Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dizziness???

I have been banded for 6 months now and feel I’m doing just fine as far a weight loss (52lbs), but now the weirdest thing is happening. I have been experiencing the worst dizzy spells :laugh: lately. If I get up to fast or if I bend down I get really dizzy. I almost blacked out :cursing: the other day. I have heard that this can be a common occurrence for people who have under going weight loss surgery, but have any of you experienced this and how did you combat it?

How is your blood pressure? Sometimes low blood pressure can cause this, Other than that don't know but my blood prssure has always been low and if I get up to fast the room spins. Check with your doc and let us know what you find out, good luck on your journey!

I am going through the dizziness myself. I lost 70 pounds since being banded 12/20/08 and am told it is not because of the weight loss but something to do with the inner ear. I am on motion sickness pills until this goes aways, which the Dr. said it would eventually leave as fast as it came.

I have had the same problem. I banded 2/25/08 and now on occasion I get dizzy. Most of the time I notice it if I get up really fast from sitting. The other day I was standing and I had my head resting on the arm of the couch which meant my head was lowered. The phone rang or something and I lifted my head quickly...and whoosh...helloooo Mr. Dizziness. I get this warm-and prickly-all-over sensation, I feel like I am walking under wwater, and sometimes (but very rarely) I may feel kinda nauseated. Then I sit down for a minute or two, and it passes.

The thing is I don't recall having this before being banded. I mean it is not something so horrible that I wish i was never banded. But it is just aggrivating.

I told my general physisican about it and she told me that I may have positional (orthostatic) hypotension. This means that my blood pressure changes with my body posture. I do routine blood work all the time and it was all normal except for my low Iron and low B12, so I take tablets to correct those. I was worried that I may be hypoglycemic (which made me giggle at the thought for once in my life I could not be eating enough :tongue2:). My doctor also told me to drink more Water as this will sometimes help.

I have lost close to 80lbs in a year. Overweight people are known to have high blood pressure. I luckily have never had high blood pressure. However, I sometimes wonder if my weight was keeping my blood pressure steady and high enough that I my blood pressure never fluctuated. I wonder if now that I have lost weight, my blood pressure has gotten lower (last check at my last fill appt it was 129/73) or flutuates as my body is trying to adjust to the ongoing weight loss.

My advice, talk to your doctor. Especially if it is a cause for concern for you. When I first started getting dizzy, I looked at a lot of old posts on this site. A few..not a ton..but a number of people state that they have been getting dizzy sometimes since being banded as well. Again, I highly suggest you talk to your lapband doc and/or your regular doc for assurance and guidance.

I have dizzy spells having to do with my sinuses. I've had them for years. If they get really bad, I have to take meclazine, which is available over the counter now. It happens every few months. I have low blood pressure and always have. I am also hypoglycemic, which means when I eat too much sugar or carbs at once or don't get enough Protein to balance it, my pancreas produces too much insulin and drops my blood sugar and I crash. That is a horrible feeling and involves fainting and being really sick feeling. Doesn't seem to be affected by my weight as I have had it since I was a teenager and not overweight.

There is also the possibility that as you lose weight, your body breaks down the fat, and the fat has hormones and various whatever was in your body at the time it was stored. That can mess you up a bit. I have a friend who uses this as her reason for not losing weight.

I have been banded for 6 months now and feel I’m doing just fine as far a weight loss (52lbs), but now the weirdest thing is happening. I have been experiencing the worst dizzy spells :) lately. If I get up to fast or if I bend down I get really dizzy. I almost blacked out :thumbdown: the other day. I have heard that this can be a common occurrence for people who have under going weight loss surgery, but have any of you experienced this and how did you combat it?

You may want to check your Iron. . you could be anemic. . . like someone else mentioned too, your b/p. . .get up slowly and bend with your knees. Now that you know that you get dizzy with getting up or bending, be conscience of those movements. . . good luck

I have the same thing happen often. I believe it is due to my low blood pressure. It always was very low in my 20's and more "normal" when I was heavy. Now it is very low again and I get dizzy and black out some if I stand up too quickly. My BP was 90/44 at the Dr's the other day, but they were not concerned! I guess we just have to remember not to get up too quickly!