Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An update on me since being banded 7/08/09!

I am actually surprised I didn't post my update sooner like I said I would! I have met many great people on here, so I am sure they might be wondering how I am doing...:sad:

Well...to all those opposed to going to Mexico.. I had a WONDERFUL experience with Dr. Ortiz, the facility and staff! I couldnt have been more comfortable! The facility was immaculate! I could have eaten of the floor..

Dt. Ortiz met with me and my husband before I went into surgery and went over everything & answered any questions either one of us had. great guy! :)

I was in and out in 30 minutes..that was including prep and closing me up! Had pretty bad nausea and was past out for a couple hours. But they had me up and walking! After I 'came to" from being a little loopy I felt MUCH better than I anticipated! I spent most of my time on the phone calling family and friends (b/c we were allowed to call anywhere in the US from the room)..so i took advantage of it! Don't remember much of the conversations though...lol

I met some GREAT people! (5 others were there getting the surgery as well). I went back to the hotel the next day and did plenty of walking around with my hubby).

....so being home...GAS PAINS!!! UUGHHHH!!! horrible! I never got the pains in my shoulder, but they were SO bad in my chest and then moved into my back! my belly was very bloated and swollen! I pretty much rested and walked... my recovery was not as "speedy" as others.. i had pretty bad port pain too...ended up taking a few more days off from work...which I totally needed! Each day got a tad better... I know its a little TMI...but I never thought burping and farting would feel SOO relieving!! :mad: LOL!

Mentally..some days were better than others...but I am sure you all (who have had been on liquids know)...I thought I was gonna cry if I drank another cup of soup!! I just wanted FOOOOOD!! mashed potatoes never tasted so good! LOL I was on Clear Liquids for 1 week, full liquids weeks 2-3 and started Protein drinks week 3 too.... well today is day 22 and it will probably be a while before I actually want a cup of soup!! :biggrin: I was not filled at all at surgery and my first fill is August 12th. Just trying to be careful until then since I really dont have restriction. However, since I am still swollen inside and healing, I get pretty full off of a little bit. I have only lost 9 pds or so....but I'll take it!! I would jump for joy at a 1 pound loss when I used to be on Weight Watchers...so when I had lost 8-9 pounds in just under 3 weeks, I was happy. Plus my doc and many on here even say not to stress about the scale until after the first fill, bc thats when you feel restriction...hopefully.

So that's pretty much so far!

Erick (my hubby) has been great every step of the way!! I thank God for him everyday! :sad::wub:

Edited by Agnes

Good Job Agnes! Glad all was well with you. I was like you as well and did not want Soup for awhile. I like to eat french onion now but that is about the only kind! Congrats on your band and Good Luck!

Good Job Agnes! Glad all was well with you. I was like you as well and did not want Soup for awhile. I like to eat french onion now but that is about the only kind! Congrats on your band and Good Luck!

Thank you!! But at least now we can have more than the broth! lol

Agnes, Thanks for giving us an update.

It's wonderful to hear that you are doing well. I was wondering how it had gone for you.

Remember, you are in the "healing" period now. Don't worry about your weight or anything else. Just rest as much as you can, balanced with reasonable physical activity. Do EXACTLY what the Dr has told you to do, and you'll be just fine.

The gas pains were a very big problem for me as well, at least in my second surgery when they took the band out and did the Bypass. It was Open (not laproscopic) so a lot of air got inside me. It hurt quite a bit for over a month. But you should not have nearly the problem that I did.

Keep us posted, let us know how you are doing. We'll expect some pictures, ya know! :biggrin:

HH

I am actually surprised I didn't post my update sooner like I said I would! I have met many great people on here, so I am sure they might be wondering how I am doing...:mad:

Well...to all those opposed to going to Mexico.. I had a WONDERFUL experience with Dr. Ortiz, the facility and staff! I couldnt have been more comfortable! The facility was immaculate! I could have eaten of the floor..

Dt. Ortiz met with me and my husband before I went into surgery and went over everything & answered any questions either one of us had. great guy! :)

I was in and out in 30 minutes..that was including prep and closing me up! Had pretty bad nausea and was past out for a couple hours. But they had me up and walking! After I 'came to" from being a little loopy I felt MUCH better than I anticipated! I spent most of my time on the phone calling family and friends (b/c we were allowed to call anywhere in the US from the room)..so i took advantage of it! Don't remember much of the conversations though...lol

I met some GREAT people! (5 others were there getting the surgery as well). I went back to the hotel the next day and did plenty of walking around with my hubby).

....so being home...GAS PAINS!!! UUGHHHH!!! horrible! I never got the pains in my shoulder, but they were SO bad in my chest and then moved into my back! my belly was very bloated and swollen! I pretty much rested and walked... my recovery was not as "speedy" as others.. i had pretty bad port pain too...ended up taking a few more days off from work...which I totally needed! Each day got a tad better... I know its a little TMI...but I never thought burping and farting would feel SOO relieving!! :wub: LOL!

Mentally..some days were better than others...but I am sure you all (who have had been on liquids know)...I thought I was gonna cry if I drank another cup of soup!! I just wanted FOOOOOD!! mashed potatoes never tasted so good! LOL I was on Clear Liquids for 1 week, full liquids weeks 2-3 and started Protein drinks week 3 too.... well today is day 22 and it will probably be a while before I actually want a cup of soup!! :biggrin: I was not filled at all at surgery and my first fill is August 12th. Just trying to be careful until then since I really dont have restriction. However, since I am still swollen inside and healing, I get pretty full off of a little bit. I have only lost 9 pds or so....but I'll take it!! I would jump for joy at a 1 pound loss when I used to be on Weight Watchers...so when I had lost 8-9 pounds in just under 3 weeks, I was happy. Plus my doc and many on here even say not to stress about the scale until after the first fill, bc thats when you feel restriction...hopefully.

So that's pretty much so far!

Erick (my hubby) has been great every step of the way!! I thank God for him everyday! :sad::wub:

Congrat Agnes, I was banded 1 day after you :sad: I totally know the feeling about actually being able to eat something. I never thought in a million years that cottage cheese could taste soooo good. I also dont really have any restriction right now which makes me weigh myself everyday. I dont go in for my first fill untill the 26th of Aug. because my Dr. is on vacation. :mad2:

Anyway again great job and keep up the great work.

Hey there, I was banded the same day. I had a lot of gas pains, too. I am still feeling some discomfort as a matter of fact. I'm eating now and it's wonderful, but I do weigh myself every day. I have no restriction and get my first fill on August 20 because my doc does only every 6 weeks.

Congrat Agnes, I was banded 1 day after you :juggle: I totally know the feeling about actually being able to eat something. I never thought in a million years that cottage cheese could taste soooo good. I also dont really have any restriction right now which makes me weigh myself everyday. I dont go in for my first fill untill the 26th of Aug. because my Dr. is on vacation. :lol:

Anyway again great job and keep up the great work.

Congrats!!! Well it looks like you are doing AWESOME so far!!!!

Hey there, I was banded the same day. I had a lot of gas pains, too. I am still feeling some discomfort as a matter of fact. I'm eating now and it's wonderful, but I do weigh myself every day. I have no restriction and get my first fill on August 20 because my doc does only every 6 weeks.

ugghhh dont this gas pains just suck!?!

Yeah, i def way myself everyday to keep on point! I have only lost 9 pounds so far (didnt have a preop diet) but that last thing I want is those 9 pounds back by my first fill!! lol

Thank You!!! I am currently about 5lbs from my first mini goal. It will be a weight that I have not been in almost 14 years. Getting pretty excited about it.

I was banded on July 24, 2009 and I had a pre-op diet (lost 10lbs) and then after surgery on the clear liquids i have been losing 2-3lbs a day (lost 20lbs so far) Is this normal?

weight.png

I was banded on July 24, 2009 and I had a pre-op diet (lost 10lbs) and then after surgery on the clear liquids i have been losing 2-3lbs a day (lost 20lbs so far) Is this normal?

weight.png

I had to do a 2 week pre op liquid diet, then 2 week post op liquid diet, and since June 22nd, which is right about the time I started the pre op diet I had lost 40lbs. So I am not sure if it is normal, but it sure felt good. since I started on mushies and regular food I am only down about another 6lbs.

I had to do a 2 week pre op liquid diet, then 2 week post op liquid diet, and since June 22nd, which is right about the time I started the pre op diet I had lost 40lbs. So I am not sure if it is normal, but it sure felt good. since I started on mushies and regular food I am only down about another 6lbs.

:laugh: Oh, wow, yeah it does feel good and I hope I can say I have lost 40lbs once my liduid diet is over. It does worry me about starting the mushy stage, but it is good to know you are still losing and not gaining. Take care.....

weight.png

2-3 a day!!! wow!!! thats awesome!!!