Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2009 Mile Challenge

Are you only able to get liquids down? How many ccs do you have in your band?

I have 5.5 cc in my 10 cc band. I can get liquids down with ease but with food I've been experiencing quite a bit of "first bite syndrome." It's very frustrating and quite painful. Getting over the habitual/emotional part of eating is very hard. Often I want to eat "just because" and not because I'm hungry--but eating is really only for hunger times. Baby steps. You'll get there.

I have 5.5 cc in my 10 cc band. I can get liquids down with ease but with food I've been experiencing quite a bit of "first bite syndrome." It's very frustrating and quite painful. Getting over the habitual/emotional part of eating is very hard. Often I want to eat "just because" and not because I'm hungry--but eating is really only for hunger times. Baby steps. You'll get there.

I also have 5.5 ccs. I am almost there. I hope to get another .5 in the next 3 weeks. It will be difficult getting fills now. I live 45 minutes away and the facility closes at 3:00. I can't leave work until 3:30.

I did not get a chance to eat today while at work. We are busy getting ready for the first day of school. Just got home and DH is grilling pork chops.

OMG...I am sorry that I have not updated my status in some time...I have officially been out of the loop! I have kept up with my exercise and as of yesterday I have logged 42.3 miles on the elliptical! I am so glad to have this challenge to keep me "straight" and on target! I even went so far as to recommend it to some of the clients in the practice that preformed my surgery. I will keep plugging away on the elliptical and hope to get to 60 miles this month!

OMG...I am sorry that I have not updated my status in some time...I have officially been out of the loop! I have kept up with my exercise and as of yesterday I have logged 42.3 miles on the elliptical! I am so glad to have this challenge to keep me "straight" and on target! I even went so far as to recommend it to some of the clients in the practice that preformed my surgery. I will keep plugging away on the elliptical and hope to get to 60 miles this month!

You are off to a great start MrsNeener! I have no doubt you will reach your goal. You are more than half way. See you at the finish line.

Hi Willow. I can so relate to what you wrote here. About the emotional part of eating. One of the gems from my weight loss seminar in Seattle last weekend was meeting an author and finding a really great book that deals with the emotional journey of eating. This lady is a psychologist. She wrote a book called "Eat it up", which is available at Amazon.com for $11.50. I am finding it very helpful.

Did you decide to live with that extra .5 fill and things are settling down for you? I am going for another fill tomorrow. I am anticipating bringing my 4cc up to 5cc.

Hi group, sounds like everyone is doing fantastic. I have been very busy and haven't logged on to lapband talk at all this week, I have been keeping up with my miles but I find that with my full time, part time and a couple buddies that my nutritionist has me buddied up with to help them create healthier habits I have been swamped and drained... but in a good way.

I have decided to take a hiatus from lapband talk for a while to concentrate on the above mentioned projects but want to thank the thread starter for lighting a fire under my (well you know) and challenging me to not just making goals but sticking with them.

I wish you all the best of luck!!!!

Julie

Hi group, sounds like everyone is doing fantastic. I have been very busy and haven't logged on to lapband talk at all this week, I have been keeping up with my miles but I find that with my full time, part time and a couple buddies that my nutritionist has me buddied up with to help them create healthier habits I have been swamped and drained... but in a good way.

I have decided to take a hiatus from lapband talk for a while to concentrate on the above mentioned projects but want to thank the thread starter for lighting a fire under my (well you know) and challenging me to not just making goals but sticking with them.

I wish you all the best of luck!!!!

Julie

JuJuVee we will miss you, but we wish you well. The challenge will continue so we hope to have you join us again.

Edited by 2911plans

Lots has gone on this week...Our first time ever High School started this Thursday...wow after over 35 years our community finally has a High School. Was on the Ribbon Cutting Committee so last minute details kept me running. And drum roll right after ceremony I had to get to my building to welcome my kindergarteners for their first day... I didn't realize it but walking fast wasn't doing it and I actually jogged to the car parked quite a bit away to beat the crowd leaving. As I was getting my breathe back and driving to my building - I almost fainted when I realized I jogged! I also went over 100 lbs lost this week! Exciting.

This weeks totals were not as newsworthy but considering my week I'll take it and do better next week.

7.3 miles walked

7.25 miles biked it rained this morning so resorted to bike.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Deb

Hi everyone, I just found this thread and I know it is very late in the month but I would love to join the "challenge". I think it will be a big help if I have someone besides myself to be accountable to. If you will allow me to be part of the group I will set my goal at 15 milesfor the time left in August and then when September kicks off I can increase it. I really wish I would have found this sooner. I was banded on July 1, 2009 and my exercise pattern isnt so good...just spurts here and there so this would really be a big help to me. BTW, everyone is doing a wonderful job...I had to look at July also and you people are really moving your butts!

Hi everyone, I just found this thread and I know it is very late in the month but I would love to join the "challenge". I think it will be a big help if I have someone besides myself to be accountable to. If you will allow me to be part of the group I will set my goal at 15 milesfor the time left in August and then when September kicks off I can increase it. I really wish I would have found this sooner. I was banded on July 1, 2009 and my exercise pattern isnt so good...just spurts here and there so this would really be a big help to me. BTW, everyone is doing a wonderful job...I had to look at July also and you people are really moving your butts!

Welcome to the challenge Melinda. We are happy to have you join our group. I'm impressed with you already. I would have waited for the next month to start up, you however jumped right in and set a goal. WAY TO GO !!!

Lots has gone on this week...Our first time ever High School started this Thursday...wow after over 35 years our community finally has a High School. Was on the Ribbon Cutting Committee so last minute details kept me running. And drum roll right after ceremony I had to get to my building to welcome my kindergarteners for their first day... I didn't realize it but walking fast wasn't doing it and I actually jogged to the car parked quite a bit away to beat the crowd leaving. As I was getting my breathe back and driving to my building - I almost fainted when I realized I jogged! I also went over 100 lbs lost this week! Exciting.

This weeks totals were not as newsworthy but considering my week I'll take it and do better next week.

7.3 miles walked

7.25 miles biked it rained this morning so resorted to bike.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Deb

CONGRATULATIONS Deb! :o

Week 3:

Biked this week: 38.3 (3.7 below goal--first week of school kicked my you-know-what--will have to make it up this week somehow)

Week 3

8.25 miles

41.8 miles biked

18.2 miles to go

First week back for teachers. I spent over 11.5 hours at work each day. 7:00am to 6:30pm. Students come back on Monday. I WILL get the remaining miles in.

19 miles on the elliptical this week;

60 miles so far this month;

40 miles to go over the next 9 days

Had a fill yesterday. I am now at 5.5 cc.

Been on liquids for 2 days.

Feeling well.

Edited by Jenai

I wanted to share a non scale victory (NSV) with you all. I fell and broke my arm in December 2007. It was a substantial break. It was a complex fracture in several pieces, a spiral fracture. I fell on concrete and tried to catch myself which actually put more speed and pressure on the fall as I landed. It was a multifragmentary fracture that involved surgery with rod and pins. I spent the next 1.5 years trying to get the arm back to full range of motion. It was close but still not 100%.

A few weeks after starting the exercise challenge, my arm started hurting. I was wondering one night why my arm hurt and was trying to think what I could have been doing recently to make it hurt. At first, I could not think of anything. Then a big "duh" crossed my lips. The elliptical. I am spending 7 hours per week on the elliptical with the arms that move back and forth through an extended range of motion. Awesome!

Well I realized this week that I can fully extend my arm straight up now. (I had some shoulder impingement due to the rod insertion). I have 100% range of motion back. I cannot tell you how happy I am with this. I am so thankful. It had really bothered me when I finished up physical therapy a few months ago and had to accept that I had what we thought was the maximum level of improvement I was going to be able to achieve.

I am very grateful.

Jenai