Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2009 Mile Challenge

OMG Willowcat! Nearly 50 miles in one week! You ROCK!

Thanks, but in all fairness, after I thought about it, I had included Saturday's miles in too--so 8 days instead of 7--I guess I should actually have posted 43.3 miles done (still 1.3 miles over goal for the week).

Wow, everyone's first week was great! Had a great weekend at the lake....One morning I did get 1 mile in...believe it or not it was all uphill....from the cabin to the campsite. I was active all weekend though....Was in the lake over 5 hours Saturday and 4 hours Sunday....The whole time I kept my feet kicking, peddling, and frog swimming. It wasn't enough to cause me to breathe harder....(my body sign that I was not raising my heart rate into the fat burning mode) but I know it helped with toning because arms and legs a bit sore.

Tomorrow I'm on Clear liquids for a prep for a procedure I'm having Tuesday. I what to remind all of you to do those lovely screening procedures at 50 like the colonoscopy because it does find problems before they are life threatening....Mine showed a PRE cancerous spot which will be removed Tuesday....dr said it was small and very treatable.....My lapband dr is also doing this.... I am so relieved that I did the screening and can have this taken care of before it got out of control. I'm going to walk in the morning put then I will probably have to lay off for acouple of days...I will listen to the doctor! He hasn't lead me wrong so far!

Anyway, I knew when I joined this group You would help motivate me and I was RIGHT! My Early Bird Girls keep the pavement hot the next couple of days and walk a few steps for me...I'll make it up toward the end of the week!

Keep Moving! Deb

WOW! Awesome progress everyone! I am setting my goal of 50 miles for the month I am at 10 miles :unsure: I better get moving! My goodness you guys are doing great! I will check in more:thumbup:

My ticker keeps saying, 'invalid file' what am I doing wrong?

Help please I want to see the progress as well as join in :w00t:

ellea, Here's a link to a tutorial (with pictures) to help guide you through every step--I know I needed to look at it when I made my ticker. Glad you're on board! :w00t:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/ticker-tutorial-pictures-41782/

Yes, Jenai, 5cc seems to be a pretty good spot for me. I have an appointment for a fill on Monday. I can't decide if I need one or not. I don't want to be too tight, but I also don't want to go through "Bandster Hell" again--that was awful! Maybe a little fill like .5 cc just to keep the edge off until my next fill? I'll see what my doctor thinks. Sorry to hear about you having to return to the hospital, but glad that everything worked out for you. Good luck with 5ccs!:blink:

Hi Willow. Did you end up getting a fill on Monday or stay with the 5cc?

Thank you Willow, you're a star !

Gggggggggrrrrrrrr, will not work for me and I could have bee walking instead. Never mind but thank you anyway. I'll keep trying

Hi Willow. Did you end up getting a fill on Monday or stay with the 5cc?

Yes, I decided to get .5cc--my doctor said that would be fine. I'm tighter than I've ever been (maybe like right after surgery?). It's ok--I just have to be a lot more careful to take smaller bites and to eat slowly. If I don't do either, then I'm really sorry--ouch! My husband and I always go out for dinner the night before I have to go back to work. Last night we went to an Indian restaurant (my favorite!). I had a wonderful dinner! I just had to follow the eating rules. I left the restaurant feeling "just right." I'm happy with my extra .5cc.

I what to remind all of you to do those lovely screening procedures at 50 like the colonoscopy because it does find problems before they are life threatening....Mine showed a PRE cancerous spot which will be removed Tuesday....dr said it was small and very treatable.....My lapband dr is also doing this.... I am so relieved that I did the screening and can have this taken care of before it got out of control. I'm going to walk in the morning put then I will probably have to lay off for acouple of days...I will listen to the doctor! He hasn't lead me wrong so far!

Anyway, I knew when I joined this group You would help motivate me and I was RIGHT! My Early Bird Girls keep the pavement hot the next couple of days and walk a few steps for me...I'll make it up toward the end of the week!

Keep Moving! Deb

Hey Deb, How are you feeling? Did your surgery go ok? Are you up and about now? You're so right about the screenings being important--I'm glad your pre-cancerous spots were caught early. I've been keeping the bike seat warm (exercise bike) and biked a few extra pedals for you. Looking forward to you rejoining us Early Bird Girls! :)

Jenai I also have a 10 cc Lapband. I've had 3 fills for a total of 4.5ccs. I do not have any restriction. My next appointment is Tuesday 8/11/09. I hope this fill helps me feel satisfied with just a few bites. I started off being satisfied with a few bites for a month after surgery. My surgeon had given me 2 ccs during the procedure. The restriction wore off and I have not had it since. It will be easier once I return to work. I was grazing a bit and eating the wrong foods. Once I return to work, my Breakfast will be a Protein shake and Soup for lunch.

Willowcat thanks for posting that quote. I just got in from a workshop and thought I would skip my workout today. Thanks to you I am going to put my miles in today.

2911Plans: How are you doing after your fill yesterday?

Hope your feeling okay with it and feeling some restriction now.

This last fill for me was a big hello to restriction. I have struggled eating this last week. I'm fine when I eat very mininally. It's been a challenge to eat enough to support my 5 miles per day on the elliptical. It is getting better though. I have to carefully plan my 20 Protein grams per meal as I can not eat very much so I really need to make the little amount go far in the protein grams.

Tonight at church a lady noticed my weight loss and asked me if I had been losing weight. She was the first person not close to me that has noticed and asked. Husband,sisters and best friends don't count! It was kind of nice.

jenai

Edited by Jenai

Yes, I decided to get .5cc--my doctor said that would be fine. I'm tighter than I've ever been (maybe like right after surgery?). It's ok--I just have to be a lot more careful to take smaller bites and to eat slowly. If I don't do either, then I'm really sorry--ouch! My husband and I always go out for dinner the night before I have to go back to work. Last night we went to an Indian restaurant (my favorite!). I had a wonderful dinner! I just had to follow the eating rules. I left the restaurant feeling "just right." I'm happy with my extra .5cc.

Willowcat, I know exactly what you're talking about ...my last fill made me realize how sloppy I had gotten with the rules...before my fill I was pretty much open...(I was afraid I was losing Fluid in my system...dr. said no I was losing fat under the band ...Yea) But I'm still having to concentrate and pay attention to how I am eating! It's going much better now!

Thanks for asking how I went through the procedure....it was alittle rougher than my 1st one...stayed acouple of hours longer because of pain ... they had to make sure everything was okay....It was ..... can't believe how much pain GAS can cause ... I did have more extensive work done than originally thought but next Tuesday I go for followup and biopsy report... I'm confident in dr.'s skills so not to worried....and guess what...this 55 year old can go back and tell her very young (team,teachers that I got tattooed this summer!) Dr. tattooed beginning and ending area that he worked on....I made him laugh when I asked if I got to pick out the design...butterfly, heart with DH initials or something cool! You have to have some humor even with serious subject matter.

Feeling better but took it easy today. Tomorrow leaving for long weekend to Chicago before I start back to school Monday. Hotel does have exercise room and pool so I'll join the Early Bird gals Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. Hope to get some exercise in tomorrow night when we get there.

Anyway thanks for those few extra peddles for me. I'll do the same for you anytime. Hope to pick up the slack tomorrow... Looking to meet my goal this month.

Deb

OOPS, Jenai it was your comment I was responding to about remembering to eat following the lapband rules especially after a fill. After a fill did all of you have to stay on liquids for the next day and then soft the next before returning to normal diet?

Deb

Yesterday was officially my first day back to school--meetings and such. The children start on Monday. I'm really proud of myself for having taken care of myself these past few weeks, so that I can continue taking care of myself while back at work. It was really nice to be able to get up early enough to exercise, eat Breakfast, shower, get ready, AND get to work on time! Exercising first thing in the morning is surprisingly energizing for me. Who would have thought?! Work or no work (I tend to be a workaholic), I can still take care of this body I've been given. I love having this challenge, because I feel like not only am I exercising "for me" (a rather nebulous goal), but am also accountable to the challenge (a more quantitative goal).