006 (started at 300lbs) and lost weight down to 185! I felt fantastic!

Two years later, I went on a scuba trip/internship on a remote island in honduras and got an obstruction - had to rush home... anyway, i was fine after the surgeon removed all the Fluid.

Stupid, really really stupid me waited 7 months, idly eating my weight back before getting any Fluid back in... i'm truly ashamed of my ignorance, and i've since been receiving fills. I have the old 10cc band, but am stuck at 230lbs.

Today I went to get a fill, because I feel like I have very little restriction. I went in at 9.9cc and after the provider add .2cc she advised a barium swallow to check out why I wasn't feeling restriction. I did the swallow and COMPLETE obstruction. Everything looked perfect - no dilation, no slippage NOTHING.

She informed me that some patients have been reporting a "de-sensitizing" of their pouch, losing the very missed feeling of "OMG IF I TAKE ANOTHER BITE I'LL EXPLODE".. I'm telling you- I want this back so much, I not only miss the older newer me but I miss not being hungry all the time.

She suggested removing 2cc and placed me on a full liquid diet for 2 weeks, followed by a soft food diet for 2 weeks. She said they've had varied success with giving the pouch a break- possible regaining sensation.

Has anyone had this experience? Does the sensation come back? I need advice from anyone!

Edited by jamitchell23
improper submission

Sorry you are going through this. I hope the changing up your food for a couple of weeks helps. Don't hate yourself, just start over and get going. Even when I did not have restriction I still measured out my food and only eat that much whether I could eat more or not. Maybe you are relying on the band too much. If you measure and only eat what you know you are suppose to you should lose. Hope all works out for you. Keep in touch!!

I was banded in July of 2006 and I have also suffered the same thing you went through only I gained 70 pounds. I moved away from where I had my surgery and had to find a new surgeon for fills.. the first time I saw the new doc he told me that my band was erroding and took all of the Fluid out of my band and made me go almost 6 months taking stomach pills and no fills. I gained back a wopping 70 pounds I had my band refilled in Feb of 2009 and I lost 30 pounds and now I am at a standstill I can't lose weight to save my life my body is just at a hold up. I am going to the doctor on Thursday. I just wanted to let you know that no one who has been in almost the same shoes can hate you. I just wanted to say Hang in there and I wish you the best

Met with surgeon today. I have to have a complete revision.

:thumbup:

I too had to have an unfill. I got an adjustment in Jan. 2009 and as the months went on, my restriction got tighter and tighter. I was excited because I was losing weight and feeling good. Then about Aug. I began PB'ing often, way too often, and kept putting off going to the Dr. because I was losing weight and so many people were noticing! But my hesitation caused major stomach swelling and by Sept. I was completely blocked to the point no fluids would stay down. I rushed to the ER after calling the Dr. and they removed all 6cc. I was able to drink and keep Fluid down.

The Dr. would not see me for another adjustment for 2 months to give the swelling time to go down and during that time I ate like there was no tomorrow. Now, I'm not saying I ate a whole pizza or anything like that, but after only eating grilled chicken, salad, and fish for 9 months, I ate anything I wanted, just in smaller portions because I still had some limit to how much my stomach could hold. Well, by the time I went in for an adjustment, I had packed on 30lbs. New adjustment of 3cc did nothing and by the time I went in for the 2nd adjustment after the unfill, I had packed on a total of 40lbs. So much of my hard work was down the drain. I got very depressed. So I had one more adjustment a couple of weeks ago, up to 5cc and now have some restriction, but have been losing 5lbs, putting 5lbs back on. Up and down. I can't eat everything I want, but can not get full on the right foods. So, I am not giving up and you shouldn't either. I had the surgery because I am a food addict and this is not going to fix itself overnight. Hang in there. I sometimes have thoughts of wanting to be like I was this summer, surviving on 1 chicken breast for the whole day, but then I realize that was not good for me either.

It is so comforting to know that I am not the only one this has happened to. I was banded in April of 2008. It was pretty slow going for the first three months. I only lost 10 lbs. Finally, in July I had my third fill which gave me proper restriction. I lost 45lbs by December of that year, and I felt great. I finally wasn't consumed by thoughts of eating. In January of 2009 I got sick. My pouch was stretched. With only three pounds to go to reach my half way mark, and only 3 lbs to go until I weighed less than 200lbs ( that hadn't happened for at least 10 years) I had to have a total unfill. Because I lost my insurance (and was having a field day at the chinese buffets) I wasn't able to get a fill until 4 months later. Although the first time around it took me only 3 fills to get to my sweetspot of 6.7, for some reason, almost a year later it has taken 5 fills just to get back up to 6.0 cc. I have restriction mainly in the morning, but not much in the evening. I am a food addict to the highest degree and this has been very hard. I still work out HARD 4 to 6 days a week, but I have still put on 28 of the 45lbs that I have lost. Some days I eat band friendly, some days I don't. I know that when I was successful I was probably relying too much on the band. But I just can't seem to get back on the wagon. I feel just at controlled by food as I did pre-band, and it is horrible. It is almost like I was in prison all of my life. Then somebody let me out for a few minutes last year and I finally felt the sun on my face when I finally had some success with this weight thing. Then suddenly I feel like I'm back in solitary confinement and I am desperately trying to win my freedom again. Food has once again become a source of comfort for me,. When I had full restriction I couldnt eat comfort foods for the most part. This year has been very stressful (seperated from husband, became single mother with two small, wonderful children ages 4 and 2, and also was layed off ) I am considering getting another fill, but I really want to try to fix the "head" stuff first. But then, again, while I don that I am scared that I might gain back the few pounds that now seperates me from my pre-band weight. I dunno.

It is so comforting to know that I am not the only one this has happened to. I was banded in April of 2008. It was pretty slow going for the first three months. I only lost 10 lbs. Finally, in July I had my third fill which gave me proper restriction. I lost 45lbs by December of that year, and I felt great. I finally wasn't consumed by thoughts of eating. In January of 2009 I got sick. My pouch was stretched. With only three pounds to go to reach my half way mark, and only 3 lbs to go until I weighed less than 200lbs ( that hadn't happened for at least 10 years) I had to have a total unfill. Because I lost my insurance (and was having a field day at the chinese buffets) I wasn't able to get a fill until 4 months later. Although the first time around it took me only 3 fills to get to my sweetspot of 6.7, for some reason, almost a year later it has taken 5 fills just to get back up to 6.0 cc. I have restriction mainly in the morning, but not much in the evening. I am a food addict to the highest degree and this has been very hard. I still work out HARD 4 to 6 days a week, but I have still put on 28 of the 45lbs that I have lost. Some days I eat band friendly, some days I don't. I know that when I was successful I was probably relying too much on the band. But I just can't seem to get back on the wagon. I feel just at controlled by food as I did pre-band, and it is horrible. It is almost like I was in prison all of my life. Then somebody let me out for a few minutes last year and I finally felt the sun on my face when I finally had some success with this weight thing. Then suddenly I feel like I'm back in solitary confinement and I am desperately trying to win my freedom again. Food has once again become a source of comfort for me,. When I had full restriction I couldnt eat comfort foods for the most part. This year has been very stressful (seperated from husband, became single mother with two small, wonderful children ages 4 and 2, and also was layed off ) I am considering getting another fill, but I really want to try to fix the "head" stuff first. But then, again, while I don that I am scared that I might gain back the few pounds that now seperates me from my pre-band weight. I dunno.

You should definately start with getting to the Dr for another fill! Waiting to fix the "head" stuff first makes no sense.

That will be an ongoing process for ever...use the tool you chose.

Go back to the basics and don't go without SOMETHING in you're stomach in the morning. Alot of us are tighter in the A.M. so have a Protein shake at least (I have a hot coffee flavored Protein Drink to loosen things up a bit). If you go without you will only be setting yourself up for over eatting in the P.M., when the band is not as tight.

Going for a fill and full liquids for a while will kick start you and shrink you're pouch a bit also.

I know you know all these things but sometimes in the "thick" of things we tend to over complicate things in our minds...It's really just as easy as going back to the basics and just taking a step in the right direction! Good Luck to you and keep everyone updated on you're progress :smile: