Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Lady now requires 26 servants

That statement is wrong on so many levels.

First, bush never said invading Iraq was for their oil (but not many believed this).

Second - if that is true, then why did our gas go up to $4/gallon last year?

Third, we were told that Iraqi oil revenues would pay for the Iraqi war. I'm still laughing over that one. :blushing:

Fourth, if our economy depends on Iraqi's oil, or it's "toast" - then all the more reason to support Obama's clean, green renewable energy plans, increased fuel efficiency for cars and less dependence on foreign oil.

Fifth - what other countries should we send our soldiers into so that 4000+ can die for their oil?

Thank You !!!

And why is my gas over $3 a gallon NOW. I agree... we should have been investing in alternate sources of energy vs a war that has messed up so many young soldiers and their families and our financial future..... STUPID DECISIONS THAT HAVE COST OUR NATION DEARLY. I expect to see many more vets of a much younger generation on our So Cal streets begging..... this is how we thank our military for their service.

So where are the WMD.... bunch of BS And do ya'll realize WE the USA are not the ones who found Sadaam hiding in the hole... it was set up to make us look like the heros. LOL

I really was joking. My brother was over and he was reading some of my posts and told me to type that about the oil and see what kind of response I get. I guess I shouldn't have posted it.

Thanks Michelle... sounds to me like she's CREATING jobs. And the salaries are modest, especially compared to DC's cost of living.

IMO, Liberals have never been able to understand that the conservatives position is based on principles and principles never change. That's why they are often seen as not being flexible. But, when you are dealing with moral principles, any compromise would be surrendering to evil. So, the 'right' are at a fixed position, while the 'left' has moved further left, since it is not guided by principle, but by 'world opinion' (whatever that is); the philosophy at the moment. The irresponsible liberals have gone soooo far left that that most of us conservatives appear to be far right. If we are 'right' are the liberals wrong? Yes, they are, for we both can't be right.

I have found that liberals don't believe in absolutes, especially a code of laws, that if enforced would infringe on their lifestyles. They tell us the bible is too old and restrictive. They say that the ten commandments are the 10 suggeations.

They love government handouts since it fits into their plan of government control instead of personal responsibility. Welfare is a mishmash of government programs to take from the haves and give to the have nots. This thievery is justified because we owe it to the poor. It is their 'right' so they say. But I don't owe the crooks, bums or cheaters anything. If a man has a 'right' to what I produce, then I am a slave. Welfare is nothing more than a plot to redistribute the national wealth, and just because it is lawful, doesn't make it just. Liberals don't understand that the more dependent man becomes, the less dependable they become. The liberal 'do gooder' is the worst enemy of the poor. They gravitate to federal giveaway schemes like a fly does to crap. They embrace and hug the poor, kiss them and tell them they are his friend. Then regulates them to a lifetime of dependency, living off the hard work of others. The liberal politician never creates wealth to provide for the poor, He redistributes the golden egg, but he can not lay them. (They have managed to lay a few eggs, but they have been rotton.) Liberals have killed the goose that produced the golden eggs. (free enterprise) But they aren't very smart, are they?

Booker T. Washington said this: In bestowing charity, the main consideration should be to help those who will help themselves.

Jesus said" If any man will not work, he shall not eat." So, God expects us to work and not live off others. Ephesians 4:28 says " Let him that stole steal no more; but rather let him labor..." Oh! That nasty 5 letter word. Anytime a man receives money he didn't earn, there is somewhere a man who earned money he did not receive. That is thievery and thievery is thievery even when perpetrated by the government. I believe welfare should be handled by the churches and the families of the poor and disabled. Most of us would be willing to admit that the old, sick and disabled should get welfare, but there should be no welfare for the young, strong, or lazy.

We don't have a 'right' to a good life. We have a right to the 'persuit' of it. The government is not to guarantee our happiness, only the freedom to pursue it. Just because I am poor or disabled does not consign others to slavery to provide for me. Love may demand it, but laws shouldn't. 70 years ago, families and charity minded christians took care of that. Today, the gov. does that while christians and families feel no responsibility to do it.

Many slaves left the security of their the plantation and sought their own security. Some were old, sick and disabled. but they were free. They preferred to eke out a meager existance as a free man rather than live securly as slaves, and look where their sons are today. mayors, heads of corporations, the president of the U.S.A., living great lives. As always, a free people will produce more and climb higher than slaves. Thousands of years have proved that chains have a tendency to thwart progress. The more dependent people are, the less dependable they become. When you give the responsibility of yourself to the state, the authority over your life is transferred with it. You will soon see that gov. control of you will result in gov. force against you. For, whatever governmnet funds, it runs. We need to run the government and not let the government run us.

Edited by pattygreen

No society can exist unless the laws are respected to a certain degree. The safest way to make laws respected is to make them respectable. When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law. (Frederick Bastiat quote)

Thank you patty for listing the author of your quote. It is not right to use someone's words and pass them off as your own.

I agree with certain points that you make in your longer post above, but I find that the extreme way that you present them to be incorrect. I attribute that to your inability to fully understand the reasoning behind the left's political positions. (Although I will certainly admit that I do not speak for all left wingers.) I can say that for myself, you do not have it right. I am not motivated in any way by the government to do my work. I do not like paying taxes anymore than you do. I don't approve of giving government handouts to those who are unwilling to upgrade their way of life by using hard work.

But I will say that when someone is down, sometimes they need a helping hand. We would be bad people, a bad nation, if we allowed our extremely poor and unfortunate citizens to languish in poverty and die from extremely horrible conditions. Guess that makes me a bleeding heart liberal, eh? But you're quite incorrect when you suggest that having a program that helps someone in need always keeps them down. The government programs (especially those in the past) that enable folks to stay "on the dole" without any way to help them become a part of mainstream society are wrong. But helping people in serious need is not.

All that being said, I believe that our health care in America has suffered and is continuing to suffer at the hands of health care providers who gain monetarily by people being sick. The insurance companies are controlling our medical treatment, our medicine and our very lives. This is wrong on so many levels. Nothing about Christianity can justify what is happening to Americans and their medical care. We're talking about a corrupt system. Rotten to the core. And it must be changed. It is costing way too much in dollars and it is costing way too much in lives. We're idiots if we continue with the system we have. Absolute idiots.

Btw, I do not agree with the latest proposal that has been made public! It's a sham and will only prove to make the problems worse.

I understand BJean. You've heard the saying that the bible can be used to support or deny any position, so I submit this:

If you offer your food to the hungry and satisfy the needs of the afflicted, then your light shall rise in the darkness and your gloom be like the noonday.

Isaiah 58:10 NSRV

Happy are those who are concerned for the poor; the Lord will help them when they are in trouble.

Psalm 41:1 TEV

If you refuse to listen to the cry of the poor, your own cry will not be heard.

Proverbs 21:13 TEV

God always keeps His promises; he judges in favor of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry.

Psalm 146:6-7 TEV

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you? If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill," and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that? So faith by itself, if it has not works, is dead.

James 2:14-17 NRSV

Speak out for those who cannot speak, for the rights of all the destitute. Defend the rights of the poor and needy,

Proverbs 31:8-9 NSRV

Learn to do good; seek justice, rescue the oppressed, defend the orphan, plead for the widow.

Isaiah 1:17

He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord and he will repay him for his deed.

Proverbs 19:17

Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

1 John 4:9-11

"For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.'

Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? And the King will tell them, 'I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'"

Matthew 25:31-40 NLT

More…

When you gather your crops and fail to bring in some of the grain that you have cut, do not go back for it; for it is to be left for the foreigners, orphans and widows...When you have gathered your grapes once, do not go back over the vines a second time; the grapes that are left are for the foreigners, orphans and widows. Never forget that you were slaves in Egypt; that is why I have given you this command.

Deuteronomy 24:19-22 TEV

...do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor...

Zechariah 7:10 RSV

“He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord

require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk

humbly with your God?'”

Micah 6:8

Jesus said to him "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

Matthew 19:21 RSV

"But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just."

Luke 14:13 RSV

"Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me."

Luke 18:22 KJV

Begin using your hands for honest work, and then give generously to others in need.

Ephesians 4:28 NLT

"Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life."

1 Timothy 6:18-19

Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God our Father means that we must care for orphans and widows in their troubles, and refuse to let the world corrupt us.

James 1:27 NLT

{Quote} When you gather your crops and fail to bring in some of the grain that you have cut, do not go back for it; for it is to be left for the foreigners, orphans and widows...When you have gathered your grapes once, do not go back over the vines a second time; the grapes that are left are for the foreigners, orphans and widows. Never forget thatyou were slaves in Egypt; that is why I have given you this command.

I took just one of your quotes from the bible, but what I say here can be applied to them all: It is my responsibility before God to take what I have earned and give it to those that are in need. God does not advocate that someone else is to take what I have earned and give it to whom they see fit. That is thievery. Never! We are each, individually, accountable to God for what we have done to help the poor and disabled. This is where you have a misunderstanding of what God wants for us to do. He in no way has appointed someone else (the Government) to take on the peoples responsibility to help the poor and unfortunate. He expects that all work for their living. He also expects that all help the poor.

Show me a scripture that says," give your money to the government, and they will distribute it to all those who are poor, in need of a drink, disabled, hungry, destitute or in trouble? Then, and only then, will I honor it.

Cleo'sMom, when you said:

"You've heard the saying that the bible can be used to support or deny any position, so I submit this:"

you were absolutely correct, as evidenced by the fact that Patty has used those very scriptures to emphasize to us that God doesn't look favorably upon those who do good for others through government programs of any kind. He only looks favorably upon those who personally do something for someone else. So if you want to get into heaven, don't pay your taxes to help anyone - you must physically go find the poor unfortunates without food and clothing, and feed them from your own hands.

Tell you what patty, you interpret the Bible your way and I'll use my own education and sensibilities to interpret it my way.

Edited by BJean

And btw, Cleo'sMom, I appreciate you taking the time to post scriptures that support your beliefs. I had been wanting to do that, but just hadn't taken the time.

And btw, Cleo'sMom, I appreciate you taking the time to post scriptures that support your beliefs. I had been wanting to do that, but just hadn't taken the time.

You're welcome, BJean. Nothing can bring me down, though, because I just found out I'm going to be a grandma for the first time. My daughter is pregnant. I don't think my feet have touched the ground yet. So, I am in a very up mood. But I won't go so far as to say certain people won't try my patience. LOL.

Congratulations on being a soon-to-be grandma.

When the government takes your money without your consent in order to give it to whom they feel it should go to to help them, they are robbing you. Noone has the right to steal from someone else. I am not saying that we shouldn't help the poor. I am saying that the government shouldn't take it upon themselves to ensure that we do it. This is the problem with BIG government. They are taking our money and distributing it to whatever cause they feel is right in their eyes. They are enabling those who don't or wont work to have a free ride on the rest of us. This is okay with you?