Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

I'm not sure if I'm a slow loser or not, but everyone in the "January Bandsters" is losing a lot more than me, well it seems. I've lost 25 pounds since January first. 13 pounds before Surgery and 12 pounds after Surgery and its now been 2 months. I guess I am a slow loser...that sucks.

Revolution.... I hate to be the one to tell u this, but I think I am the slowest loser of the January Bandsters. I was banded on 1-22-07. I have lost a total of 3lbs. Had my first fill today so maybe things wil get better. My clothes and body fell different but the scale is moving very slow. :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Hello all. I felt I needed to put another post in this thread. I was having the same doubts as all of you. I had my surgery in October and had lost very little weight and my scales just refused to move.

I felt very little restriction and had three fills within a short period of time and was hesitant to go back so soon after having the last one, but then I thought about how much I paid for this surgery (I was self pay) and since my first year of fills was included with my price, I decided that I would take advantage of that and go as often as I felt I needed to get the restriction I required.

Anyways, I went for a forth fill about a month ago, and felt immediate and good restriction for the first time. I have a 4 cc band and had to get 3.5 in the darned thing. Although I felt very tight and with the help of it was able to significantly reduce my intake of food, it still took a couple of weeks for the old metabolism to finally give up and kick in. I'm still not losing extremely fast, but now the scale is moving and I see a difference and am excited with my progress and the fact that it's finally working for me. One other BIG thing that helped... Water, Water, water and limit myself to one or two diet drinks a week. I was not drinking enough water and I think that combined with not enough restriction is what was preventing me from losing.

So, if it's not working for you. Try different things and look at what your doing and see if there's something you can do to help yourself along. Get another fill if you need it, if it is too much, you'll know and can have an un-fill. Stop the soft drinks, drink more water, make SURE you eat your Protein first, limit high calorie, easy to consume items like ice cream or milk shakes. And if you can eat bread... stop it! Just because you can eat it doesn't mean you should.

Good luck to everyone. We've all invested a lot of effort and money into our surgeries and I love being able to share our experiences and learn from each other.

That's a very good post, katy. I completely agree with no bread. I probably could eat it, because I have only had one fill, but I haven't even tried it. I know one thing for sure-if I eat carbs, I crave carbs. Bread just isn't worth it to go back to those cravings again.

I got bad news today. My dr. has decided to take spring break off, so my second fill is now posponed until the middle of April. I am looking forward to having the restriction people talk about. I hope the 2nd fill helps because I am really tired of being good, and still not losing. I am eating healthy foods, but I want to be full on a small portion.

Thanks Denise822. I'm happy to say the scales went down another pound this morning! Yipeeeeee.... finally, finally, finally, I'm seeing decent progress. I think once you get good restriction and realize that you have to work WITH the band, everything gets easier. I thought I'd never be able to give up bread, but hey, if you can not physically eat the stuff, it's real easy to give it up. I tried a couple of times and all it did was come right back up.

Giving up my daily diet drink was the most difficult. I still crave the carbonation, so I do allow myself a diet drink a couple of times a week, knowing that the next day I will have to drink plenty of Water to get rid of the one pound that automatically comes to me from drinking a soda.

The best advice I can give to anyone is to not give up or get discouraged. It has taken me four months to get to the point where I'm beginning to see real progress. It just takes longer for some people than it does others. For me, I needed more fills and had to make a few adjustments to my diet.

Good luck to everyone.

:rolleyes I qualify for this club

Welcome to the "Slow Loser" thread on LBT.

A few orders of business to begin.

First, we need to elect a leader. Someone who will voice our opinion clearly and with wisdom and humor. Our Leader will support us in our efforts and remind us of our NSV's and to not be discouraged.

I nominate - Vinesqueen. I can think of no on here on the board more eloquent and positive in her day to day outlook. (she has no idea about this, by the way - this is my own little invention - but I still think she should be our leader)

Second - we need to define "slow loser". I would propose that a slow loser is someone who is losing (or lost) less than 1 pound per week (average) during the first year of banding.

Third - Our Mission. Our Mission will be to stick together as a group. There is always strength in numbers. As we see newly banded people losing more in a month or six weeks than we have lost in 6 months to a year, we will join together and remind each other of how well we're doing. We'll chant the LBTSL ( that LapBand Talk Slow Loser) mantra of "It's not a race, it's not a race" over and over again.

Will you join me? Will you, a slow loser, a turtle in the weight loss race, make your voice heard amongst all these rabbits? Mostly will you let me know that I am not alone out here in bandland?

Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

i have only lost 12 since September. My surgeon is in two days each of the next two weeks and to busy to see me. For the first time in a long time, because of this support group, I had the nerve today to call another surgeon and I am getting a fill next Tuesday. I am having to pay cash and out of network fee for this. At least I will not get to depressed before I see doctor. I know I need a fill because I am actually hungry. At first I could only eat a couple bites, now I can eat three bowls-going back again and again. My surgeon gave me a fill in Nov. for the first time. The fill hurt very much, the surgery didn't. I do not know what size band I have. I never knew about the sizes until you all informed me.

The good news I haven't gained, the better news is I am all excited again. Thank everyone for all the info you have shared. I really was out there on my own until this site!:faint:

:rolleyes I qualify for this club

Welcome to the "Slow Loser" thread on LBT.

A few orders of business to begin.

First, we need to elect a leader. Someone who will voice our opinion clearly and with wisdom and humor. Our Leader will support us in our efforts and remind us of our NSV's and to not be discouraged.

I nominate - Vinesqueen. I can think of no on here on the board more eloquent and positive in her day to day outlook. (she has no idea about this, by the way - this is my own little invention - but I still think she should be our leader)

Second - we need to define "slow loser". I would propose that a slow loser is someone who is losing (or lost) less than 1 pound per week (average) during the first year of banding.

Third - Our Mission. Our Mission will be to stick together as a group. There is always strength in numbers. As we see newly banded people losing more in a month or six weeks than we have lost in 6 months to a year, we will join together and remind each other of how well we're doing. We'll chant the LBTSL ( that LapBand Talk Slow Loser) mantra of "It's not a race, it's not a race" over and over again.

Will you join me? Will you, a slow loser, a turtle in the weight loss race, make your voice heard amongst all these rabbits? Mostly will you let me know that I am not alone out here in bandland?

Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

I am still plugging along staying the same. I haven't lost anything since I got my fill which was a month ago. My next fill was moved to 4-9, because the dr decided to take spring break off from work.

I haven't gained anything so I am happy about that, but it's a struggle.

I was sick and couldn't exercise but I am going back to exercising so maybe that will help me drop one or two pounds.

I haven't had a fill in over 2 years. I had one unfill june before last. I've lost 30 of my 80 lbs since that last unfill. I stick for a few months, and then drop 5, 10, or 15 lbs, and then stick for a while. It's frustrating as hell, but not near so much as before I realized there was a pattern... Some days I can only get liquids down if I sip all day, so another fill is really out of the question, so I've just been doing the best I can with what I've got. Some of the times that I've dropped weight have been from me buckling down and trying different things (counting calories, carbs, whatever), other times the weather (or something) makes me super tight and I lose some from that, other times, I'm not even sure what I did.

For me, the band keeps me from gaining weight when I'm not losing it, and really that's enough for me. Anyone can lose weight, it's a matter of continuing the diet plan long enough, or not gaining it back when you are done, so having the band to keep me from gaining lets me pick up where I left off...

Thanks. I know what you mean. My Doc is gone, too. I am going to another office and Doc for a fill this week. I am going to have to pay for this out of network and cash. I had sorgery in sept, fill in late nov, and not seen since. They could not get me in until April. I called new Doc and am getting fill Tuesday. I am hopeful this will make a change in loss. This new nurse said I should be down at least 20 more by now. I felt like my other Doc Office was uncaring.Keep me in your prayers. I do not want to get more depressed about this.

I just wanna say thank you to all of the people in the group for all the support.I'm also a slow loser. I think some of us are losing slower than we like because of alot of different factors.(not doing anything physical,eating wrong foods,eating to much too often,age related issues,medicines etc)Yet we haven't given up the challenge to become healthier. I had to be honest with myself and admit I was not following band rules the way I should so thus no weight loss.Once I admitted this fact and started to do the right things I am still losing so much slooooooower than my friend who follows no rules.I was depressed until I realized thru reading post that I am not alone in feelings of depression, jealously,and doubts about decision especially when the Hair loss started.BUT thanks to you all I am hanging in there still trying to win the war even if I lose a few battles.So I say ""TURTLE POWER ROCKS"" lol we are all gonna win against the evil of over eating and being unhealthy.

I think it would be interesting to see if the slow loser group actually have a medical reason why we are not doing as well as other lab banders. We beat our selves up but it may be other issues!

Only 11 pds since September, nothing in past two months. Did not gain anything back. Thank you, !!! Went to new doctor today. Nice and nurse was great. Dr. Lopez. I am now 3ccs. Said no Protein Shakes. Said to eat a "beach bar" or a snicker bar. YEAH!!! I would of been very depressed if I had not went to the doctor this week. Old doc could not get me in until April. I am hopeful I will improve.