Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2009 Mile Challenge

19 miles ran this week. Moved my daughter to college and my son to another college so run time was cut down. Total for the month is 55 miles. :-)) Five more to goal for the month. Will surpass goal!!!!

Awesome, Sparkles! I haven't been able to run since I was a child--I loved running then and was faster than the boys in our neighborhood, too! My big dream is to be able to run as an adult someday--now that really will be a miracle! With running 19 miles this week and only 5 left to go, you really will surpass your goal! Way to go!:rolleyes:

This is a little silly, but kind of a fun little thing I'm doing with the miles I walk. I have turned my actual miles into virtual miles. I created a walking route from my house in Portland Or to my sisters house in Oakman, Al. I found a free program called GMap-pedometer.com that lets me record my walking route. I put it on Facebook for my sister to see too. The distance is 2475 miles. It will take me 2 years to get there. I've encouraged my sister to start walking to meet me 1/2 way. :)

Here is the link if you want to take a peek. On the left hand side of the screen you will see a plus and minus sign. Hit the minus sign about three times and it will zoom out on the map so you can see a better picture of where I started and am currently.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3127766

Like I say, a little silly, but still kind of fun!

Jenai

Edited by Jenai

This is a little silly, but kind of a fun little thing I'm doing with the miles I walk. I have turned my actual miles into virtual miles. I created a walking route from my house in Portland Or to my sisters house in Oakman, Al. I found a free program called GMap-pedometer.com that lets me record my walking route. I put it on Facebook for my sister to see too. The distance is 2475 miles. It will take me 2 years to get there. I've encouraged my sister to start walking to meet me 1/2 way. :rolleyes:

Here is the link if you want to take a peek. On the left hand side of the screen you will see a plus and minus sign. Hit the minus sign about three times and it will zoom out on the map so you can see a better picture of where I started and am currently.

Gmaps Pedometer

Like I say, a little silly, but still kind of fun!

Jenai

I don't know about silly, but I think it is certainly fun! :) I tried to start my own virtual miles actually. I had trouble using the program and never could get it to work. I think I'm going to "ride" my bike to New York City (I live in Colorado)! I'll try again at gmap-pedometer.com tonight to see if I can get it to work for me. Any hints? Now, though, it's time to get ready for work. Thanks for sharing this fun idea! The internet is so cool. Willow

Thanks for the encouragement 2911! :) It really does help. Today, I biked my regular 6 miles and then kept going for another 6 miles--I didn't know I even had it in me to bike that long! Now, I just have 6 miles to catch up before August is over. We can do it! :tongue2:

WAY TO GO WILLOWCAT!!!!!:)

i'm almost done with my august challenge... only a few more miles to go. Next month i'm going to really have to kick up the challenge, but this was a good one to start on. keep up the good work everyone.

I don't know about silly, but I think it is certainly fun! :thumbdown: I tried to start my own virtual miles actually. I had trouble using the program and never could get it to work. I think I'm going to "ride" my bike to New York City (I live in Colorado)! I'll try again at gmap-pedometer.com tonight to see if I can get it to work for me. Any hints? Now, though, it's time to get ready for work. Thanks for sharing this fun idea! The internet is so cool. Willow

Let me know how the program works out for you or if you run into any snags! I love it. It's inspiring to add my miles on my virtual trip after I do them for real.

2911, Your ticker indicates that you have just 39 lbs. to lose. Perhaps that's the reason you're struggling with slow weight loss? Everyone says the closer you get to goal, the slower the weight-loss goes.

I started my band journey with 150 lbs to lose, and yet I wasn't seeing much movement on the scale. I found a post on the Slow Losers Unite board about increasing protien (I think the thread is called, "A Few Weight Loss Tips From a Slow Loser--Now at Goal). She said that once she started adding Protein to everything she ate, that the weight just started melting away.

After reading that thread, I increased my protein like she suggested. I did start seeing the scale really begin to move after that. Don't really know why it works for me, I'm just glad it does. Also, my band is pretty tight right now and I am hardly eating much of anything. I don't think I would be a good example of a daily menu (if this continues for another week, I'll probably get my .5 cc taken out--I think I might be too tight). Good luck. I know inches lost are nice but pounds lost are somehow even nicer.

Willow, I was wondering how much protein you aim for each day?

Jenai

Willowcat, where can I find the Slow Users Unite board? I would like to read more about the Protein.< /p>

Willowcat, where can I find the Slow Users Unite board? I would like to read more about the Protein.< /div>

Hey Sparkles, this is Jenai, I was interested in that thread too. I did a search on slow users unite and it brought it up.

Hope that helps.

Jenai

Ladies, Good morning from the UK! I am off to complete my challenge this morning and probably add some too. I'm so excited to actually have set this goal and now know I am actually going to do it. Pre band I never had a challenge in my life that I recall anyway, it's unbelivable how I have taken this on and really enjoyed it too. The fat girl gets fit and is loving it! I'm also going to 'take the plunge' this morning after gym and have a swim for the first time in 3 years. My swim suit is a little on the loose side but not enough yet to be offensive to others. So off to it I go! :blushing:

Happy moving!

Willowcat, where can I find the Slow Users Unite board? I would like to read more about the Protein.< /div>

Here's the link for that thread: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f137/few-tips-slow-loser-now-past-goal-69621/

Eventually, this thread wanders off-topic, but the original poster's information is on the first page.

Willow, I was wondering how much Protein you aim for each day?

Jenai

I don't aim for anything particular, but maybe I should, because my weight loss has hit a stand-still recently. Go figure.

Some exercise miles seem longer than others. Tonight the miles just seemed to drag on forever!

I have experimented with my Protein intake this week. I have aimed for 80 a day. I added two Protein Drinks (20 grams each). I have dropped 3 pounds this week.

Mmmm....I think there is something to this protein thing.

I'm going to keep at this to see if this loss continues. :frown:

Some exercise miles seem longer than others. Tonight the miles just seemed to drag on forever!

I have experimented with my Protein intake this week. I have aimed for 80 a day. I added two protein drinks (20 grams each). I have dropped 3 pounds this week.

Mmmm....I think there is something to this protein thing.

I'm going to keep at this to see if this loss continues. :frown:

Hmm...it might be time to set a protein-goal in addition to an exercise-goal! Congrats on the weight loss!! Thanks for posting.