Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will it be different after my first fill?

I weigh 380 pounds. I lost fifty pounds before my surgery and the six weeks after it, so when it came time for my first fill, the surgeon said that I should come back in a month and he would probably give me my first fill then. That was yesterday. I could not lie down flat on the table for more than a minute because I felt smothered. I always sleep in a lounge chair.

Then they tried to do it as I stood up, but could not quite align it with the port. The doctor said that he would consult with my surgeon and try to figure out how this fill could be accomplished.

Does anyone have any idea on how this could be helped? I MUST be able to get fills, as I have very, very little restriction and have regained ten pounds. I am back to dieting.

So far, people have told me to get propped up a bit with pillows, and to get something with which to sedate me.

That table is so very high to climb onto. I can't believe the disappointment.

Kara- please, please demand they figure out a way for you to get your fills without this emotional trauma. I would think that your surgeon could have/would have figured out the best placement for your port given your size. If he didn't it may be worth a port revision. I don't see why they cannot get you into a more comfortable postion so as to prevent this horror when you go in for your much needed fill.

Don't take no for an answer darlin.:smile: Keep us posted.

good luck to you

-kat

Hi April...

I was banded June 16th, 2009 and I'm having my first fill Wednesday. I'm glad you posted this question as I have had the same thoughts running through my head. Right now I feel like I can eat anything for which I'm happy about that I at least for now don't have any problems digesting food. I have lost 20 lbs since the surgery so I must be doing something right. (?) I am a bit nervous however after reading through some of these posts that after the fill I won't feel restricted. I think I can eat between 6 - 8 oz of food at meals. This has me a bit concerned but at least I'm still losing weight. The PA told me not to expect any more weight loss when I saw her 3 weeks ago and yet I lost 7 lbs since then. I'm really nervous and anxious about the fill too. Hope yours goes well.

~ Lynn :wink2:

Edited by StarsZie

DISSAPOINTMENT! That's how I'm feeling too. I am weeks 4 post op. Had my first fill a week ago. Only .4 cc's since it was so early. I already had 2.6 cc's in the band from the surgery. Since that first fill, I go from feeling hungry all the time, overeating, undereating, stomach aches, headaches, nausea, Constipation and now lately, gas.

I'm very depressed and questioning my decision to have the lap band. Especially since I paid for it...

Suzette- I am thinking like you but lets hang in there until we get real restriction. I am only down about 20 pounds and at a stand still PLUS....this weekend, I have developed some serious lower bowel gas pain. Yesterday I was convinced I slipped my band....maybe I did is what I am thinking today but I hope not. My stomach doesnt hurt but I was bloated and had so much lower bowel gas that it hurt to touch my abdomen or even drive over bumps :wink2: I broke out a heating pad, took a hot bath and I have been doing mushies today/soup. It is starting to settle down....I kept thinking, what have I done to myself? BUT, in my heart...I just know, when TRUE restriction presents and this cramping subsides....I will be truly happy I did this! I am going for my second fill tomorrow BTW (bearing that my tummy aches subside ).

Good luck......

Jill

Suzette...I am five weeks post op btw and this was the worst I felt yet AND I have been either starving OR able to eat too much and have pain :wink2: NO PB, no throwing up, no stuck...it all goes right on down.

Ladies~ I was banded on June 26th and I am in the same boat as all of you. No restriction what-so-ever! I mean NONE! I'm doing mushies. I'm not even going to try to eat real food bc I will probably go berserk! I've been counting my calories though. I stick around 800. Today I had 910. I just couldn't get full for some reason. Anyhow, I couldn't sleep because I'm kinda nervous about all of this now. I cannot wait for some restriction!

-Meredith

Boy can I relate to everyone here. I was banded in May and really didn't feel any restriction until TODAY after my 2nd fill. It was sthe first time that I can honestly say IT WORKS! However, I did have a bit of a scare during my dinner. I was having Cocido Soup...broth with veggies and stew meat. I have never had problems before eating meat of any source until now. Evidently I didn't chew as well as I thought and it actually got stuck and wouldn't go down. I started feeling lilke it was coming back up and barely made it to the bathroon when it did. I felt much better after that. I learned my lesson when it came to chewing and taking smaller bites. I can honestly say I now feel the restriction!

I have lost 21 pounds and 21 inches, 7 of which is off my waist...yeah! I have been deligent in getting my excercise done and making sure I eat my Protein daily. It has been hard during times when I was getting hungry and had to rely on my will power. But after todays fill, I feel confident that I finally can feel the results I thought I would get from this procedure. I know it's a slow process and will to do what's necessary for my success. I was really starting to worry there for a while if it was going to work....IT WORKS!!!

i'm feeling pretty unrestricted too but i'm holding off getting a fill. from what i was told, if i am losing 1-2 pounds a week still, i am fine. losing more than 1-2 pounds a week isn't really a realistic goal.

Yes I agree...you really don't want to loose it too fast! That's great that you are doing this without any fills or feeling any restriction. I just didn't like fighting off the hunger pangs when the restriction was gone. It really does help with that.

Hi Teri,

I go for my first fill tomorrow. Did you feel any restriction after your first fill or not until your 2nd fill? I'm nervous about what to expect too... like does it hurt? How do you feel right afterwards? Stuff like that. I have lost 20lbs since my surgery on June 16th so something is working! LOL!!! And like you... I'm nervous as to how long my will-power will hold out so I'm looking forward to some restriction. I'll let you know how it goes! :bored:

I had surgery June 5th, and had my first fill last Thursday. I had 1 cc in band, and now up to 2 cc. I feel a little more restriction, but still get hungry between meals. and I am pretty sure I can still eat just about anything, but I ty not to. My surgeon told me it will probably take a couple fills before I get to proper restriction.

I know exactly what you're thinking at this point...I felt the same way. It's really not as bad as I expected. I'm not sure where your port is, but mine is just below the middle of my breasts or sternum area and the thought of getting an injection there really freaked me out! But my doctor is very good and talks me through the whole process.

While laying on my back with my hands behind my head, he first numbs the area with a small injection (which is just a small prick) but the medication does burn a little once he injects it. To me that's the worse part of the whole ordeal. Then he has me do a crunch, I guess that helps him stablize the port and he inserts another syringe with the saline. It doesn't hurt, but you can feel the pressure of the syringe going in and feels kind of weird is all.

Once the syringe is in place he has me sit up on the table while he's holding the syringe and has me drink gulps of Water. The object is to feel the some restriction and then slowly drain into the lower pouch. The first time I did this I really didn't know what restriction felt like so it was hard for me to tell him. So...he completely filled my ring and had me try it and BOY, there is no doubt the feeling of real restriction after that! The water just sits there between your breasts and is sort of painful. I'm glad he did that so now I know what it feel like having too much.

After my first fill I did feel a little restriction the first week and really wasn't hungry between meals, but as my doctor told me, it only lasted about 1 week. After this 2nd fill I just had yesterday, he said it should last longer like 3 weeks and our goal is to get to where it's like that all the time.

I definately am not hungry so that's great. Just be sure that take small bites and really chew your food well. I thought I had been good at doing this but for the first time last night I had a piece of soft stew meat get stuck and wouldn't go down. It felt awful and drinking water didn't help at all. It finally came back up before I felt relief. I've heard this happening to people, but I never came close to ever having this before. To be honest, eating anything was just like before surgery. I've learned a big lesson and feel it's really starting to work.

Good luck on your first fill and let me know how you do. I'm interested to see if your experience is the same as mind. Keep up the good work

Take care,

Teri