Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question on loose skin with lap band

I was wondering if people who have lost a lot of weight (75+) with the lap band experienced the loose or hanging skin that people talk about with bypass surgery. They say you loose weight slowly with the band and its LESS LIKELY to have hanging skin. I need to loose about 140 lbs total and was worried. I'm 41 (almost 42) and this is a concern. I've lost almost 40 pounds in 2 months, I exercise and include toning on areas like my arms, abs and thighs. Can some of you share your experiences? Thanks a bunch

My arms, tummy and thighs are/were pretty saggy, bad enough that I will only wear clothes that cover these areas.

But they were much worse a few months ago, so exercise and time does make a difference. I drink plenty of fluids, slather on the lotion a couple times a day and double up on exercising my trouble spots.

In January I would look at myself in the mirror and want to cry. I was desperately trying to figure out how I will manage the time and money to get plastic surgery.

But I have really seen a huge improvement since then and when I go to the beach in August, I can actually see myself wearing a bathing suit (a one piece, mind you). I haven't worn a bathing suit since I was a kid. I think that with a little more time and exercise I can be quite comfortable in my new body. Although I would look better proportioned if I had breast reduction which I just might do one day.

That was one of my concerns too. I have about 140 to lose but will be ecstatic when I lose 100. My biggest concern is my tummy.

I have done a lot of research on this. I am currently taking a Biotin and a coq10 supplement. I also use the Nivea Q10 tightening cream. I haven't lost a lot of weight yet, just 24 pounds, but I don't feel my skin as being loose like I have with other weight losses.

My regular physician does laser skin tightening so I'm hoping that if I do have some loose skin that might be all I'll need. It's pretty cool. No down time at all, go to work right afterward. Not as costly by any stretch - my doc charges $2400 for 5 sessions or $600 for one. So while it's not cheap it's a lot less than a Tummy Tuck.< /p>

Thanks you two for the advice. I'm already looking for specific exercises to take care of my arms. Its pretty bad when your mom asks what I'm going to do about them. I've only lost 35 (was 38 but gained 3 back this week) and already the loose skin is starting. Dhall111 you think that cream really works? I'm willing to try it.

there are alot of factors that will determine how saggy you are going to be....

1. how fast you lose

2. how much you have to lose

3. if you tone properly and excerise

4. if you had a baby

5. your age

6. and how you eat

i have lost 100 lbs and my arms and legs look great but i can tell you my mid section stomach and boobs are saggy.. i know that this is because of me having two kids and being so overweight. i know i can lose all the weight i want but it will not help my stomach or my boobs. my boobs finally do look portioned now but i can see the wrinkles in them and they do sag more then i want. my stomach is where i carried all my weight so i knew i would need a Tummy Tuck after i lose all my weight which came out to be true. i can tell you i have had a personal trainer since i pretty much got banded and worked my ass off in the gym 5 or 6 days a week. and my arms and legs came out pretty toned. i see her 3 times a week and we work on core and muscle tone and i do my cardio on my own. in my opinion with you losing 140 lbs and at your age i do believe you will have sag. im not trying to be mean or anything so please dont take it the wrong way. its mainly going to be where you carry all your weight. doing toning excerise and cardio and also eating correct will greatly improve it which it wont be as bad as you would have if you didnt do anything.

good luck on your journey and i wish you the best....

I'm 'loose" rather than really saggy or hanging. I got out of it pretty darn lightly but I have enough jiggle to make me sigh a bit when I look in the mirror. It makes me a bit sad that I will never have my dream body.

But I dont *need* surgery, and nothign hangs or waves in the wind, apart from my boobs, those will get done at some stage.

I lost 100lb but I'm 5ft 10 tall and carried it very evenly. I never had a particular "problem area" I just got big all over. I think if you're apple shaped and had a big stomach, you can pretty much start saving for the Tummy Tuck. And, if it hangs before you loose weight, it will hang after.

Thanks you two for the advice. I'm already looking for specific exercises to take care of my arms. Its pretty bad when your mom asks what I'm going to do about them. I've only lost 35 (was 38 but gained 3 back this week) and already the loose skin is starting. Dhall111 you think that cream really works? I'm willing to try it.

Won't know if it really works or not until I'm at my goal weight. But I figure it's not hurting anything to use it.

Everyones skin reacts differently. Personally, I have lost 131 pounds and I recently had PS. I had a lower body lift and breast lift with augmentation. Following the birth of my first child, my tummy fell to the ground...some people have great elasticity while others (like me) do not.

Best of luck to you!

I've lost 63 lbs so far and things are loose. I exercise on a regular schedule and work the problem areas, but my tummy is drooping. But then I've had a hysterictomy and my scar is from my belly button down, so my tummy muscles are a bit weakened. I've also had 3 kids, years ago, so life and children have taken their toll.

I've been contemplating PS once my weight loss levels, but right now there is nothing I can't live with.