Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unexpected Side-Effect -- GALL STONES!!

Well, it's been a while since I've visited this site. I've been very busy with work and life. Things are going as planned as far as weight-loss is concerned so I am very happy.

This post is intended as a heads-up for all of us who have lost some significant weight. Nobody told me about this before so I feel it is important to tell you all about it now. Apparently, there is a potential side-effect to losing a lot of weight ... the development of Gall Stones in the Gall Bladder. A few weeks ago, I had a 4-hour period of extreme abdominable pain. It was strong and constant. I did not vomit or have diarhea but it did concern me. It went away as quickly as it came and I pretty much forgot about it, attributing it to some fish I ate the night before, maybe I swallowed a bone or something. A couple of weeks later the same thing happened in the middle of the night, again after eating fish. So, I figured no more fish and I'll be ok. After a routine blood test my doctor showed concern that my liver enzymes where elevated. When I explained that I didn't drink alchohol and described the couple of painful episodes, he ordered an ultrasound which showed numerous gall stones. Doing some research online, I read that the development of gall stones is indeed a side-effect of rapid weight loss. WebMD says that "Crash or "yo-yo" diets can cause the liver to release more cholesterol into the bile, disrupting the normal balance of cholesterol and bile salts. That extra cholesterol can form into crystals, leading to gallstones" Even though I have not been on a crash or yo-yo diet, it did explain the reason that my doctor was not surprised at this development. I've now have had a total of 4 very painful episodes and one mild one. Each one was the painful passing of a gall stone.

What is a gall bladder? According to WebMD ...

"The gallbladder is a small pouch that sits just under the liver. The gallbladder stores bile produced by the liver. After meals, the gallbladder is empty and flat, like a deflated balloon. Before a meal, the gallbladder may be full of bile and about the size of a small pear. In response to signals, the gallbladder squeezes stored bile into the small intestine through a series of tubes called ducts. Bile helps digest fats, but the gallbladder itself is not essential. Removing the gallbladder in an otherwise healthy individual typically causes no observable problems with health or digestion yet there may be a small risk of diarrhea and fat malabsorption."

So, what did the pain feel like? First I felt an almost unbearable hunger pain. One that could not be satisfied because I didn't feel like eating. Panic sets in because you are not sure what is going on. Applying pressure to the area below the right rib cage causes extreme pain. That is where the gall bladder is near your liver. For me, the pain lasts a few hours and then simply goes away when the stone passes. If it happens in the middle of the night, I'm wasted the next day. If it happens during waking hours, I'm okay and return to normal. One night it was so bad I called the EMT. By the time they got there it was over.

How to avoid the episode? The nurse told me to eat a very bland low-fat diet. Even then, I've had problems.

The answer for me is to have the thing removed. I've contacted my lap-band surgeon who also performs gall bladder surgery and will visit with him tomorrow. I'm looking forward to having this surgery to solve this problem.

So, please be aware of this potential problem and don't panic or assume it is related to the lap-band. Contact you doctor immediately if you experience any kind of extreme abdominable pain as that might be a problem than can be solved. It is my understanding that it is a simple laproscopic surgery that is usually done as an out-patient procedure. This is similar to what most of us have already done with our lap-band surgery. They basically go in there, grab a hold of it and pull it out, stones and all. Problem solved.

It has happened to ALOT of people on here and otherwise. I got gallstones the first time I made a significant weight loss (30 years ago). The surgeon then told me that stone forming can be an inherited tendency but that to form gallstones after a significant weight loss is entirely different and very common.

I was just diagnosed with 1 gallstone about a month ago.

However, I truly don't feel like my problem is.

I have pain in the upper middle of my stomach. Nothing on the right side bothers me at all.

It hurts worse on an empty stomach. If I eat it feels better.

I somewhat think it's an ulcer but who knows. I was told the only way to find out is an endoscopy. And right now I don't feel like have exploratory surgery.

I had my gallbladder taken out during my banding because I had large gallstones. My surgeon and primary care Dr. said that if there is any problem with it pre-op, they almost always take it out because there will definitely be issues after weight loss.

My wife had her gallbladder taken out about 2 months ago. It took a long time to figure that it was the gallbladder since she did not have any stones. The ultrasound did not show them and the hidi scan did not show much. While we were trying to find out the problem the doctor did tell us that at least 35-45% of the people in his office and other studies say the same thing, will have to have there gallbladder taken out because of the weight loss. Since it has been taken out she is back to loosing the wieght. I have been lucky so far to not have any gallbladder issues.

Chris

I was just diagnosed with 1 gallstone about a month ago.

However, I truly don't feel like my problem is.

I have pain in the upper middle of my stomach. Nothing on the right side bothers me at all.

It hurts worse on an empty stomach. If I eat it feels better.

I somewhat think it's an ulcer but who knows. I was told the only way to find out is an endoscopy. And right now I don't feel like have exploratory surgery.

Just so you know, an endoscopy isn't actually surgery where they cut you open. They usually put a tube down your throat which gives the doc a picture of your stomach. You're under conscious sedation, which is where they make you all loopy so you hopefully won't remember but they don't knock you out to where you need a breathing tube.

After my daughter and I had our RNYs they put us on a preventative medication called "Actigall" or "Ursodiol". I wonder if they only do that for bypass patients?? Nancy

Just so you know, an endoscopy isn't actually surgery where they cut you open. They usually put a tube down your throat which gives the doc a picture of your stomach. You're under conscious sedation, which is where they make you all loopy so you hopefully won't remember but they don't knock you out to where you need a breathing tube.

A very accurate post.

Good job.

After suffering for 3 or 4 years with what I thought was stomach pain, not gall bladder pain, as it wasnt on my side either, I finally had the scope done, and ultrasound to find gall stones. I had my gall bladder removed earlier this year but the pain still kept coming. I was sick inside wondering what the heck the problem could be, so the doctor sent me for an ERCP. (basically another scope but they remove stones from the bile ducts if there are some still caught. Turns out I didn t have stones, my bile duct was sealed shut somehow, I dont remember exactly how they said, as I just came out of the loopy meds as "unforgettable" mentioned. However, I have been pain free for months now and I am sooo happy! I was drinking a bottle of Malox a week, thinking it was an ulcer. No more Malox or anything else for me and I am finally losing weight again. Well I was except I am also 6 months pregnant, so I lost 15 lbs the first half, and have only gained 4 lbs so far! YAY (gained 50 with my first child even with the band, but didnt get a defill this time)

Candice

Spec, my gallbladder/right side area NEVER hurt me. Not even when it started to exhibit gangrene! My pain was midchest, and radiated up and eventually got so bad it hurt in my jaw. Often the pain is not where you think it would be. Gallbladder pain in usually chest pain and many people only discover they have a gallbladder problem after they go to the emergency room because they think they are having heart attacks.

Wow. It's amazing how different it is for everyone. I was supposed to have my surgery last Friday but my EKG came back abnormal so they have delayed until that issue is resolved. I do so want to get the gallbladder out. I feel like I have a ticking time bomb in me just waiting for me to eat a little too much fat, a little too much of whatever will trigger it. My weight loss is basically slowed to a snail's pace. I'm also concerned about bouncing back after surgery. There is so much to work around this time of year that 5-10 days of recovery will impact. So frustrating.

After my daughter and I had our RNYs they put us on a preventative medication called "Actigall" or "Ursodiol". I wonder if they only do that for bypass patients?? Nancy

Nope, not just RNY patients. I was on Actigall for 6 months after my lap band as well =) No stones so far *knocks on wood*

NurseMelly,

that's good that they did that. Maybe it's something new as I wasn't on it when I had my lap band done in 2007 and have the same surgeon still. I'm on this for six months myself but better safe than sorry!! Nancy.