Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky #7 are still going strong !!!

You are a beautiful, amazing woman Janet. You were 3 years ago but your beauty really shines now! You are an inspiration and so important to so many people. Your example shines like a light for everyone and you always have a kind shoulder and kick in the @$$ when we need it.

This morning....fixed myself a smoothie. Didn't really want it, but know that I'm off on a motorcycle trip which means convenience stores every 100 miles so NEED it. Because of you and the rest of my glorious 7's I am back on the bandwagon and going to work to be as successful as the rest of you.

Thank you for your inspiration Janet! You are so very dear to me! Congrats on your bandiversary!!!

The biggest problem is...it IS broke. I need to focus on being healthy. Moving, eating better, and just plain taking care of myself. I think maybe I should try 3 shakes a day for the next week just to get back on the losing side of things.
Well it might be good for a few days - say 3ish to sorta wean yourself from your food addiction - you know detox ;0) But I wouldn't go so far as a week - imho then you are going to feel deprived from not chewing.. Yep you just gotta start planning your meal and have the stuff on hand... You do so much for the family and everything else - charities - rides - etc - how about spending some of that energy on YOU!!!!! YOU DESERVE TO BE HEALTHY !!!!!

Steph... do the "Five Day Pouch Test". Google it.

On the chicken salad, I usually pair it with watermelon or cantelope and usually eat if for 4 to 6 meals. I usually also use light to nonfat miracle whip and about triple the celery and onions. Calorie calculation is 221 and keeps me full.

Thanks for the well wishes on Sydney. So far so good. She is such a goofy dog about Water.

Well best go find something to eat before I go, you all have a relaxing weekend! TTFN

Karla... I think I will make some of that chicken salad. It was very good. Sounds like a good lunch thing.

So glad to hear Sydney is hanging in there.

Our baby goes for a "hair do" this morning.

Janet....

CONGRATS!!!

:cool::party::wink2:

You are our HERO!

That picture is SO impressive!! It's my favorite of all you photos. I stole it for my "Lucky 7's" picture folder. Have you posted it on FB??

Yoplait greek vanilla/honey usually...sometimes strawberry.

V8 fusion light. I think I'm doing blueberry pomegranite this week. I change.

Creamer, SF french vanilla coffeemate

I know it's a lot of calories, but it is something that I never lose. when all else fails it fills me up and stays down.

I've gone to the greek yogurt because of the extra Protein. It's ff so that's a bonus. Usually if I have a smoothie I don't snack on other stuff. It fills the sweet void.

o.k. here's my 2 cents;

1/2 cup Skim MILK .......................(45 cals)

1/2 cup sugar free, FAT FREE Yogurt (whatever flav)..{40 cals)

1 scoop of Protien Powder( whey or Soy) ....(100 cals)

2 strawberries....... (10 cals)

2 raspberries...........) 10 cals)

4 chunks of Cantelope(cubes) ,,,,,,,,(20 cals)

Total= 225 cals...

toss all that in your blender and YUMMMM ... its fat free, loaded with protien and will stay with you.

Skip that coffee Mate creamer ...its just CRAP...have you read the ingredients gf??? If you can't pronounce them... you shouldn't eat it!!!

Remember, Foods that are in their "as near to original state" are the healthiest.

That goes for chicken, buy raw and cook it yourself (less sodium)

Pork, do your own chops, ribs etc...

Vegetables

You know what's best, cooking from SCRATCH like our MOM's used to do before there was ALL this convenience food!!!

Popcorn(plain) rather than Crackers...

I cut up WW PITA bread, into triangles = spread it out onto a baking sheet, sprinkle with EVOO and sea salt. Bake for 10 mins. in the overn... then they keep in a plastic bag all week. Good for dipping HUMMOUS into...

ooh yeah, and make your OWN Hummous...same deal , less sodium

Weight loss today: 2.8 lbs :cool:

Good Morning Gang

3 yrs ago right now I was in surgery...

1st year got to goal 145 !!!! (Thanks Karri for being my muse)

Got the next few lbs off by Sept 08.

Have maintained my weight loss for 2 yrs !!!

(fluctuate between 136-140)

How you may ask (by following the rules)

I have finally gotten that this really is about a lifetime lifestyle change and not a diet

I eat HEALTHY 98% of the time - Allow for treats 2% of the time - Hit the gym - weights, cardio & classes 3 to 4 times a week and with the help of my little friend (the band) I have become a healthier person with tons more energy and feel 10 yrs younger..

Life is good !!! And let me tell I have always been a shopper (even at 250) but now EVERY THING looks cute on - Love being a size 4/6 - instead of 18/20 to 22/24 !!!

It's doable pple - If I can do it so can you... I am a food addict just like everyone else - the secret - take back your power !!! I walked down the candy/cookie isle in the grocery store last week and snubbed my nose at the crap... That's empowering !!!

Just gotta toot my own horn this morning !!!!

Yo Mama, you are HOT!!! Yes, you have "gotten it"... gym is a huge component.. now that I an getting the "food part" down, I am working on the gym... I did very well with it this week and I am feeling my legs...

I know that sounds weird, but I can feel the strength coming back to my legs... they are the biggest muscles so I can feel them easily, but that just means that all the other littleer muscles are getting stronger too...:cool:

Thank you so much for being such an inspiration to us all... You are PROOF that we can ALL do it... we just have to LOVE ourselves enough to make ourselves #1....

poop, crying now.... damn you Janet!!!:wink2::Yawn:

Reading that book, man I didn't realize how many feelings I was NOT feeling... I have a great life, don't want for anything but keep pushing down feelings with food. What feelings you may ask? Still finding that all out... its a lot of work, tackling a bit at a time.

some pearls of wisdom... page 37

"But I also tell them that compulsive eating is basically a refusal to be fully alive. No matter what we weigh, those of us who are complusive eaters have anorexia of the soul. We refuse to take in what sustains us. We live lives of deprivation.(dieting) And when we can't stand it any longer, we binge."

Hugs and love,

Candice :thumbup:

Thanks Peeps !!!!

Steph - I here you on convenient stores - trouble - nothing healthy- so take stuff w/you !!!

Candice - WTG 2.8 lbs :cool::thumbup:

Phyl - Thanks !!! Nope haven't been of FB yet - plastering all over LBT :woot:- In the Introductions - In General thread and then in success stories - I am tooting my own horn to the max today :thumbup:- today is like my birthday :Yawn:- I feel really proud of me - I feel so much stronger and happier now that food isn't controlling me but I am controlling it !!!:wink2:

Yo Mama, you are HOT!!! Yes, you have "gotten it"... gym is a huge component.. now that I an getting the "food part" down, I am working on the gym... I did very well with it this week and I am feeling my legs...

I know that sounds weird, but I can feel the strength coming back to my legs... they are the biggest muscles so I can feel them easily, but that just means that all the other littleer muscles are getting stronger too...:cool:

Thank you so much for being such an inspiration to us all... You are PROOF that we can ALL do it... we just have to LOVE ourselves enough to make ourselves #1....

poop, crying now.... damn you Janet!!!:wink2::Yawn:

Reading that book, man I didn't realize how many feelings I was NOT feeling... I have a great life, don't want for anything but keep pushing down feelings with food. What feelings you may ask? Still finding that all out... its a lot of work, tackling a bit at a time.

some pearls of wisdom... page 37

"But I also tell them that compulsive eating is basically a refusal to be fully alive. No matter what we weigh, those of us who are complusive eaters have anorexia of the soul. We refuse to take in what sustains us. We live lives of deprivation.(dieting) And when we can't stand it any longer, we binge."

Hugs and love,

Candice :thumbup:

Candice - Good Cry - it's ok to cry - it's ok to feel !!!

I was most impressed when I heard Oprah say - she didn't feel stress - cuz she was eating it away..

I am getting that book this weekend~~ I truly think that the statement you quoted hits the nail on the head !!!

EVERYONE CAN DO THIS ...

det2_print_recipe.jpg Stephanies chicken salad Mix

Nutritional Info

• Fat: 11
  • Carbohydrates: 18.4g
  • Calories: 333
  • Protein: 29.0g

Ingredients

2 Chicken breasts, cooked, chopped

1 cup drained pineapple, tidbits

1/2 cup slivered almonds

1/2 cup of Craisins

2 stalks of celery

1/4 FF Miracle Whip( may need + 1/4 cup)

1/2 tsp Dijon Mustand

1 clove garlic, minced Directions

Cook chicken breasts, in microwave or oven. Skin, and chop chicken breasts ( a friend uses 2 canned costco Chicken breast)

Cool. Then add:

all chopped ingredients and spices, mix with the Miracle Whip... add an additional 1/4 cup of mayo if needed , but ADD the additional calories.

Number of Servings: 6

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user 2BHEALTHY4LIFE1.

The Major change I made in this recipe is cooked chicken, and I used FF Miracle whip... that saved a lot of calouries.

Candice

o.k. just finished making this... but I used 3 chicken breasts, added 1/4 cup REAL Mayo, plus I forgot the ONION...

So this WHOLE mess as I made it, comes to 6 - 1 cup servings... which is generous for a bandster.. I'll probably only be able to eat 3/4 cup...

Edited by peaches9
more info

well, I was right... only able to eat 3/4 cup of the chicken mixture... oh and I got stuck on the first bite at supper time... gosh... when will I learn to CHEW, CHEW, CHEW... especially when there is fiberous things in there like PINEAPPLE!!!!

o.k. Pb'd and now I am able to eat once more...

Still reading THE book this afternoon. I went to Canadian Tire store and bought myself a zero-gravity chair for the deck... it is awesome and very relaxing.

page 127....

The GPS from the Twilight Zone.

The biggest obstacle to any kind of transformation is the Voice that tells you it's impossible. It says: You've always been like this, you'll always be like this, what's the point. No one ever really changes. Might as well eat. By the way, have you taken a look at your arms recently? And what were you thinking when you wore those pants today? Have you noticed the rolls cascading over your pants? And excuse me, did you forget to put on makeup today or is that what you look like when it's already on? That hair! Those thighs! Why do you even bother?

Does anybody else recognise this voice? I don't know about you -but I hear it all the time... no wonder I hate my body

Everyone has The Voice. Its a developmental necessity. You need to learn not to put your hands in fire, walk into oncoming traffic, stick electrical wires into Water.

But after childhood( I am paraphrasing here) the Voice is not longer necessary... we are adults, we don't have to listen to the voice (and all its negativity) we can make healthyer choices for ourselves ... Eat good foods, eat when we are hungry, eat what we want... but STOP when we are full... ONLY eat when you are truly hungry.

There are No bad foods. She maintains that you don't need to count calories... because listening to YOUR body and not THE VOICE you will eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. You body will find its Natural weight , the excess will fall off.

Hum Candice, I think I am going to have to get that book. Sounds interesting, I think I will also get a copy for my mom.

Janet, what can I say, down right fabulous, congratulations!!!!

Our Sydney had a quiet day at home. All looks good so far, she will get all the drain tubes out on Monday. I guess her chest is turning all kinds of neon bruising. Her pain seems to be manageable.

Candice, congrats on the weight loss!!!

Worked in the yard until about 7, scrubbed all the goop from work off and sitting here getting to ready to drink my iced skinny latte. May or may not eat dinner. Couldn't really eat lunch, too hot. I tell you, I sure do miss those Rainer Cherries. I hope our Flathead cherries are ripe soon.

Phyl, I bet Zoey looks stunning!

Steph, vrrroooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm, hope you had fun. Think good food thoughts.

TTFN

well, I was right... only able to eat 3/4 cup of the chicken mixture... oh and I got stuck on the first bite at supper time... gosh... when will I learn to CHEW, CHEW, CHEW... especially when there is fiberous things in there like PINEAPPLE!!!!

o.k. Pb'd and now I am able to eat once more...

Still reading THE book this afternoon. I went to Canadian Tire store and bought myself a zero-gravity chair for the deck... it is awesome and very relaxing.

page 127....

The GPS from the Twilight Zone.

The biggest obstacle to any kind of transformation is the Voice that tells you it's impossible. It says: You've always been like this, you'll always be like this, what's the point. No one ever really changes. Might as well eat. By the way, have you taken a look at your arms recently? And what were you thinking when you wore those pants today? Have you noticed the rolls cascading over your pants? And excuse me, did you forget to put on makeup today or is that what you look like when it's already on? That hair! Those thighs! Why do you even bother?

Does anybody else recognise this voice? I don't know about you -but I hear it all the time... no wonder I hate my body

Everyone has The Voice. Its a developmental necessity. You need to learn not to put your hands in fire, walk into oncoming traffic, stick electrical wires into Water.

But after childhood( I am paraphrasing here) the Voice is not longer necessary... we are adults, we don't have to listen to the voice (and all its negativity) we can make healthyer choices for ourselves ... Eat good foods, eat when we are hungry, eat what we want... but STOP when we are full... ONLY eat when you are truly hungry.

There are No bad foods. She maintains that you don't need to count calories... because listening to YOUR body and not THE VOICE you will eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. You body will find its Natural weight , the excess will fall off.

Candice - IMHO- we have to re-train that voice we have to re-train our bodies to crave the healthy stuff - we have to learn what full is - not stuffed (I still have this issue) - and part of that process is knowing what's healthy - knowing the calories that we consume (as a learning tool) - after years of eating 2 cups of mashed potatoes w/a whole stick of butter - that's what my body wanted in the beginnning - now I gotta say that today it craves more veggies - heck one nite on the island - that's what I ate for dinner was just a plate of veggies...

That voice still talks to me sometimes - but I have learned to talk back to it for the most part now a days..

Hum Candice, I think I am going to have to get that book. Sounds interesting, I think I will also get a copy for my mom.

Janet, what can I say, down right fabulous, congratulations!!!!

Our Sydney had a quiet day at home. All looks good so far, she will get all the drain tubes out on Monday. I guess her chest is turning all kinds of neon bruising. Her pain seems to be manageable.

Worked in the yard until about 7, scrubbed all the goop from work off and sitting here getting to ready to drink my iced skinny latte. May or may not eat dinner. Couldn't really eat lunch, too hot. I tell you, I sure do miss those Rainer Cherries. I hope our Flathead cherries are ripe soon.

Steph, vrrroooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm, hope you had fun. Think good food thoughts.

TTFN

Karla glad you had a good day.. Glad the dog is improving.. You need dinner :0) have a salad - it's cool - I guess you would have died here today - my car said 110

Well, I didn't do too much washed clothes - cleaned kitchen and bathroom - had 2 eggs - took a 30 min nap - showered dressed went to costco - got meat - fish and those salmon patties - having that and green Beans for dinner.. Came home and ran to target to get Andrew cold medicine and kleenex..

Thats' it for my day - tomorrow morning my dogs go to the groomers and I am going to some yoga/pliates class call pyos (sp)

wow just found this ..and its awesome...

Published on SelfGrowth.com (http://www.selfgrowth.com)

***Learning How To Love Yourself

By Annette Colby, RD, the Official Guide to Energy Healing

On Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 08:55

The most important relationship you will ever have is the one you have with yourself. Yet, how often have you heard yourself say, "I am my own worst enemy"? If your goals involve raising your confidence, ending depression, moving beyond diets or overeating behaviors, or just plain wanting to live a happier, fulfilled life, you have to know what self-love looks like. Learn how to define self-love and then how to bring it into your own life!

Oscar Wilde once stated, "To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance." Love is a mystery and not easily definable. However, it does have certain characteristics. Self-love is a consuming passion for your own happiness. It is an ongoing choice you make to be glad to alive, here on Earth, in your own body.

Self-love occurs when you decide who you are and what you want is important. It is an inner state of being which develops as you decide it is all right to build a kind, sensuous, and meaningful partnership with your self. Self-love involves deciding to connect with your dreams and then supporting yourself with encouraging thoughts and empowering self-supportive actions.

Defining Self-Love

Self-love is not so much a feeling as it is a decrease of self-doubt and self-disapproval. It involves an ever-growing sense of balance and belonging. Respect, responsibility for self, and feeling good are important values. Self-love means that your well-being matters to yourself unconditionally and in practical terms. The following are some characteristics of self-loving people:

• Self-loving people focus on feeling good.

• Self-loving people allow themselves to be happy and to share this with others.

• Self-loving people tend to treat themselves well.

• They see enjoyment of life as a primary goal most of the time.

• They do not remain in mistreatment by others.

• They are caring towards others. (Because it feels good to do so).

• They put themselves first. Even those they love are a "close second."

• They find a thought that feels good, and practice it.

• They let themselves succeed.

Basic Principles of Self Love

• Who you are is more important than what you are.

• You are valuable. Nothing can change that.

• What you want always matters.

How to Develop and Nurture Love

Increasing your love of self involves an intention to become more self-loving and then following up this intention with reinforcing actions. An intention involves a conscious decision to be happier and more fulfilled in your own life. You make a new decision to be alive . . . and then accept personal responsibility to make your life a better, more enjoyable experience. It may take considerable effort to pry yourself out of a life that feels less than joyful, but it is entirely possible to have the kind of life you want for yourself. Below are some practical ideas of how to begin expanding your love of self:

• Acknowledge and verbally praise yourself.

• Have fun more often.

• Learn new ways to relax and release tension.

• Practice conscious, deep, full-bodied breathing several times each day.

• Think inspiring thoughts.

• Instead of always focusing on the problem, decide to focus on desired outcomes.

• Fill your life with beauty, such as times of silence, beautiful music, flowers.

• Raise your confidence by taking daily small, achievable actions steps that support your goal.

• Acknowledge your efforts and your successes.

• Reward yourself daily.

• Listen to your intuition and then follow it.

• Let yourself succeed.

• Nurture yourself by imagining desired outcomes to life's situations.

• Offer yourself affection in many, many different ways.

• Choose to think thoughts that bring inner peace (rather than worry).

• Remember and feel gratitude.

Love may be a mystery. The good news is that the art of increasing self-love is not so mysterious. In fact, it is something you can learn through knowledge and practice. Imagine your self-love as a seed inside of you. Even if it is just a tiny, unnourished, seed right now, you have the ability to grow that seed into something spectacular. The growth of your self-love is not going to happen overnight. However, by taking certain actions, your seed will most assuredly grow. Today, make a commitment to yourself to nurture your inner seed of love. Ask yourself, "How can I be more loving to myself today?" Use your imagination and come up with several possibilities. Then, follow through with your thoughts and put them into action. Do this every day, and watch as you begin to create the loving life you deserve.

Author's Bio

Dr. Annette Colby, RD can help you take the pain out of life, turn difficult emotions into joy, release stress, end emotional eating, and move beyond depression into an extraordinary life! Annette is the author of Your Highest Potential and has the unique ability to show you how to spark an amazing relationship with your life! Visit www.LovingMiracles.com to access hundreds of content filled articles and sign up for a Free subscription to Loving Miracles! newsletter.

Additional Resources covering Energy Healing can be found at:

Website Directory for Energy Healing

Articles on Energy Healing

Products for Energy Healing

Discussion Board

Annette Colby, the Official Guide To Energy Healing

Source URL: http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Learning_How_to_Love_Yourself.html

I'm back ladies! Not as long of a ride as I had planned, but the wind made us rethink our original plans.

Candice, thanks for the chx salad info. I think I will try it with home cooked chicken. I wonder how it changes with thighs instead of breasts? I know they aren't as good for me, but I can usually eat the dark and rarely the white. You are very right about the "real food" comments. So here is my question. I am willing to get rid of the coffeemate creamer if I can find something "creamy" to replace it with. I've tried making my smoothies with skim milk and just don't like the consistancy.

Janet...toot toot toot! You need to do that for yourself! You deserve to be proud of yourself. You've earned every single bit of it!

Phyl, Zoey's haircut story was too funny. Banned from Petco? How could one little itty bitty darling cause enough mayhem to be banned? It's not like she's a pitbull. Anyways...I agree with others. Find a personal groomer that does it quietly, one groomer, one dog at a time. See if you can get her brushed by the groomer once or twice before you take her back for a bath and brush before you take her back for a bath, cut, and brush. It might be a little pricey but you'll have found someone you trust with your dog and Zoey will be much calmer. My SIL''s dog just about goes out of his mind with excitement if you even say the groomer's name. He loves her THAT much. Mine, not as much, but they are good. Oh...and I think the 5 day pouch test is a good idea. I go to Lincoln on Thurs or Fri so it would be good to be back on the right path before that roadtrip.

Karla, glad the puppy is doing well. I hope you cool off enough to eat something.

Okay...food today....

smoothie this morning, a couple of diet sodas on the road, a "walkin taco" ...or 1/2 of one...for lunch (best of all available choices), and then walleye and calimari for dinner. I'm really tired so hopefully I will go to bed before the munchies hit. If they do, I'll probably mix up some sort of smoothie. I'll try it with more juice, no creamer (just for you Candice:tt2:)

Night ladies. Love you all.

Published on SelfGrowth.com (http://www.selfgrowth.com)

Does it really matter why?

By Stephen Hosaflook

On Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 14:03

As a recovering obese person I’m starting to question all this examining, digging, and analyzing of WHY people are obese. That there’s some deep dark secret we’re hiding that causes our obesity. Jillian Michaels of The Biggest Loser, and now her own show, Losing it with Jillian, is a big proponent of digging into people’s sordid pasts and trying to find that deep dark secret. I love Jillian, The Biggest Loser, and Losing it with Jillian. She cares and I understand what she’s trying to do. But how is understanding why, if there is a why, going to help us at that critical moment when we’re faced with that piece of apple pie a-la-mode? When it comes right down to it, we’re still going to have to make the choice. Do I eat this or not? And if I do, is it because my dad ignored me all those years ago? Or was it my mom and dad’s divorce when I was 6 years old that’s going to cause me to eat this pie and ice cream right now? What we do right now, at that critical moment of temptation, has nothing to do with what happened a hour ago, yesterday, or 20 years ago. I just don’t agree with that.

Don’t get me wrong. I feel for people who’ve had horrible pasts. Do our problems weigh on us? Sure they do. We all carry tremendous burdens and hurts from the past and possibly even yesterday. People can dredge up all kinds of painful events from our past. And it might even help diagnose something. But how long are we going to use those past events as excuses for overeating or being obese? This has made me wonder how Jillian would handle me. Okay, I’ll bite for just a moment here and make public three of my own past and current troubles. Could these three things be the reasons why I’m a recovering obese person? Let’s see…here I go,

#1…When I was 10 years old and in the fourth grade, it was mandatory for all fourth graders to take swimming lessons at the local High School. We had 30 kids in our class. Mrs. Gilligan was the teacher. For twelve weeks we boarded a bus every Wednesday and went to the pool to learn how to swim. At the end of the program, I was the only one in the class who didn’t learn how to swim. I was afraid of going in Water over my head. Well, believe me, I was the butt of some unbelievable hazing from my classmates. Even Mrs. Gilligan let the whole class know how disappointed she was in me. That’s pretty traumatic for a ten year old, don’t you think? But I don’t think about that anymore. Well, until just now.

#2…My brother was an alcoholic and passed away about a year and a half ago. To this day I harbor tremendous guilt about not doing enough to stop this tragedy… maybe not being tough enough. I enabled him, to keep the peace in the house. I thought him seeing me change would give him the will to change. It didn’t. Why didn’t I do more? This is very stressful but it’s just another thing I have to live with, and I think about it a lot.

#3…Currently I'm the caregiver for my elderly ill parents. It's my role now and I fully accept it. This was the single most important reason for me retiring this past March. I put in my thirty plus years and the timing was right. I need to be home as much as possible now. But at times it feels like I'm trapped. I still do things but traveling is out of the question now. I can't go on a golf vacation like I used to, let alone be away overnight anymore. I love my mom and dad more than anything in this world...it's not their fault. Sometimes it seems unfair though. See, I'm looked at as being the "Rock" of my family. I'm the oldest and I'm expected to do everything, say all the right things, and be responsible for anything and everything. I'm never allowed say no and I can’t defend myself when people think I make a wrong or unpopular decision. Even though I’ve willingly accepted this as my responsibility and wouldn’t change it for the world, it’s still very stressful at times.

Now that’s a lot of baggage, but no more and probably a lot less than some other folks have. But okay, I said it. You made me say it Jillian! You wanted to drag some baggage out of me so you can say… “Now we know why you’re fat Steve. Now we can fix you.” Sorry, I disagree. I think I’ve got this one figured out though. And no analyzing needs to be done.

See, what it all boils down to is this... no matter how many horrible and traumatic events I haul out of my past or current life, I can't use any of those things as an excuse to over eat right now. As tough as those things are some days, as much of a weight as they can be on my shoulders...I cannot use them to say something like this... "It's just too much for me today and I can't handle it! Everybody laughed at me when I was 10 years old and afraid of the water. I just didn’t do enough to help my brother. I'm all alone here with no help… so I'm going to sit down, relax, and reward myself with a big bowl of ice cream because I deserve it!"

When I’m sitting there staring at that bowl of ice cream or that piece of apple pie with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on it, am I thinking about those three things? No, I’m thinking how good that stuff looks and whether I should dive into it or not. Will thinking about my baggage make me start eating it or give me the strength to throw it away? No, because I’m not thinking about my baggage at that moment. I’m just thinking about what’s sitting there in front of me. Now, if I CHOOSE to, I can use all of those things as excuses. But all I’ve really done is cooked up in my own mind a reason to justify my binge eating. See how easy it is to do? So why do I want to think about why? It’s tough enough to say no to that garbage in the first place.

In my humble opinion, we all do what we really want to do. Past or current experiences can’t make us do anything. Cruel and uncaring people from a day ago or 30 years ago can’t make us do anything. We make our own choices right now and we do exactly what we want to do right now. It doesn’t matter why we choose to do it…we just choose to do it. How decisive are we? Are we committed or are we just involved.

“Want to be decisive? Start by deciding to live. Getting dead is mandatory, living is a conscious choice.” Now, both of those things are decisive, but only one is mandatory. Do we decide to give up...or do we decide to fight?

I found that particular quote while I was looking for one I could use to explain the commitment needed to achieve our weight loss and maintenance goals. This is a pretty cool one too about a chicken and a pig and Breakfast. Here it is...

“The chicken was involved in creating your breakfast; the pig was committed.”

That raises a couple of questions...Are we committed to our goals? Or just involved with them? And what excuses are we using to stop us? I heard a new one today… “My food addiction is an inherited family behavior.” Are you kidding me? When is this madness going to stop?

Face it, we're all here because we want to lose weight and keep it off. Knowing what we want and how we think we can achieve it is having a strategic vision. That’s helpful, even necessary, but not enough for success. We can have a vision without commitment; that’s called a dream. Not even involvement is enough to make dreams come true… we have to be committed. We have to be willing to do whatever it takes. We have to be willing to commit our soul to this task.

The problem with this sometimes is not everyone will understand or appreciate our focus. There will be those who "try" to give us an out. Or those who'll even be jealous of our commitment to success. Some may even fear we're leaving them behind so they'll lay a guilt trip on us. These are things we can use as excuses too.

This is upsetting for many of us because we really do want to succeed. If you're like me, you'll even want to take those family members and friends by the hand and say to them... "Come with me, we'll all be successful together." They may not be ready yet, but that shouldn't stop us. We can't let that stop us!

Whatever it is you like to use as an excuse, break free from that. I battle using my guilt and anger as excuses. And when I do, I have to make a conscious choice...am I really committed or am I just involved? Am I willing to be the pig and commit all? Will I risk being called a name or two, or allow a guilt trip to be laid on me in order to get what I really want? Or will I just be an involved excuse making chicken?

Author's Bio

53 year old retired school custodian

4 time loser of 100 pounds or more

Author of soon to be published book... LION UNLEASHED: A Journey of Weight Lost and Courage Found

Fulltime caregiver for elderly ill parents

Owner of weightloss and maintenance website... http://www.lionunleashed.com

I'm not a doctor, nutritionist, dietician, certified physical trainer, or psychologist. I'm an average Joe. I've battled weight issues my whole life and I just want to help save at least one other person's life, like someone helped save mine. All I can offer is my personal lifelong experiences and my personal plan of taking off the weight and trying to keep it off. There are many ways to get from point A to point B. My way is just one in a thousand. The important thing is to find YOUR way and stick to it. My site and my book are dedicated to helping all my obese brothers and sisters who battle weight loss and maintenance issues every single day. Together we can do it.

Source URL: http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/does-it-really-matter-why

Thanks Peeps !!!! Steph - I here you on convenient stores - trouble - nothing healthy- so take stuff w/you !!! Candice - WTG 2.8 lbs :smile::thumbup:

Phyl - Thanks !!! Nope haven't been of FB yet - plastering all over LBT :lol:- In the Introductions - In General thread and then in success stories - I am tooting my own horn to the max today :tt2:- today is like my birthday :tt2:- I feel really proud of me - I feel so much stronger and happier now that food isn't controlling me but I am controlling it !!!:scared2:

We are very proud of you, too!

You are an inspiration!

Your before/after photos are AMAZING!!

Janet, what can I say, down right fabulous,congratulations!!!!

Steph, vrrroooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm, hope you had fun. Think good food thoughts. TTFN

Yeah, I might have to get that book, too.

Glad to hear Sydney is plugging along.

I tried to have my latte iced last week... actually, "blended", but I just don't like them cold. Doesn't taste the same to me. And I don't like it when I have all that foam left in the bottom. So I'm back to hot now.

Rainier cherries are on sale at one of our local grocery stores for $2.99/lb. this week, so I bought some for Earl.

Well... Zoey looks better, but not exactly stunning because the groomer really couldn't do a thorough job. If you saw my FB post... it was not a happy experience!! Dropped her off at Petsmart a little after 9 a.m. About 11 a.m., we're at our Primetimer's breakfast and it's really quiet, even though there are about 60 people there, because someone just started praying for someone who is sick. So my phone is yelling, "YOUR PHONE IS RINGING"!! It was Petsmart calling to tell me they were not going to be able to groom Zoey because she bit one of the groomers and drew blood! So, "do you want us to give her a bath"?? So I said yes. Then they call back 1/2 hr later to say she's ready to be picked up! We were totally frustrated. Talking to a lady who was sitting across from us at breakfast, she told us about a groomer she's been taking her dog to for a long time. So I used my Blackberry to look up the phone number on the internet and called the lady. I told her exactly what happened at Petsmart and that we were on our way to go pick her up and did she think she might want to try grooming her. So she told us to bring her over right away. Asked her about sedating her and she thought it might be a good idea. So we picked her up, stopped home and gave her a piece of one of the pills they gave us last week and took her to this other lady. This time we both stayed there with her and Earl hoped the lady restrain her. She ended up biting both of them, but the lady got real tough with her then and kept a firm grip on the back of her neck so she couldn't bite them and she was able to clean her up pretty good.

One thing she told us is 6 mos old is way too long to wait to start grooming... which of course was out of our control since we just got her. But she cleaned up her face real good, and her bottom, and used the electric shears to give her an overall trim. She hated having the long fur around her paws trimmed almost as much as she hated having her face trimmed. She was yelping and crying and struggling to get away. She was really petrified of the whole process.

So now I'm afraid Tracy and Jim think she's a monster dog that shouldn't be around kids! I have her in several stores EVERY day and she LOVES kids and has never gotten nasty with anyone when we're out and about. Once she sort of snapped at a neighbor, but she picked her up weird. And she doesn't like to have her face messed with. But she's really a sweet dog. I'm not sure they're even going to let her play with Gigi anymore and they love to play together.

Frustrating day! But we'll definitely be taking her back to that groomer. She said it would be better next time. And... after all that, she asks me if $25 is okay???!! Good grief! I said that was more than okay and wrote her a check for $30.. should've given her more!

Okay...I actually measured everything I put in my smoothie...

yogurt 130 cals, 12g protien

1 c frozen fruit, 70 cals

2tbs rasp puree 20 cals (strained rasp only)

1/2 c v8 fusion light 25 cals

1/4 c sf creamer 60 cals

So, for 305 cals I get 2 servings fruit and 12g protien. I just saw a commercial for special k protien shakes that reminded me that I used to use THAT instead of creamer and that might be a good trade off for me. I forgot all about it. I could add Protein and lose cals, but for 300 cal meal, that's not too bad.