Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st Meeting w/PCP Today....HORRIBLE!!!

So, I haven't had a regular PCP in years and in getting all my ducks in a row for getting banded, I figured it was time. I went through the referral service with the hospital my other docs are through and got one. I saw her today for the first time and I WILL NOT be going back! There are SEVERAL reasons I won't go back to her, but, one thing was that she wanted me to do a sleep study, stress test and a lung capacuty test before she'd do the paperwork to send to the weight loss institute! WHAT!? Has anyone else had to do this?? I don't mind doing the tests, I probably should have them done, but, to hold my paperwork hostage? Not to mention that I'm trying to get my Urologist to push my insurance company to let me have the surgery done now and not have to wait 4 months, but, this will delay things! I'm so mad! GGGRRR!!!!

If your insurance company has a 4 month wait period - I doubt there is anything your Urologist is going to tell them to move that process along. From an insurance company's point of view - the more they drag it out, the hope is that most of the folks drop and therefore save them money.

About the testing- is it possible these items are required by the WL institute? I know I had to the sleep and stress testing. It might also lead to things that would help the case with the insurance company.

This is a major change in your life. Four months will really seem like nothing 6 months post op as you learning to re-eat/ change habits etc.

Hello Irish! Sounds like you're having a bad time. I'm wondering what facility in St. Louis you've been looking into. From what I've read on this board, there are many places in the area and I've not really seen many complaints. You can PM me if you'd like. I'd be glad to tell you places I've checked out. I'm really picky since I'm self-pay. Sure hope things get better for you!

TPG

So, I haven't had a regular PCP in years and in getting all my ducks in a row for getting banded, I figured it was time. I went through the referral service with the hospital my other docs are through and got one. I saw her today for the first time and I WILL NOT be going back! There are SEVERAL reasons I won't go back to her, but, one thing was that she wanted me to do a sleep study, stress test and a lung capacuty test before she'd do the paperwork to send to the weight loss institute! WHAT!? Has anyone else had to do this?? I don't mind doing the tests, I probably should have them done, but, to hold my paperwork hostage? Not to mention that I'm trying to get my Urologist to push my insurance company to let me have the surgery done now and not have to wait 4 months, but, this will delay things! I'm so mad! GGGRRR!!!!

I think most of us had to do some pre-op testing. The tests you are talking about seem kind of standard. My PCP did not order my tests, though. She referred me to a surgeon and then he decided (taking into consideration my insurance policy requirements, my age,and my medical history) what pre-op tests were appropriate for me. Good luck to you. For some of us the process from consult to surgery takes longer than we would like--you just have to take it one step at a time.

every single one of these tests you mentioned are standard prerequisites for both surgeons and insurance companies. 2 thoughts come to mind:

1- you will have to have them anyway, so why not let your pcp order them... most insurance co's will include any medicaly supervised time towards your 4 months...so start it with your pcp, the documantation will be there to forward to surgeon/insurance.

2- it seems your pcp has knowledge of the band since she is bang on with what tests to order to make sure you qualify, and are medicaly cleared, before going to the next step. That is still rare...most pcp's don't really know enough about the band. i'd say that is a plus.

Good luck to you, but my personal opinion/advice only of course, i'd give a 2nd thought to your pcp.

I think the only way you can get around running a lot of tests is to self-pay. My option was fall into depression because the pain was becoming too great, while I sit around and wait for a few months worth of tests to be run on the hiatal hernia I've already been diagnosed with.

No thanks. I am very lucky because my mom has paid for the surgery in full.

Good luck to you in whatever route you choose.

I think the only way you can get around running a lot of tests is to self-pay. My option was fall into depression because the pain was becoming too great, while I sit around and wait for a few months worth of tests to be run on the hiatal hernia I've already been diagnosed with.

No thanks. I am very lucky because my mom has paid for the surgery in full.

Good luck to you in whatever route you choose.

I am not sure I would want a doctor who would forgo pre-op testing simply based on the fact that a patient is self-pay. They are logical, health-related tests aimed at giving the patient the best outcome. My surgeon actually had MORE pre-op requirements than my insurance company. As a result of how thorough he has been about not only the medical testing but about patient education I feel good about putting my health in his hands.

When you first get hit with all the tests most of us were like..."Are you kidding?!?" ,but with more thought it all makes sence for the best health outcome from such invasive surgury. You may feel a bit put off by her gang busters approach but it was all the tests they told me about at my DR's orientation. I have to 2nd katwmn63 thought that maybe she is more in touch than you feel-think. Hope you find the peace you need to get started.

.....On the note of self over insurance pay...my DR insisted on the same tests regardless...for safe outcome.

I guess I need to clarify.

I have been evaluated for this surgery since 2007, once a year, being told over and over my plan excludes it.

I had the GERD, nausea & other fun stuff since 2006. Have slept sitting up since then. Treid a special diet in 2007 and lost my gallbladder, THANK YOU. Next month my foot broke-from overuse? Yes, from walking in the store and to and from class? Again, I approached about the surgery, no good. Insurance won't cover it and I couldn't get a loan.

DIagnosed with plantar fasciitis and 2 heel spurs, now wearing special inserts.

I did not have the procedure done that found my hiatal hernia until Feb 2009. Fed up, I started walking four times a week. My back started aching.

I had a full work up of tests run... somewhere in the vicinity of ten. I had a back X-ray. I'm so darn NORMAL when the tests come back...

Two months into the workout I was having back spasms every few weeks and the pain in my back and feet were a constant. I quit working out and pulled out the number for the surgery center once again.

I called all the hospitals and nearby surgeons and got quotes. My insurance said no, the hospital said ask about the hiatal hernia. Now there was some small hope, but I could already feel depression creeping back into my life. I was already having quick dreams about bad things happening to people I love (that's how mine started before).

My mom said she would pay and I jumped on it. The surgeon said they could send my results in but that I may have to do a study. i was so unhappy, my mom just told him that she would pay.

I went to the eval, but I didn't need to have extra tests run because I had them in February, May and June.

This woman hadn't seen a PCP in years, I see mine almost monthly. That's the difference.

You know what I think you should do?

Visit the section about Pre-op testing. there are answers there about why or if you may beed a certain test.

I think you should let the Dr. dictate the course of action here.

As other posters have noted, this Dr seems to be aware of what is needed.

It has also been correctly noted that these are tests you will most likely need to have anyway. And, if you have not seen a Dr on regular basis for a number of years, I would think that you might want to let them run whatever tests they want, if only to determine your true state of health.

People seem to get really annoyed at the tests and the pre-op diets and everything they make you go through. But they are doing it for a REASON. You WANT them to have as much information about you as possible so that they can make the right decisions.

And even if it takes several months,....well, that's what it takes. You didn't become overweight overnight, you shouldn't expect to have the problem solved overnight, either.

Just relax, and go through the process. It SOUNDS like the Doctor is being conscientious and has your best interests in midn. And That is what you really want.

HH

Hmmm....I was 53 and weighed 405 and didn't need any of those tests. I was questioned extensively by my surgeon, and I did have OTHER tests that needed to be done. I had an ecg, an abdominal ultrasound, blood, chest x-ray, barium swallow....but not the three the OP mentioned. Since I had no symptoms of sleep apnea, no indication of heart trouble (blood and ecg would tell the tale there) and no need for comorbidities, I didn't need them.

I guess it would depend on 1. if OP's insurance requires a PCP referral (mine didn't, not all do) 2. If OP feels she may have any of these issues and 3. If OP's insurance and/or surgeon requires those tests. They aren't necessary for safe surgery, actually.