Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2009 Surgery Date?

Hey All,

Had my surgery yesterday! All went well. I didn't have a great deal of pain - liquid tylenol took care of my discomfort. I am on Clear Liquids for the first 2 days and then on full liquids for 2 weeks.

I don't feel hungry at all and I haven't eaten (any real food) for about 2 days now. I am concerned about getting enough Protein - so tomorrow plan to start the Carnation Instant Breakfast shakes two ounces every 2 hours.

I was on a limited diet for about 10 days prior to surgery and lost about 10 lbs -- I am thinking I will probably lose more during this first phase.

I just helped my son make a small homemade pizza for him and his cousin and it didn't drive me crazy to smell it....

Well done everyone, I am starting to get really nervous, not about the operation but incase I cant do it when I have been banded.... I feel like its the last hope I need to get back into the right frame of mind again.... help!!

Day 7 post op.......gas pain in my chest and shoulder is unbearable, but I'm able to walk a lot more now.

I'm day 8 post op.

No pain whatsoever. :thumbup:

I learned how to blow the air out of my chest (which only happens when I consume) when i feel preasure.

I am ready to return to work. :tt1:

I am afraid I am starting to get hungry though.

I only did a 48 hr fast prior to my surgery, and I am still on liquids until Sat. :tt2:

I want to get my $ worth since I am a self pay I hope I didn't throw it in the toilet...

I am going to Europe the 2nd wk of Nov. and won't get a fill until I return, I sure hope I can remain strong!

Today is day 11 of the liquid diet. One more day to go, and then Tuesday I switch to all clear liquids...in prep for Thursday's surgery. I'm really excited.

Good luck to all of you!

Hello all October bandsters

I got banded October 1st (9:30am) and posted one here on the 2nd, but haven't since then, so thought I should post an update.

Things have been going SO well. I had no pain for the first three days as I was on hydrocodone (Lortab), but once I started switch to Advil, there were a few times when I had a bit of pain. Most of the pain has been gas pain, shoulder pain, and a little bit of diaphragm pain from what I believe is the band itself. However, today I only took one normal advil - and that's it! So, the pain is definitely going down and is much more manageable.

I wanted to return to work last Monday, but ended up taking the Monday and Tuesday off as well. Most people I found could return to work after only three days (as long as it was a desk job like mine), but it I didn't feel well enough until my 6th day.

On day 7, one week after being banded, I had taken a Motrin that was not one of those sugar-coated ones. That was a stupid idea because it ended up getting stuck. I felt a LOT of pain, and then I felt like things were backing up in my throat. I had a feeling that I wanted to just throw up to get it out. However, I am a volatile vomited, so I mentally did NOT want to throw up. but, after about 10 minutes I couldn't take it anymore so I went to the toilet, allowed myself to relax. Next thing I knew this tiny amount of mushy food came up and out... and RELIEF! It wasn't bad at all - all I could feel was just satisfaction. It was painless, quick, not disgusting at all. It was nothing like throwing up pre-band. There was no stomach Fluid, so it was just like if I was swallowing food but backwards. Don't want to ramble here, but I was just SO relieved to know that if things get stuck (which of course I do not ever want to have happen again).. but, if they do, it's not the end of the world. One of my biggest fears is gone, which is such a great feeling.

Since then, I have finally moved to mushy foods. I have had mostly things like yogurt, cottage cheese, mashed potato, and today I had fish! It's felt SO good being able to eat "real" food again after 17 days of liquids! I'm able to eat about a cup of food before feeling like I'm full. It's SO much less food than I used to eat, but is just about as satisfying. I have lost an average of one pound per day since being banded. I know it's going to stop soon as my stomach heals, until my first fill (currently have 0cc's in my band).

The only things that's being bothering me is a feeling of pain in my left rib cage. It feels like it's my diaphragm or maybe lungs, or something. I'm not sure exactly what it is nor how long it will last. I have had the feeling there for about a week and it worsens 1 hour after I have eaten. I'm going to call the clinic tomorrow and ask if it's something I should be concerned about, but considering I was only banded 11 days ago, I highly doubt it's anything unusual.

I got a modified SILS procedure, so I have a larger cut in my belly button, plus 4 very small holes in my belly. All of the cuts are healing really well. I have steri-strips on them which are supposed to start falling off after two weeks, and stitches in my belly button. I'm really looking forward to being able to see how those have healed.

Overall, though there has been some pain, I am already SOOO happy to have been banded. I'm really looking forward to healing up completely and getting my first fill - and watching the weight melt off.

Good luck to all of you bandsters! Take care ~

Tim

Timmmers, thanks so much for posting on your progress. It's so encouraging to hear you're doing so well. I'm getting banded on Thursday.

Good luck with it all!

I am scheduled for surgery Oct 27th as well.....I am so excited! My pre-operative diet starts this Tuesday. I am really focused on getting a strong start. I look forward to seeing your success as well!!!:sad:

I need to vent, it's been a bad start. It started at 5am when my 4 year old jumped on our bed. "It's Morning time Mommy and Daddy!" I havent slept well the past 2 nights and my period just started.

I am so nervous about my Manometry today I want to throw up. Has anyone else had to do this prior to surgery??

ESOPHAGEAL MANOMETRY is a test that provides information regarding the muscle function of the upper and lower esophageal sphincters as well as peristalsis, or movement of food bolus. It provides information on the resting tone of the sphincters, how they relax, whether or not they relax appropriately and also about the peristaltic activity of the body.

But basically they stick a tube up your nose and down to your tummy. I know I will gag and throw up.

:sad:

Timmmers - wow - glad to hear you are doing well - did the hospital/doctor tell you to take Advil/Motrin? Those were on our list of medicines we would NEVER be able to take again (which I was surprised to hear).

Patricia - I didn't have to do that - I'm sure it will be okay -won't they give you something to relax you or knock you out? I hope it goes well!

So I'm really not digging this liquid diet....BUT, I am happy that it appears that I'm losing a pound a day since I started it, so at least there's that :sad:

HDmama - yeah, he prescribed advil as my post-op pain treatment after day 1. He said that as long as the advil makes it through my stoma without any problems (which it should) then advil will be the better pain releiver (versus Tylenol) as it also is an anti inflammatory. I was not allowed to have advil before the procedure.

Nooshie - Thank you! and Best wishes on Thursday! I was really nervous the day of (everyone at the clinic kept on asking how I was and I would look at them with no expression as my mind was racing with fear. They would all say "you should be happy! you're getting banded today" and I would think "yeah but OMG it's surgery".) but I am SO happy that I got banded and it really wasn't as bad as I had feared - not even close!

Hello all October bandsters

I got banded October 1st (9:30am) and posted one here on the 2nd, but haven't since then, so thought I should post an update.

Things have been going SO well. I had no pain for the first three days as I was on hydrocodone (Lortab), but once I started switch to Advil, there were a few times when I had a bit of pain. Most of the pain has been gas pain, shoulder pain, and a little bit of diaphragm pain from what I believe is the band itself. However, today I only took one normal advil - and that's it! So, the pain is definitely going down and is much more manageable.

I wanted to return to work last Monday, but ended up taking the Monday and Tuesday off as well. Most people I found could return to work after only three days (as long as it was a desk job like mine), but it I didn't feel well enough until my 6th day.

On day 7, one week after being banded, I had taken a Motrin that was not one of those sugar-coated ones. That was a stupid idea because it ended up getting stuck. I felt a LOT of pain, and then I felt like things were backing up in my throat. I had a feeling that I wanted to just throw up to get it out. However, I am a volatile vomited, so I mentally did NOT want to throw up. but, after about 10 minutes I couldn't take it anymore so I went to the toilet, allowed myself to relax. Next thing I knew this tiny amount of mushy food came up and out... and RELIEF! It wasn't bad at all - all I could feel was just satisfaction. It was painless, quick, not disgusting at all. It was nothing like throwing up pre-band. There was no stomach Fluid, so it was just like if I was swallowing food but backwards. Don't want to ramble here, but I was just SO relieved to know that if things get stuck (which of course I do not ever want to have happen again).. but, if they do, it's not the end of the world. One of my biggest fears is gone, which is such a great feeling.

Since then, I have finally moved to mushy foods. I have had mostly things like yogurt, cottage cheese, mashed potato, and today I had fish! It's felt SO good being able to eat "real" food again after 17 days of liquids! I'm able to eat about a cup of food before feeling like I'm full. It's SO much less food than I used to eat, but is just about as satisfying. I have lost an average of one pound per day since being banded. I know it's going to stop soon as my stomach heals, until my first fill (currently have 0cc's in my band).

The only things that's being bothering me is a feeling of pain in my left rib cage. It feels like it's my diaphragm or maybe lungs, or something. I'm not sure exactly what it is nor how long it will last. I have had the feeling there for about a week and it worsens 1 hour after I have eaten. I'm going to call the clinic tomorrow and ask if it's something I should be concerned about, but considering I was only banded 11 days ago, I highly doubt it's anything unusual.

I got a modified SILS procedure, so I have a larger cut in my belly button, plus 4 very small holes in my belly. All of the cuts are healing really well. I have steri-strips on them which are supposed to start falling off after two weeks, and stitches in my belly button. I'm really looking forward to being able to see how those have healed.

Overall, though there has been some pain, I am already SOOO happy to have been banded. I'm really looking forward to healing up completely and getting my first fill - and watching the weight melt off.

Good luck to all of you bandsters! Take care ~

Tim

Well Done Tim, thanks for all this info, I am being banded in Belgium on Thursday and I am starting to loose my nerve although I am excited at the same time! I want to go back to work after five days, but I will have to take an hours flight on day 7, so if I am not well I will have to take some more leave. Sounds like your doing great hope all us October Bandsters can compare notes as it will be great. Not sure after my band if I should just get fills or sign up for a complete package that provides nutrional and exercise advice? What does anyone think please?

Timmmers, thanks so much for posting on your progress. It's so encouraging to hear you're doing so well. I'm getting banded on Thursday.

Good luck with it all!

Good Luck Nooshie, will be thinking of you. I am being banded Friday in Belgium, not Thursday as I said above, just too excited!! I am flying to Belgium on Thursday x

Good Luck Nooshie, will be thinking of you. I am being banded Friday in Belgium, not Thursday as I said above, just too excited!! I am flying to Belgium on Thursday x

Oliverdog - Good luck! I'm excited too. Surgery is on Thursday for me and I'm hoping to be back at my desk job on Tuesday! So I know what you're saying!

As far as the package with signing up for the nutritional/exercise packet...that's up to you...if you think it will help or not. My surgeon's office makes us go through a 3 hour nutritional class where they go over what you need as far as nutrients, Vitamins, etc. It was helpful, but I'm guessing that upon discharge after the procedure that they'll go over what you need.

Exercise is a different story. We were told that it's a must. That we must get more active. So I joined curves cuz it's something I can do in a 1/2 hour's time (since my excuse is always time :o)

It's gonna be good. I hope all of you October bandaleros out there will post how you're doing, what's working, what's not...and how you're doing. We can all lean on each other.

Good luck to all of us!

SOEXCITED- OMG No I do not have to do that test and THANK GOD! I got chills just reading your description!

I am being banded on Wednesday and am hoping they don't sneak that one in...but I am thinking that I would have already done it.

I am so glad eveyone's surgery seems to have went well thus far...I look to this forum A LOT for encouragement and knowledge. No one else I know in my circle/family has been through this!