Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

14th day of clear liquids post op...

..and I feel awful! I am so tired of broth, I can't seem to swallow any more of it. I've tried all types of Soups with clear broth, (draining out all the food) and I've about had it. This whole afternoon I have been crying off and on. I know I'm feeling sorry for myself....I don't regret the band... but only Clear Liquids is so HARD. :wink: My stomach is growling...my head hurts....and I'm always tired. I just feel like crawling into bed and not getting up until Tuesday when I see my Dr. for my first post-op appt. I still have tonight and 3 more days to get thru.. I don't know how I will do it. Please help me stick to my post op diet. I'm super frustrated. :w00t: I understand what's in store....what the goal is. Trying SOOOOO hard to keep my eyes on the prize...

If you don't mind me asking, why 14 days of Clear Liquids post-op? I had 4 days of clear liquids and then 2 weeks of full liquids.

Boy, different surgeons have different protocols don't they!!!

Hang in there, it does get better!

Thanks for your post Diana! A little encouragement goes a looong way. It's so true. I've read so many diffrent post-op diets on this website. Some 1 day clear liquids...some 14. I'm not sure why my Doctor says 2 weeks. Well, I was banded on Aug 31st. So clear liquids started on the 29th. 2 days before surgery. After the Surgery, in recovery, I was instructed to have ONLY clear liquids untill my next Dr. appt. So I asked the Dr. when that will be... he said 2 weeks. I have my appt on Tuesday.. 17 total days of clear liquids. Blurg..

WOW...that seems so long to go on just clear liquids..are you NOT doing any Protein drinks yet at all?

You body must be eating itself to death by now!

ANy fruit juice, frozen fruit bars,????

If all you are having is clear liquid what is caloric intake?

DId you call your dr and ask about this...did you not get a hand out from the nutritionist?

I have been on Liquids for a month, but not clear..that was only 5 days...3 pre-2post....but I do not get FULL liquid(pureed food) until week after next!

SO planning on pureed grilled salmon and sweet potato!

Hang in there...but call the DR or the nutritionist!

At this point you may have to psych yourself up and just go day by day and that way you can make it until your appointment:rolleyes2:. It is always good to follow your dr.'s advise, even if it is really hard! If you need some reassurance, you might call your dr. and tell them how you are doing and how hard it is for you right now. Don't know if that would change anything or not. I'll send you a mental "atta girl" every now and then.:wink: Let us know how it goes.

I see my surgeon on Tuesday also. He just wants to check up on me because he just put in my first fill of 2cc's on last Tuesday. Hope all is well with both of us!!

My diet was similar to yours. Just hang in there! Its only a few more days; you've made it so long! Good for you doing what your doc has told you to. Later when you aren't starving you can be really proud of yourself! WTG!

Have you tried Isopure Zero Carb Protein drinks? They are clear, and have 40g of Protein in 20oz bottle. It comes in lots of flavors, and saved me during my liquid stage. Also, the protein will help you feel less hungry.

Good luck.

I also am on clear liquids for 2 weeks post op and than full liquids for 2 more weeks.

I just passed my 1 week mark and needed to start adding more to it. Based on lap band's actually website post op they suggest 2 weeks liquid (full and clear together) and 2 weeks mushy and 2 weeks soft.

My doctor goes from the 4 weeks for liquid to soft foods there is no in between step.

Thankfully I have talked to a lot of people that used my surgeon that all said they only did one week of clear one week of full and then moved onto 2 weeks of mushy and then 2 weeks of soft. So that is what I am planning on doing because I feel just like you and am going crazy with no really food.

The total calories I am getting right now is about 500 to 600 a day. No real Protein or carbs. I have been losing weight but have started to get hungry again in the evening, so that is when I usually do my cream Soup.

Hang in there, what is your next phase?

..and I feel awful! I am so tired of broth, I can't seem to swallow any more of it. I've tried all types of Soups with clear broth, (draining out all the food) and I've about had it. This whole afternoon I have been crying off and on. I know I'm feeling sorry for myself....I don't regret the band... but only clear liquids is so HARD. :wink: My stomach is growling...my head hurts....and I'm always tired. I just feel like crawling into bed and not getting up until Tuesday when I see my Dr. for my first post-op appt. I still have tonight and 3 more days to get thru.. I don't know how I will do it. Please help me stick to my post op diet. I'm super frustrated. :w00t: I understand what's in store....what the goal is. Trying SOOOOO hard to keep my eyes on the prize...

I dont understand why each doctor is so different, I have my surgery on Tuesday and then I go straight on to mushies the day after.

Also I have been on a low carb diet for the last 2 weeks without the liquid only diet.

Can you phone the doctor, and explain how bad you are and whether you can move on to the next stage?

Hang in there, you have done so well.

Each surgeon has different skills, a different education, different experience, a different client base. Furthermore within that practice one client may need a different post op diet than another. For example a person severely overweight and with Diabetes may heal more slowly than a person who needs to lose 80 pounds and has no co-morbidities.

To go against your surgeon's advice because a web site lists a different regimen, or because someone from his office didn't do it and was fine, is not the rational thing to do.

Believe me because I did exactly what I'm advising against. I did my own preop diet after reading on here about patient after patient who had a shorter/easier/none diet and so I did my own thing and lost 15 pounds but didn't get the band the 1st time.

You MAY be ok if you do your own thing. Then again, maybe not. I always say if you don't trust your surgeon to guide you properly throught the preop phase and the post op healing phase, then don't let him cut you either. Think of the post op diet as a prescription for healing and do as you're told. IF you find it onerous or faulty, discuss it with your surgeon. That's the adult thing to do. I learned the hard way. Hopefully you can learn from my mistake.

Where do you get those Isopure Zero Carb drinks?

I get them at GNC, but they carry them in other stores that specialize in Protein & health foods.

Just remember don't add Protein in until your doc okays it! :wink:

Hello all! I'm on day 15 clear liquids.. still going strong. Thanks for all ur postings! I'm not sure of my caloric intake... I'm straining ckn Soup or Wonton soup for the broth. Is there a way to get an idea of my caloric intake? maybe divide can of calories by 2 or 3? I see my doctor on Tuesday.... I think I can make it till then... :blink: lol I'm looking into the Isopure, well hey, lol I can call my doc abt that on Monday. :eek: Jac the salmon sounds yummy! I do plan on sticking to my diet....clear liquids till given the green light for the next stage..which I think will be mushy... applesauce, scrambled eggs, mashed things. :frown: the hand out from the nutritionist said clear liquids for 1 week post op...but each doc is sooo different! :wink: Mine said clear liquids till I see you....2 weeks. lol Thanks again everyone! And Diana, Fingers crossed here for out Tuesday appts! :w00t:

Some of these doctors go overboard!!!!! I did ZERO days of clear liquids. I had full liquids then started mushies on day 8. I never got sick, belched, or had any issues. Make yourself a shake and enjoy it. You should NOT have had to go through that....