Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September 2009 Band Date

I posted this in it's own thread and then this thread was pointed out and wanted to know if anyone had any of the same experiences that I have had:

Okay, I was banded yesterday and today has been horrible. Starting about 8am this morning, I started having strong dry heaves. These are body racking dry heaves, not just a little gag. The dr is calling me in some phenegran supositorises, and said no liquids tonight. He said that if it doesn't ease off, then I will need to be admitted back into the hospital tomorrow for iv fluids and meds.

WHen I heave nothing but foamy stuff comes up. I have a sharp pain all over my belly when it happens, but that goes away as soon as I stop heaving.

Has anyone else dealt with this experience??

Hi Dana, I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling good today. I had dry heaves as well after surgery. I constantly felt like I have to vomit... It reminded me of severe motion sickness... a lot of saliva would accumulate in my mouth and I was so ready to vomit.... my stomach cramped but nothing came out. At that time I was hoping I could vomit because I was hoping it would make me feel better, but nothing happened.

I had surgery on Friday at approx. 10:45 am and the dry heaves stopped early Saturday Morning.

I believe it was caused by the anesthesia and started as soon as I was allowed to drink. I also read on the LBT that other people had the same and recommend to not lay down after drinking.

I hope you are feeling better soon, it is best to follow your Doctors advice and instructions... I am sure you will be feeling better soon.

smallerj (jes) 9/16/09

Boo Cakes 9/16/09

Good Luck Tomorrow

Hardygostlin (Jody) 9/17/09

Loveslady(Tawonda) 9/17/09

Gatorgirl1024 (Shelley) 9/17/09

MishiB (Michelle) 9/17/09

We Are Next!!!!!:thumbup: I'm trying to check everything off my list. Praying everything goes well and making sure my liver has shrunk. Am I the only one to have a last supper?? I know I shouldn't have but I needed fried chicken one more time.:thumbup:

I am wanting a last supper soooo bad!!! :thumbup: My doctor has me on Clear Liquids for the 3 days before surgery!! i am so over it. How much weight has everyone lost on there preop diets. I have lost about 10lbs.....I am so nervous that I haven't lost enough. I think i am just paranoid! i don't want anything to keep me form getting this surgery! I am soooo for all of us!!:mad2:

Hi: I was banded 9/2 so great to see a group that is in the same boat as me by way of a time line. I was down 5# 6 days post op for my 1st appt. and of course they said nothing after I got off the scale so I have no way of knowing if that's good or bad? Any feedback.

I did not have the racking pain I'm reading about but had some gas pain that kept settling into my left shoulder/ neck area that was not always pleasant. That lasted til about 1-2 days ago.:mad2:

I posted this in it's own thread and then this thread was pointed out and wanted to know if anyone had any of the same experiences that I have had:

Okay, I was banded yesterday and today has been horrible. Starting about 8am this morning, I started having strong dry heaves. These are body racking dry heaves, not just a little gag. The dr is calling me in some phenegran supositorises, and said no liquids tonight. He said that if it doesn't ease off, then I will need to be admitted back into the hospital tomorrow for iv fluids and meds.

WHen I heave nothing but foamy stuff comes up. I have a sharp pain all over my belly when it happens, but that goes away as soon as I stop heaving.

Has anyone else dealt with this experience??

No I haven't. Not that this helps you but I didn't want to ignore it. Good that you called your doctor... did he/she say if its due to the anesthesia? I was part of a trial and this is one of the questions in the study -if I am having any dry heaves. They told me this can happen up to 3 days later - nausea and I assume dry heaves if it is in the questionairre for an anti nausea drug to alleviate the nausea that occurs from anesthesia. Hope you feel better soon! Keep us posted.

I am wanting a last supper soooo bad!!! :thumbup: My doctor has me on clear liquids for the 3 days before surgery!! i am so over it. How much weight has everyone lost on there preop diets. I have lost about 10lbs.....I am so nervous that I haven't lost enough. I think i am just paranoid! i don't want anything to keep me form getting this surgery! I am soooo for all of us!!:mad2:

Gatorgirl you are in for the home stretch stick w/ the diet. I had to do it for two weeks and the reason they do it is to shrink your liver. It takes about 3 days to deplete your glycogen stores then your body lives off fat and muscle. If you carb up now it may take longer to deplete that. I would be on Liquid Protein diet for 24 days if you count the 10 days after surgery as well. I have lost 16.2 lbs so far - gotta love Protein only diets its about the only thing I can metabolize normal. I have PCOS as well.

I am wanting a last supper soooo bad!!! :thumbup: My doctor has me on clear liquids for the 3 days before surgery!! i am so over it. How much weight has everyone lost on there preop diets. I have lost about 10lbs.....I am so nervous that I haven't lost enough. I think i am just paranoid! i don't want anything to keep me form getting this surgery! I am soooo for all of us!!:mad2:

I lost 10lbs and I really want to be down 15. If it wasn't for that stupid last meal I would have made my goal so for all listening just skip the last meal. My doctor didn't put me on all liquids but I am on it for the last 2 days. I am making sure everything is okay.

Gatorgirl you are in for the home stretch stick w/ the diet. I had to do it for two weeks and the reason they do it is to shrink your liver. It takes about 3 days to deplete your glycogen stores then your body lives off fat and muscle. If you carb up now it may take longer to deplete that. I would be on liquid Protein diet for 24 days if you count the 10 days after surgery as well. I have lost 16.2 lbs so far - gotta love protein only diets its about the only thing I can metabolize normal. I have PCOS as well.

Aw man Hmarko, why didn't you tell me before?:sad: I am all liquids today and tomorrow now I wonder if that is enough time to clear my glycogen out of the system. :)

Aw man Hmarko, why didn't you tell me before?:sad: I am all liquids today and tomorrow now I wonder if that is enough time to clear my glycogen out of the system. :)

They only asked u to do it for 3 days anyway - if they were REALLY after that maybe they would have asked for more days like you hear some doing this for 2 weeks. Everyone is different so hard for me to speak to your docs goals. I have fatty liver so I really had to listen to them. Anyway just stay on it the rest of the time and try to limit ur carbs. Sorry I thought you were still thinking about it :unsure: Didn't realize you already did eat the meal. You will be fine. Good luck on the surgery!

Today is my first day of my liquid diet. I have surgery the 22. I have to drink 5 Protein Shakes a day, and at first it was fine but now im hungry. Any suggestions, I really could use some support. I do not want to fail.

smallerj (jes) 9/16/09

Boo Cakes 9/16/09

Good Luck Tomorrow

Hardygostlin (Jody) 9/17/09

Loveslady(Tawonda) 9/17/09

Gatorgirl1024 (Shelley) 9/17/09

MishiB (Michelle) 9/17/09

We Are Next!!!!!:sad: I'm trying to check everything off my list. Praying everything goes well and making sure my liver has shrunk. Am I the only one to have a last supper?? I know I shouldn't have but I needed fried chicken one more time.:)

I can't believe the first day of my new life is only a couple days away. A few of my friends have asked me if I'm nervous or excited; it's so much more than that. I haven't had surgery yet and this whole process has been filled with so many more emotions than that. It's hard to describe...you all probably know what I'm talking about. I am very blessed to have the opportunity to turn my life around and have what I believe is a second chance.

I liked the name that MishiB posted a while back, Sapphire Banditos.

I also wanted to add that I found a great deal on Zero Carb Isopure today at my local GNC. The 12 pack bottles were only $12.49 because they were nearing the expiration date, November 18, 2009. They will definitely be gone before then!! Check your local store to see if they may have some also. :unsure:

Today is my first day of my liquid diet. I have surgery the 22. I have to drink 5 Protein Shakes a day, and at first it was fine but now im hungry. Any suggestions, I really could use some support. I do not want to fail.

You should feel better after the 3rd day and check your labels and make sure there isn't much sugar in ur Protein Drinks. I used Unjury (no sugar no carbs). The more carbs the hungrier you will be.

Im drinking the drinks that i got right from my surgeons office. They told me I could also have an 8 ounce glass of juice 25 % juice and 75 % Water and a glass of skim milk. Im on a 1000 calorie liquid diet. Ty for replying I havent really talkedto anyone on here.

My surgery is in 3 more days I HOPE! 9/18, the day that hopefully will change my yo-yo dieting forever.

I posted on another post about my EKG. Don't know what the problem is yet.

I have lost 18 lbs on the shake diet, mostly because I started 4 weeks ago. I did have about 4-5 dinners during that time but the Dr said it was ok since I have been losing so well. I have stuck to the shakes during the last week thought because I had to do 12 days of them and 2 days of clear liquids.

I am probably going to be at the 20lb mark by the time I have surgery on Friday if I am able to get it done.

Had some broth tonight after my shake for dinner because I still felt a bit hungry and that helped.

I have Jello waiting for me if I get hungry before bedtime.

I just wanted to say goodluck to everyone tomorrow!:)

I am being banded on the 17th too...I leave tomorrow after work to drive to Columbus, flight is early AM. Hope all goes well.. Good luck to all of you, please post and let us know how it all turns out.

Liquids ROCK! :)

K~