Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cold Feet: Any try to follow diet without getting banded?

I am in the process of getting approved by my insurance for the Lap Band Surgery. I have met with the psychologist and dietician...I have already recieved the "after surgery" diet plan. What I am wondering is, has anyone tried to follow the diet without actually having the surgery (ie drinking lots of Water, Protein shakes, 3 small balanced meals, etc) and been able to loose weight successfully? Admittedly, I have NEVER tried to follow such and extreme diet (mainly weight watchers int he past).

I have an 18 month old daughter, and my husband passed away 3 weeks after she was born (and she was 14 weeks premature), so i am all that she has. I want to be healthy for myself and my daughter, and the prospect of surgery (especially since the day is getting closer) is suddenly making me very nervous.

I've gained about 50 lbs since my husband passed away and my daughter was born (I'm an emotional eater), but plan to start going to therapy to learn a more productive way to work out my feelings.

I'm just wondering if following the diet is worth a try before going through surgery? I know it would be VERY hard to follow, so I was wondering what other peoples experiences have been.

Any and all infor that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

PS - I am 5'9 and weigh 270 lbs., and would like to loose about 100 lbs over the next year. (I also was NOT required to do the 6 month diet by my insurance - Amerihealth).

I believe the success rate in the USA with diet and exercise alone is something like 5%. You may be one of the lucky 5 in 100. And I can tell you that the lap band doesn't help much with emotional hunger. It helps with physiological hunger. As they say, the band is around your stomach, not your head. If your hunger is "head hunger" the band doesn't address it. Therapy is a great start for that.

Any surgery is frightening for most of us, and being trepidatious, anxious, unsure, is a normal reaction. Only you know if those feelings are enough to stop you from continuing. Frankly, some DO decide not to go through with it. Some do and wish they hadn't, but many of us proceed and are so thankful that we did!

If you have specific fears (like about the other post on blood clots) I don't mind addressing them with you (if I can) and your doc and/or his nurse should also be a great source of info and facts.

There are no guarantees in life; you know this as well or better than anyone. But we have to move forward and do what we can. The band may be perfect for you. It may not. You won't know until you try, and only you can decide if the odds are in your favor.

First off.. let me say congratulations on your daughter, and please accept my condolences on the loss of your husband.

I agree with Restless Monkey, generally diets don't work (as we all know...having done them again and again) She is also right about the band only addressing your physical hunger. "Head hunger" is something entirely different.

I know of one person who, did in fact, follow a post op diet to lose weight before surgery. She lost so much she decided against surgery!! All I know is I, personally, would not be able to sustain a large loss..... but that doesn't mean you (or anyone else) can't.

I will never regret my band, though I can say it is not right for everyone. Unfortunetly this is a decision only you can make for you.

If you ever want or need to talk on a one-to-one basis, please feel free to PM me.

julie

I tried to follow the diet years ago and I couldn't do it. I love food and it loves me...LOL!

Like KayleighsMommy said...I have never regretted getting the band, even at the roughest times.

For once in my life, I actually am happy with my body. What a shame it took me so long to get here.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Joanie :biggrin:)

I would hazard the guess that EVERYBODY who has a lap band tried dieting more than once. I know I did. I lost more than 100 pounds twice and 75 pounds once and numerous attempts knocked off 30 or so each time. All those pounds lost add up to well more than what I weighed when I got the surgery. Yeah, like Restless Monkey said, there are about 5 in 100 who really do lose weight and keep it off without something like WLS. Was I going to be one of those? No, and I proved it more than once. That makes me sad but at least there was this wonderful HELP that the lap band gives me. At last, I can lose weight, which I was reasonably good at AND keep it off, which I was abysmally bad at doing.

It's a big step when you're working toward it....and when it's in the rearview mirror, you realize it was a giant step that started a wonderful journey.

I think trying the diet first is a great idea, that way after the surgery (if you do have the surgery) you are already in the habit.

I cut out a lot of the stuff that we aren't supposed to have months before my surgery and those things are they only parts of my diet that I do not struggle with.

So I say go for it. Sounds like you are definitely ready for the change.

If your main concern of dying is the surgery itself then I think you should speak to your surgeon at length. The odds of dying very very low. Well under 1% I believe. As with anything there is risk. The risk of dying prematurely from heart disease or Diabetes I believe are well over 50 %. I am playing the odds and having the surgery. The fact that it is only about 40 minutes makes the risks of complications lower than with a longer procedure. Your biggest risk is anethsesia and once again it is a very small risk.

Greg

I would just like to thank everyone that responded to my post. You all seem so kind and supportive. This is a big decision for me (as I'm sure it is for everyone), and I just want to make the best one possible. Right now, I'm leaning toward postponing the surgery for a few months to see how I do just following the diet on my own.

I'm going to be optomistic and hope that if I get my emotional issues under control, then maybe I can loose weight and keep it off on my own...if not, then I am grateful that the band is there to help me reach my ultimate goal.

Thank you again for your supportive words, and wish you all the best of luck on your new journeys.

Kirsten