Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression post surgery

Hello! I'm still in the pre surgery phase (seminar coming up) and I just need to know if after surgery if any one went into depression? I understand that when something is taken away from you (food) a person could go into depression. Can we talk about this please and how it was coped with. What does the psychotherapy before surgery do? Thanks in advance to all who are willing to discuss this sensitive issue with me.

From what I understand the psychotherapy session is to see if you will be able to follow the guidelines for the band. I did not have to go to one because I was self pay but I read that on here. I have clinical depression and have taken meds about 5 years for it. I did not notice it get worse after surgery. If anything I was filled with hope concerning my weight. I am 8 weeks post op today, and my depression has not changed because of the surgery for better of worse. I might have mourned my lost of diet coke but that is about all. I am doing good and have not had any problems with the band at all. One I got a piece of banana stuck for a minute but coughted a few times and up it come no problem.

Now I do think that as an emotional eater that you will miss your friend . . . if your friend, is food like mine was. That does take some willpower. I am an emotional eater and just like any lifestyle change you have to make changes in how you act when you want to eat for emotional reasons. But it has been eaiser than I thought it would be. I hope that help some.

Just remember if food is your "friend" she's a back-stabbing bitch. Seriously. But 123crod is right; if you rely on it for everything you'll have to find new, better ways of coping.

I wasn't depressed post op; just the opposite actually. Because I wanted the surgery, I chose it, (All under my control) I felt the reverse, cheerful, optimistic, and hopeful about getting my weight FINALLY under control after a life-long battle. But I think it depends on how you look at food. I usually felt it was a harsh master who had me on a short leash, not my comfort and refuge. Had I felt that way it would be hard to give it up.

HOWEVER...please realize that while you won't be able to, say, sit and eat an entire pizza, most of us can still eat pizza IF WE WANT TO. To me, that's the key. The band has given ME the control. Seems odd, but before I felt frustrated and almost helpless; now I feel like I can win.

If you are worried, find yourself a good therapist who specializes in eating disorders. The psych eval is just that; an eval. It won't help you. If you are prone to turn to alcohol or sex (no kidding, both happen) post op then hopefully the psych eval will catch that. But for the "head hunger" as they call it, or mourning the loss of the old fatter you, or whatever; you'll need to find yourself a good therapist if you feel you can't get through it all alone.

I go to a behavioral therapist, myself.

I agree with everything Restless Monkey said. I went to counseling for 2½ years for my depression and have learned some coping skills that I try to use.

But when my husband and I discussed the surgery we talked about the possibliity that I might have to return to counseling if need be to cope with any new emotional things that might bother me since my “friend” would be around less and less

Who has time to be depressed when you have all of that wordrobe rebuilding to do and healthy new things to look forward too. pst.... the food isnt gone it's just reduced and in the long run you'll be happier. depressed pish posh!

I felt my first bout of depression yesterday as a matter of fact. I am out of town at my Mother's as my stepfather had surgery and I came to help. He is home and recovering very well and getting around etc. On Saturday, my nephew came over and spent the night. My mother and I took him to a local fair here and we bought a funnel cake. I ate a little bit of it. Then, later that night, we were playing cards and my Mother popped popcorn. It was the all natural kind but it was really late and I ate some of it. Not to mention eating regular meals throughout the day. I gained two pounds just like that. I don't know what came over me and I got depressed about it. I had been doing so well and hadn't cheated even once since I had my band and I was so proud of myself. I knew at some point I would probably cheat, but I wasn't expecting how it would make me feel. So guilty. I have now lost the two pounds back but I felt like that is two pounds extra I could have lost instead of two pounds I had to get back. I am out of my funk but I was suprised at how that small incident made me feel.

I've had a couple of operations, not including my upcoming WLS next week, and always find myself a bit out of sorts for at least a week after surgery. Here's what I attribute the depression to:

a. You've just had surgery--your body has been through a huge workout, so to speak. You've had medications, been put under, have had pain meds, blood thinners, etc.

b. The whole ordeal is stressful: hospitals, machines, monitors, etc.

c. You are in pain or discomfort.

d. Your daily routine is out of whack.

e. You may need help with things.

f. You don't feel like yourself.

...and a lot of other immediate changes.

If you think about it, it all makes sense that you would be a little depressed, or at least a little emotional. I know I'm always a little down in the dumps after a procedure..and it's probably normal.