Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

had 2nd fill today didn't follow diet

Help, I don't know what got into me or what I was thinking. I had my 2nd fill today and instead of following a clear liquid diet when I got home I ate an Arnold sandwich thin with melted cheese on it!:tt1: Now I am scared. I feel fine, but I am full. What do you think will happen? I don't even know why I did it.

Eating and not knowing why is probably what got a lot of us in trouble. Unlike the rule to stick to liquids after our band surgery so that we don't tear our stitches, I think the rule that many doctors follow about sticking to liquids after a fill is for fear that we might have swelling, and the doctors want to make sure we don't get stuck and cause additional swelling and then an emergency unfill. Since you didn't have any pain, I really think you didn't do any damage. That's just my unscientific opinion.

Edited by kiz

Help, I don't know what got into me or what I was thinking. I had my 2nd fill today and instead of following a clear liquid diet when I got home I ate an Arnold sandwich thin with melted cheese on it!:) Now I am scared. I feel fine, but I am full. What do you think will happen? I don't even know why I did it.

Oh my Cindy, I don't even know you, but I read your post and felt so bad for you, I even got a lump in my throat. . . I'm so sorry this happened to you. . . I don't know why we do the things we do. . . :lol:

Thank you, I feel a little better. I just realized how much food controls me I do things without thinking. Hopfully I will learn to think before putting anything into my mouth.

I am a strong STRONG proponent for following the pre and post op diets scrupulously. Having said that, the post fill diet? It's to allow your stomach to go back to normal if you're one of those who swells when filled, etc. And as you get closer to "tight", or the "green zone" or the "sweet spot", that swelling becomes more likely.

In order to prevent vomiting that can exacerbate the swelling (a vicious cycle) and/or cause a slip, most docs have patients do a mini-liquid/mushie/reg food diet.

In the early times before you're well restricted, if you aren't one who has a sensitive or reactive stomach, it's not so dire. And apparently, since you didn't feel any pain, you're one of those.

Just realize that as you get closer to your green zone it will be more important that you "baby" your stomach a little after a fill. I'd chalk this up to experience, count it a lesson learned, and don't "cheat" next time.

When I started getting fills I was told to go on liquids for 1-2 days then mushies for 1-2 days. I could always do the 1 day liquids and then 1 day mushies and be fine. As I got more and more fills the recommendation became 2-3 days liquid and then 2-3 days mushies. WELL- this last fill (I think my seventh) I had a smoothie on day one and there was a chunk of fruit that I swallowed- and it all came back up. So I had additional swelling from vomiting in addition to the swelling that naturally occured with the fill that day. For several days I had trouble with liquids and had to go in for an unfil (the 1/2 cc that they had just put in several days before). It was explained to me that as you get closer to the green zone the more sensitive you become to fills and you can't get away with the things you might have been able to after previous fills (1 day liquids, 1 day mushies). SO here I sit and I feel like I have taken a small step backwards because I am basically going two months on a 1/2 cc. So lesson learned and I hope others will read this and be more careful!!!!!

Good info guys! I get my first fill next week and want to do it right. OP - You must have been really scared. I got distracted once while eating and swallowed something that I didn't feel was chewed enough, but luckily it went on through. I was scared though right after I realized what I had done. I know now to concentrate on my chewing and block out everything else until it becomes habit. Good post.