Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

tell me how this surgery has impacted your life

i am scheduled to have the surgery later this month and i'm scared to death

:frown:

Don't be scared I am a big baby and I did it so I know you can too. The surgery it not bad and the recover is pretty short. I am only 7 weeks post op, but I am feeling fine. I have only had one fill. I eat pretty much whatever I want keeping Protein in mid first. I really do not get hungry, but did for weeks 2 - 4 post op. I have lost about 22 lbs so far.

If its any consolation, so am I. I am due for my surgery sometime in Sept/oct and fluctuate between wanting it today, and not wanting it at all.

However, I realise that if I don't go through with it I will be miserable for the rest of my life.

Hello, So far, and I am only 7 weeks post op too it has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. 10 weeks ago I was taking 8 pills for various illnesses. Diabetes to HBP to sleep apnea, and high cholesterol. Today I am on ZERO medications.

As with any surgery your nerves will probably get the best of you all the way till they take you back to surgery room, I know mine did. I would do it again in a hearbeat and I look forward to being at a weight I have not been in almost 20 years.

You will do fine, and keep us informed.

She is right. It is the best thing I ever did too. I just wish I would have done it a few years earlier

The surgery is fast, only about 30 minutes. The recovery was a piece of cake.

I am so glad I had this surgery. I would not have lost this weight if I had not had surgery.

Don't worry, everything will go fine and in 4 months you will be saying how glad you are that you had it done.

I'm just 2 weeks post-op today, but so far I don't have any regrets. Sometimes I think that I miss eating "normal" foods, but then I remember that those types of food are what got me where I am to begin with. I'm down 20.9 lbs in two weeks and feeling great.

Hey Me! I am so scared of pain that I do anything to avoid it mostly scared of being put to sleep! However I have had my tubes tied in the past and this surgery/ recovery was much easier than that surgery. I also had a hernia repaired at the same time. I wasnt on pain meds but maybe 2-3 days, after that it was liquied tylenol when I needed it (I still have some in the bottle). I had surgery on 7-1-09 and so far, I think it was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. About a week before the surgery it hit me...OMG I'm getting this done and its gonna hurt and I'm gonna have something inside my body. I almost backed out, but at that moment I thought "no way, I'm doing it". I had to quit thinking about it....I studied more school work that week than I have since going back to college. The morning of surgery I started crying and my mother looked at me and said "if you want this, dry it up, if not get your ass back in the car. This was your decision, its your life but I cant let you go in there if I think you are making a mistake, so what do you want to do" I looked at her with dry eyes and said "let's do it". I have never regretted my decision. I sometimes wish that I could lose faster, or wish that I could eat something, but today I am 2 months out and I have lost 28 pounds and I'm not scared that I will put it back on...just ready to see more go. When my mom was telling me just how things needed to be done, my husband was willing just to talk me into getting back into the car. He has diabetes and now while I am trying to prevent health problems he sits around eating sweets and junk food and watching T.V. I think I made the right decision but you have to decide for yourself. I am pretty new at this also, but if there is anything that I can help you with please let me know. This people on this site is your best source of information....most are more than willing to be open and honest even during those times when you just want someone to agree with you so you will have a reason to screw up. It is also bc of those same people answering questions and giving me information that I knew what to expect...not something sugar coated by a doctor or nutritionist...but the real stories! Good luck on your journey.

I had surgery on June 18th of this year. So far, I have lost about 55 pounds. I feel better than ever and am looking forward to being thin and healthy. I would do it over again in a heartbeat.

I was banded a little over a year ago. I was 40 years old and it was my first surgery, so I was TERRIFIED! It has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. I realized after 2 months and 30 lbs that I no longer hurt every single morning when I woke up. I used to hurt so bad I almost cried just getting out of bed. I was also on Nexium daily for GERD. This is now non-existent. I only have the occasional bout of heartburn. I went from a tight 26/28 to a 14/16. I wore a 6T blue right fit jeans (from LB) and now I wear the 1T blue. I have not regretted this for one single moment!

Hello - Let me start with I'm a slow loser. The surgery is the EASY part. The hard part is getting the band to work for you....figuring out the right fill, lack of structure, you are kind of on your own, etc... That's just me. I have found this website and links to blogs have been the most helpful. If I hadn't had access to this site - I'd be MORE crazy. (Consider the source.) The band is truly a tool and I'm a little over six months out but am finding it to be more of my friend. Some have had an easy time...GOD bless you..mine has been a struggle..but I am getting there. Almost feeling like myself. Still glad I did it but again it's a tool. The surgery is the easy part. I wish you the best of luck and encourage you reach out to this site. It's probably made me semi-successful. I don't have much to offer but bc it's given so much to me, i.e.; questions to ask dr's ofc, what to eat, how much, etc...I've been able to work with it. I am a fairly private person but feel to post these thoughts bc I have received so much from the site I hope it helps you. Some of my fav sites are: Chronicles from the Band and Once Upon the Time..in the Land of cheese and Sunkist. I hope I am not offending anyone by posting the names of their blogs...but thought I would point them out on how they have helped me. I was banded on Feb. 16 and have lost - well I'm hovering around 55 lbs. Good Luck!

Once Upon the Time..in the Land of cheese and Sunkist. I hope I am not offending anyone by posting the names of their blogs...but thought I would point them out on how they have helped me. I was banded on Feb. 16 and have lost - well I'm hovering around 55 lbs. Good Luck!

Isn't Amy the most fabulous person?!!!!:thumbup: Yes, read her blog. She is funny and uplifting.

I had the surgery on 9/12/2007 and have been really happy

with the results. I lost 50 pounds in the first 4 months without having a fill. I guess I was just so excited to loose

this weight that I did not want to eat the junk food that helped me get to the lovely weight of 255 pounds prior

to this surgery. I did have my gallbladder out at 4 months, glad I did this also. I was lucky to find a bariatric surgeon that took :thumbup:me seriously. My health is so much better. My blood pressure normal. No more emergency room

visits since the surgery. I know it is scarry to go into surgery but the night prior to surgery my husband took before pictures of me. You will see them on my post. I was

talking about canceling the surgery but after he showed me the pictures I looked at how sad and depressed I looked and thought I had to do this for me. I have taken care of husband and kids for years and at the age of 46 I really had to start to take care of me. No one else could do it. So I say to you think this over and research the surgery and search out people that support you. You will end up being a winner at loosing in the end.

Isn't Amy the most fabulous person?!!!!:blink: Yes, read her blog. She is funny and uplifting.

Thank you Cindy and NCIS! That makes me feel good and now I will be skipping around all day :)

:blink:

Hey... I have to say I am scared too. I am awaiting approval from my insurance co. and I know I qualify so... should be getting surgery October/November? I hope anyway.

But yes. I am very scared. Not the surgery part! I am nervous about my mental state... :) the food, eating less, chew chew chewing, throwing up... so much stuff I've heard or read about. I'm terrified of this part. I know it is a lot of work... trust me I do! I am willing to do it; however I am feeling scared. :tt1: Thank God for this forum and the support groups the hospital provides. :cool2: