Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Lady now requires 26 servants

If Mr. Jones stole Mrs. Smith's money from her pocketbook and handed it out to all the poor people in the city, would God look favorably on Mrs. Smith. Yes. But only because she was a victim of a crime perpetrated by Mr. Jones. Not because she gave to the poor, because she didn't give to the poor. Mr. Jones gave stolen money to the poor. He gets no credit for doing good to the poor. His sin of robbery has wiped out any good he thought he was doing. As far as Mrs. Smiths favor from God goes, she will get his favor when she gives cheerfully, for the bible says that God loves a cheerful giver.

Congratulations on being a soon-to-be grandma.

When the government takes your money without your consent in order to give it to whom they feel it should go to to help them, they are robbing you. Noone has the right to steal from someone else. I am not saying that we shouldn't help the poor. I am saying that the government shouldn't take it upon themselves to ensure that we do it. This is the problem with BIG government. They are taking our money and distributing it to whatever cause they feel is right in their eyes. They are enabling those who don't or wont work to have a free ride on the rest of us. This is okay with you?

Thank you.

Paying taxes is the price we pay for living in a civilized society. We have taxes with representation. We can tell our reps what we want our taxes used for. I'm not happy with the amount used for wars. Or bloated military budgets.

And I am okay with helping the least among us. Welfare reform limits people to 3 years. Most of those who receive government aid are white, rural and poor. Many are in that position not through their own fault but because of circumstances. A farmer with a failed crop, someone who loses their job. People without health insurance who lose their homes due to bankruptcy from medical bills. There are many reasons people get to a position where they need help.

They are not all lazy, blood sucking leeches, as has been portrayed. It is too easy to portray them that way.

Now, if we want people to go from government aid programs to productive workers, then we need to support those pathways to get there - Job training, daycare subsidies, good public transportation to get to jobs, low cost housing subsidies, etc..

So, yes, I am okay with my tax dollars helping people in need, largely because the biggest benefactors are children who are hurting through no fault of their own. Don't punish the children because in some cases their parents made bad choices in life.

And I also support charities. I have sponsored 4 children from Save the Children, I give to food banks, and children's hospital for free care.

Tell you what patty, you interpret the Bible your way and I'll use my own education and sensibilities to interpret it my way.

Personally, I think the bible has been interpreted, relied on, pointed to, used as an excuse for, and counted on for far too much. I know right from wrong, I learned it when I was about 4 – I think I’ll stick with that.

If Mr. Jones stole Mrs. Smith's money from her pocketbook and handed it out to all the poor people in the city, would God look favorably on Mrs. Smith. Yes. But only because she was a victim of a crime perpetrated by Mr. Jones. Not because she gave to the poor, because she didn't give to the poor. Mr. Jones gave stolen money to the poor. He gets no credit for doing good to the poor. His sin of robbery has wiped out any good he thought he was doing. As far as Mrs. Smiths favor from God goes, she will get his favor when she gives cheerfully, for the bible says that God loves a cheerful giver.

Ok, I’m gonna digress a little here just because a part of your analogy confuses me. Why does being a victim of the crime make Mrs. Smith look favorable in God’s eyes? I can see that he might have pity for her loss, but why would he look favorably on her for having been a victim? What if I was an all around bad guy (a sinner if you will) and a crime was perpetrated against me, would that increase my position with God?

Sometimes I just don’t follow your logic.

I studied Islam a bit as well and there are lots of examples in it where you get more or less reward for the type of praying you do, the frequency, the number of recitations, etc. I don’t get that either.

Thank you.

Paying taxes is the price we pay for living in a civilized society. We have taxes with representation. We can tell our reps what we want our taxes used for. I'm not happy with the amount used for wars. Or bloated military budgets.

And I am okay with helping the least among us. Welfare reform limits people to 3 years. Most of those who receive government aid are white, rural and poor. Many are in that position not through their own fault but because of circumstances. A farmer with a failed crop, someone who loses their job. People without health insurance who lose their homes due to bankruptcy from medical bills. There are many reasons people get to a position where they need help.

They are not all lazy, blood sucking leeches, as has been portrayed. It is too easy to portray them that way.

Now, if we want people to go from government aid programs to productive workers, then we need to support those pathways to get there - Job training, daycare subsidies, good public transportation to get to jobs, low cost housing subsidies, etc..

So, yes, I am okay with my tax dollars helping people in need, largely because the biggest benefactors are children who are hurting through no fault of their own. Don't punish the children because in some cases their parents made bad choices in life.

And I also support charities. I have sponsored 4 children from Save the Children, I give to food banks, and children's hospital for free care.

Well said:thumbup:

Ok, I’m gonna digress a little here just because a part of your analogy confuses me. Why does being a victim of the crime make Mrs. Smith look favorable in God’s eyes? I can see that he might have pity for her loss, but why would he look favorably on her for having been a victim? What if I was an all around bad guy (a sinner if you will) and a crime was perpetrated against me, would that increase my position with God?

when I said God looked favorably on her, I meant only that she didn't do anything to merit him being upset with her. We should always favor the victim over the crime doer. that's all.

Sometimes I just don’t follow your logic.

I studied Islam a bit as well and there are lots of examples in it where you get more or less reward for the type of praying you do, the frequency, the number of recitations, etc. I don’t get that either.

In the christian faith,I believe your treasure is being stored in Heaven for only the deeds that you have done in the flesh that were selfless acts that were done with a pure motive.

Thank you.

Some taxes should be expected. You can not run a government without tax, I understand that. But where do we draw the line at when it gets to be too much? How about when we have to start borrowing it from other nations at sky high interest rates. When your need outweighs your means to compensate, there is most definitely a huge problem going on with the over spending. Don't ya think? I am all for the government taking care of infrastructure, highways, military defense, national protection, etc., but this is too much! It needs to be halted!

Congratulations Cleo's Mom!!!!! That news is absolutely fabulous! I hope that everything goes well throughout the next 9 months and your grandbaby is a healthy, beautiful little being. I am very happy for you!

patty: "I am all for the government taking care of infrastructure, highways, military defense, national protection, etc., but this is too much! It needs to be halted!"

What needs to be halted? These nutty generalizations are what need to be halted. It's too easy to cry foul play when it comes to taxes. Petition your elected officials. Let them know how you feel and I am sure that you'll have nothing more to worry about.

kartman I agree with you about how the stories and scriptures in the Bible are used, ad absurdum, as proof of the merits of the political cause du jour.

Congratulations Cleo's Mom!!!!! That news is absolutely fabulous! I hope that everything goes well throughout the next 9 months and your grandbaby is a healthy, beautiful little being. I am very happy for you!

Thank you. Since my husband died 4 years ago and both kids got married I have been very lonely but now this gives me new purpose and something to help plan for and look forward to. I am very excited. Thanks again.

What needs to be halted?

The unsustainable spending of the government with all their social programs and all those "this is absolutely needed" projects!

I'm very sorry about you losing your husband, Cleo's. There are so many things I'd like to say about that and discuss with you, but I suppose this isn't the time or place. But I do know that grandchildren fill your life with joy and lots of fun activities. I have a very special bond with my granddaughter that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. And my twin grandsons are so much like their dad (my son) it is almost like going back in time to when he was a child. Great memories!

I'm very sorry about you losing your husband, Cleo's. There are so many things I'd like to say about that and discuss with you, but I suppose this isn't the time or place. But I do know that grandchildren fill your life with joy and lots of fun activities. I have a very special bond with my granddaughter that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. And my twin grandsons are so much like their dad (my son) it is almost like going back in time to when he was a child. Great memories!

Thanks, BJean, for your kind words. That is great that you have such a good relationship with your grandchildren. And twin grandsons. What a surprise that must have been. As a mom, I'm sure you know, you always worry about your kids, so I am hoping that the pregnancy and baby both do fine.

Thanks again.

Yes, the twins are identical which I learned is pretty uncommon. Our DIL had to have surgery to correct a problem called TTTS Syndrome. Very scary, but all turned out well. My DD has a little girl, but after that lost a boy at full-term, and lost another baby early in the process after that. They vow not to ever try again. So, having a healthy baby and healthy mother are what is important. It makes thinking about whether it's a boy or girl, totally unimportant. I'm sure yours will be fine and I hope you enjoy the pregnancy and all the fun experiences that brings.

One thing that really annoys me is the need to correct Obama's misreading of U.S. History. He should know better after all, since he is the President of this country. America was a Christian country in its early days and the modern day secularists are intolerant of God in public places, yet say it is the Christians in this country who are the intolerant ones. Just because many Christians believe that their views are the only correct one, does't mean they are intollerant. Tollerance is allowing dissenters the freedom to worship the way they want. Because the US has no established church, people of differing philosophies must learn to live together. We are more successful in that than many muslim countries. When Obama said that America wasn't a Christian Nation, he threw the first stone. That Christmas, and not Yom Kippur or Ramadan, is a national holiday in America indicates our Christian Heritage. That does not mean that non Christians and unbelievers do not have a right to live here freely. The Christian dissenter should not have the right to censor the believer. Although they try at every option to do just that.