Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets - Part 5!

I take Advil sometimes. I had 1 bad time with it, where I took it right before bed and didn't make sure it was washed down, I woke up choking all night on acid!

But, Advil is all that works for muscle pains (it reduces inflammation, tylenol doesn't). If you take it, take it on an empty stomach, drink a ton of Water to wash it through.. then I eat something just to make sure.

Yeah, in emergencies (like severe muscle pain!) I'll take children's liquid motrin but don't take it often. Long term NSAID usage is probably not a good idea at all, but once in a while it's OK. And like Laura said, make SURE it's flushed very well out of your pouch and probably about 30 minutes before lying down!

I need to see your trainer!!! That extra time on the treadmill would probably do wonders for keeping me in line. I hate the treadmill! Do you ever do the elliptical? More bang for the buck....minute for minute you burn 2x the calories.

HI everyone!!

Home from the surgery and feeling ok, sleepy from the pain meds, so I am off to take a nap!!

Thanks for all the well wishes!!

PS. The interviews went well.....

My friend here at work (the one who threw my baby shower), she's been closed up in her office (I am way in the back, I never know when something is going on). Russ had to go help her fix something on her computer, he came back and said she's crying and I may wanna go check on her.

So I go in there, and she said a hospital in california called, her dad had a brain hemorage, she's the only next of kin, and she needs to come out there and pull the plug. UGH!! She just reunited with him a year ago, he came down this April and spent a month with her.. I told her I think they know sometimes. My g'pa did the same thing, developed a relationship with me the month before he died. I feel so bad for her, and she said she doesn't know how they can afford to just fly to Cali, so I was helping her look at those emergency medical flights. It's $600 otherwise for 1 person. They said they do offer a discount, and I was telling my mom about all of this (whilst crying, I feel so sorry for her, I know she just got to know him and he had no other family). My parents are looking into paying for her flight for her.

She said they wouldn't give her details of what happened over the phone, so she has to wait to hear what happened when she gets there. Then she has to plan the funeral by herself. :sneaky:

Suzy... glad to hear the surgery was a success and you're on the road to recovery.....very quickly!!!

Fingers crossed for a job for you too!

Laura.. so sad about your co-worker. How old is she? It's a big burden to have put on you, but seems worse to me if she's young like you.

Jenn.. congrats on the great weight loss. Wish I could get that motivation again. I'm just hovering around the same numbers all the time. gain a little lose a little, same o, same o.

Ethan and I just got in from the pool. I got my exercises in and for added fun, Ethan thinks it's neat to grab hold of me as I'm running around the pool doing my laps. Certainly adds some more resistance to the routine!

Off to check emails and chillax for a little bit before Grady comes for a couple of hours tonight.

oh Laura that is just horrible about your friend/co-worker.

Judy I know what you are saying, I've been way too cozy where I was, that was part of the problem. I think since this last bout of stuff with Kev I figured I need to like myself and part of my problem is i don't like the way i look... so jumpstart and very positive attitude about doing it for me, because I'll never let anyone in if I am not happy with me...

so that is what it is all about for me, otherwise, I'd still be hovering

She is my age.. Delta is stupid, we called they said they do have special rates for these situations. So I got my friend and we called back, and the guy didn't speak english. Gave him the info, he put us on hold 10m, came back and said it will be $200 MORE EXPENSIVE than the normal rate. Uh, what? We said that makes no sense, and he said Sometimes the rates are cheaper or more expensive than normal tickets. That makes absolutely no sense. So we ended up just buying regular tickets at Orbitz.

Hey Girls.

Suzy, so glad that all went well with the surgery. Take the next few days and just lay around.

Laura, that is so sad about your friend. I'll keep all of them in my prayers.

I'm gonna take a quick nap. We have a wedding to go to tonight. And we have a wedding tomorrow. All that wedding cake and in one weekend.

Hey Girls~

WOW, what a week it has been. I felt it coming from ALL angles. Never could/did find my comfort zone. Ups and downs, highs and lows.

The first week of school will be over in 45 min!! Kids are working on a test now, so I have time to post (first time I've wanted to post in days).

Kids are GREAT! My morning class is full at 36 and my afternoon class has 12...but these are 12 NON English speaking chillren. I have 2 girls who are from Iraq; that moved to Turkey 4 years ago, and have been in the USA for a year. I've had their cousins before. BUT THEY ARE ILLITERATE!!! They speak 3 languages (Arabic, Turkish, some English) but can not really read or write in any of the languages. I have a newbie from Mexico (cutest kid) others that have been here under a year, and 6 that have been here about 2years. I tell ya, I work more in the afternoon than in the morning, and I have a 1/3 of the kids.

I have busy setting up my Walden class, which starts on Tuesday, but had to get everything ready for today, the first day students are logging in. I will be teaching The Foundations of Literacy for 8 weeks, and Cultural Diversity for 8 weeks. I am excited not to be working with the newbies (this is the second semester courses) but now I am the newbie and need to know my stuff (which I don't yet ssshhhh).

I have been lurking all week, just not in the mood to post. I'll try and do personals, but forgive me if I forget ya:

Laura: I would like to learn more about the sleeve. Are you looking here or is there another site for this?

I have not been a great success w/ the band, but I am healthier than ever before. For me to quit smoking WITH the band hurt my weight loss efforts...but that is ok...I feel GREAT w/ the cardio I am now able to do. I did 30 min this week on the eliptical!!!!!:sneaky::wink2::sad::thumbup: I only worked out twice all week (but will tomorrow) but am VERY proud of myself. I had 1/2 a piece of pizza last night and talk about PB CITY! I was too hungry and ate too fast. Good thing I couldn't eat any, Susanne was on the potty in the middle of the night from the pizza. My band is working...I just need to WORK W/ IT!

Terry, glad you have a day off. Is the move over completely? Everything unpacked?

Jenn, OMG...you are rocking it sista. So proud of you!

Susie, thanks for being a constant...I love you and Kat for that!

JudyJudyJudy, glad you FINALLY are enjoying summer and are getting in some fimming!

Haydee, good for you for your working out. I agree...work through the aches. Now, I can NOT not workout...I need the energy. But I am tired at 4.30, so it is a constant battle for me...KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON!

I have missed you all more than you will know. The events of this week have been upsetting and I am glad to be on the other side of it. I am cautious though...realities have changed.

HAVE A KICK ASS WEEKEND GIRLS!

XOXOXOXO

Maybe Pam, Jane, and I can go get sleeve all at once and keep each other company in the hospital :sneaky:

I will keep saying it (I joined the VSG talk forum.. www.verticalsleevetalk.com ) I do NOT knock the band. I think the band is great, and I'd never try to encourage someone to take another surgery over it. It worked great for me, my problem is maintenance. But none of you have the problems I am, so I'm just a bad statistic. I am definitely gaining QUICKLY the weight I lost, which is probably part of my funk right now.

That forum has a LOT of good info Pam, and I am going off of word of mouth, a lot of the LBT'ers (moderators that I hold stock in what they say) that have swapped from band to sleeve, used Dr. Aceves. And now knowing Kat used him for her band and has good things to say, I feel even better. He has done over 600 sleeves (many revisions from band), and 0% leak stats. He does thorough testing for leaks, it ends up leaks is the big 'complication' for sleeves. Talking to his nurse, she said it either happens during surgery; that's why they test you 3 days in a row, and if there is a leak they immediately take you back into the OR and fix it (for free). She said they've never had a leak with the sleeve, but they have (don't quote me on this, but you can find it on his Obesity Help profile) 10 years experience with RnY I believe, and has corrected leaks on that-- which is the same correction.

So then after surgery, she said if you don't follow the post-op you can cause a leak, but after 3 months your stomach will be healed (sealed up), and you have no risks of leaks for the rest of your time. So if you make it the first 3 months, you're virtually complication free. However I read complications threads on the vsg forum, and there have been 2 serious ones I saw, a woman who was bmi 73 and they had a problem with her liver (didn't follow pre-op), but she's well on her way to recovery and they fixed everything (it wasn't with Dr. A, just a vsg complication in general). The other was a leak I think and they didn't detect it, so she ended up collapsing a lung or something.. but also on her way to recovery now.

I am glamorized by the idea of no follow ups, and no complications past the first 3 months. And talking to the ladies who have converted, they seem so much happier. Some of them said they have lost way more weight in just a short time compared to the band (although this isn't really my problem, my problem is the band keeps breaking.)

Hello, home from work. I am having cell phone troubles. My best friend tried to call me and the phone didn't ring, it turns out her husband could be seriously sick, or hopefully just a kidney stone.

Laura, maybe a group rate is the way to go. I will convelesce (sp) with you. I don't whine too much.

I work tomorrow, when we have a monday holiday that is my normal day off, so no bank or anything!!

Jenn I am trying to motivate myself, but some extra wouldn't hurt!! Thanks!!!

Good evening, Violets..

We're watching the Tigers and hoping they win again. It's tied in the 8th.

Grady was pretty good tonight.. just one crying jag. Kris is having the same problem with Grady that you are with Carson, Laura. She didn't get any sleep last night at all. Grady was up till midnight.. slept til 1:30 and then was fussy until 5:30 in the morning. Nathan came home early today so she could get a nap. She slept from noon til 4:30. He now has 1 tooth broken through with the second one almost there. That has to be most of the problem, I'm hoping!!

We're going garage sale-ing in the morning and then to the Art Fair in the afternoon and dinner out after that. Should be a fun day.

Everyone sleep well.

Well this evening I finally have definite signs of teething. I wasn't sure what his deal is, but today he's been doing funky tongue and puffing his lips out all day and then crying (but not wanting the bottle or sleep). Russ and I fished around in there, we both think we felt a bump on his lower left and upper right.

Hylander's tablets don't seem to be doing anything, orajel is so temporary (just from what I know using it), and it causes him to freak out initially, then tongue it and drool like nuts.. ped said to use tylenol, so we do at night but I don't notice any help. We shall just ride this out! I can't wait to see him with teefs!