Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will it be different after my first fill?

I seriously am feeling like something is wrong, I can eat anything and everything. Not that I do, but it is very hard to eat small amounts when I am so hungry after 4 hours. I had my surgery on 6/17/09 and my next visit with the doctor is in 2 weeks. After I get my first fill will I be able to eat less? I also have no problems with any foods, and I have never had a pb. All the weight I lost was during the liquid stage, not one pound since (3 weeks?) If I were to just eat the tiny portions required I would be gnawing through the side of a cow in less than 2 hours. It seriously feels like the surgery was just a dream, that it didnt really happen.

Anyone understand where I'm coming from? Will it be different?

Thanks!!

April

I had my surgery on the same day and I know where you are coming from.At this time I have no restriction.I can eat almost everything.I have lost 24lbs my 1st post op visit.But I want to know also will this all change with my 1st fill in 2 weeks?

I had my first fill tuesday...Nothing has changed for me. Looking forward to my next fill in 2 weeks, that will put about 5cc's in my band. The only thing that keeps me motivated is that I can get satisfied on just a 1/2 cup of food, but I don't just eat anything, it is mostly Protein. But my Dr. paperwork says at this point I should be getting full on 2oz's!!! There is no-way that would work for me right now, so I will stick to my fill schedule and hope at some point I get to feeling like I thought I would when I first started all of this!

I sure hope so. I'm right there with you. Got banded 6/26 was fine for the first 2 weeks. This week I am eating normally, which is everything. Nuts, corn, steak, bread. I am terrified I am going to mess up something. I go for my first fill on Monday. I am trying, but if I could do it on my own, I wouldn't have needed the band.

It will change. Be diligent about keeping your appointments for fills.

You may not be able to appreciate a change until you've had a few fills.

make sure to follow the guidelines on what you are eating post-op even if you can eat something doesnt mean you should unless its on your list...and tell yourself this...... any weight you lose, is weight that you will never see again, I'd rather just lose 2lbs and know its never coming back than 20 that will come back 10fold!!!!!!

I think it's normal to not feel any restriction atall until after your 2nd fill - at least that's what my surgeon told me. It's called "bandster hell" and it can last for a long time! The period between surgeryand your first fill - typically 6 weeks, is for healing only, and NOT for weight loss. So if you are hanging on to the loss you experienced during your first (liquid) food stages after surgery, be thankful! It WILL be different after a fill . . then you will lose more weight and it will be like you can eat anything and are hungry in 2 hours again . . .then you will get another fill and be full on 2 oz. and forget about food completely for 4-5 hours . . then you will lose more weight and gnaw through the side of a cow again . . and so on (ROFLMAO about that cow, by the way!). It's a great system when you think about it!

I got through it - and maintained a steady weight loss - bycutting out ALL starches - my only carbs were from vegies & legumes for quite a while. I also walked 8 miles a day and drank a TON of water!! It kept me from being hungry and I lost about 10-12 lbs a month - until a week before my 1st, 2nd & 3rd fills, when I would stop losing completely. It's just my pattern.

Good luck! Please report back how you feel after your fill!

My Dr told me that it usually takes 3-4 fills before feeling restriction. I felt light restriction at #3 and #4 but not good restriction until #5.

Riley,

Thanks for your words, very encouraging!

I hate to be a downer, but I had my first fill yesterday(5 cc's) and don't feel much difference. My Dr.'s office stresses 5-6 mini meals in the beginning if hunger is too much and I do feel better when I have a string cheese in the afternoon between lunch and dinner. Don't get too discouraged - we're all there. I'm hoping my second fill in two weeks helps.

Edited by lindas0809

OMG I loved and hated what I read on this thread. I am 4 wks out and about 2wks from first fill. I'm in bandster hell, officially, although still maintaining what I lost. I have been expecting to have more restriction w/ my first fill and then you guys say no, that sucks. I just pray for some reason I'm different and it's at least minor restriction b/c I can really get down an insane amount of food if I wanted to. Don't need to be doing that. I am planning on adding jogging soon so maybe that will also be the boost I need.

HI April- I was banded on 6/17 too. I had my first fill of 2 cc. At the fill he told me there was already 3cc in there from surgery (surprise to me). So, after my first fill I'm at 5cc and feel nothing. Well,maybe a slight, and I mean, SLIGHT restriction. Looking forward to my second fill. I understand it takes multiple fills to get to our sweet spots but I wish it could come sooner than later!! I've only lost 12 lbs in these 4 weeks and looking forward to losing more. Actually, I just want to feel restriction!! I feel like I can eat anything as well!! I'm just beginning to exercise so we'll see.....Hang in there. I guess we all have to:rolleyes:

fluffy! I am an RN too and feel exactly like you banded in June as well with 5cc first fill. I can still eat a lot :cursing: I try not too but it is sooooo hard! My Dr. is great though and is letting me have a second fill MOnday! Hope its a good one :confused: Good luck to you and I will keep you posted!

This is my first post, and I found what I was looking for. Thank you to everyone who has posted about not feeling restricted. I was banded on 6/3 and about two weeks ago realized that I could eat and drink anything. I have lost 27 pounds since surgery, but not an ounce in the last two weeks (not gained anything either). I have my first fill on 7/27 and am looking forward to it. I was afraid that I did something wrong to feel this way.

I weigh 380 pounds. I lost fifty pounds before my surgery and the six weeks after it, so when it came time for my first fill, the surgeon said that I should come back in a month and he would probably give me my first fill then. That was yesterday. I could not lie down flat on the table for more than a minute because I felt smothered. I always sleep in a lounge chair.

Then they tried to do it as I stood up, but could not quite align it with the port. The doctor said that he would consult with my surgeon and try to figure out how this fill could be accomplished.

Does anyone have any idea on how this could be helped? I MUST be able to get fills, as I have very, very little restriction and have regained ten pounds. I am back to dieting.

So far, people have told me to get propped up a bit with pillows, and to get something with which to sedate me.

That table is so very high to climb onto. I can't believe the disappointment.