Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you ever eat 'regular' food again?

Wait till you have adjusted to it and you think that's a HUGE amount of food, lol.

I constantly feel like I'm a piggie, like I've overeaten AGAIN. Then when I think about what everyone around me ate, i realise my perception has changed totally.

I'm here now, after my first fill.

I'll eat and totally feel too full. (I need to learn to gauge the amounts better so I don't keep doing that! But my first fill was just last week so it's only been a few times.) And then I'll go and log every bite of food and realize it wasn't hardly anything. I think that's what I mean by surreal. (In a really, really awesome way! haha)

This past weekend was my first real test. We were hosting a large group of guests, big BBQ. I was hungry, I put one (pork) rib on my plate, a few pieces of Pasta from the Pasta salad, a tiny piece of garlic bread. It seemed like such a reasonable amount. I had one or two bites of each and that was it. (I had earlier had hummus and pita chips, so that's probably why.)

It's really weird. I mean, it seems so surreal. I'm still adjusting to it all.

:scared2: I totally agree on the surrealism of it. I make up a plate now and it looks like something one would give to a toddler - tiny piles of soft, mushy food. And yet, I'm *full* afterwards. It's mindboggling.

THese posts are such help...and i don't feel the same way I did when I created this post (even though it was only a few days ago..)..so thank you all!

My doctor moved me to regular foods starting the 4th week after surgery. Since then I can eat anything I want, but I have been trying to make healthier choices and limit to my 4oz. The only things I have found that I have a problem with is rice and soft breads, gets stuck almost every time I try.

I eat normally, whatever we as a family decide on. Cooking, restaurants, bread, Pasta, pancakes, pizza, rice, whatever. Been that way since a week or two after banding. Some are easier than others, some I really need to make sure I chew extra well. I try to make good decisions and avoid simple carbs like white starches as much as possible, why waste my limited space on that crap? Still can't quite deal with scrambled eggs though. :confused:

The quantities I eat are small. I eat less than my 10 yo daughter. A huge meal for me is a whole can of Chunky Soup, I'll eat that for dinner on days that I work out, a whopping 300-400 calories? I used to eat 300 calories per bite, lol.

Hardest part for me is throwing away a lot of food when I eat out. I grew up as a "clean your plate, there's starving people in Africa" kid.

But now I'll get a sandwich at the cafeteria at work, eat half the filling, 2 bites of the roll, and maybe 3 french fries. When I throw the container in the trash it feels like it weighs the same as when I got it. :cursing:

so everyone talks about different people being able to eat different things and how some things get " stuck" . So my question is how do i know if something is "stuck"? I mean will i know right off the bat or an hour later and what does it feel like?

I am 5 days post op and really afraid of what foods to try when its time. Should i only try new things at home? Is it horrible pain? and how do i get "un stuck"?

Any and all answers are really appreciated. Oh yeah and what about spaghettios? i dont even like them but wondering if anyones tried them?

so everyone talks about different people being able to eat different things and how some things get " stuck" . So my question is how do i know if something is "stuck"? I mean will i know right off the bat or an hour later and what does it feel like?

I am 5 days post op and really afraid of what foods to try when its time. Should i only try new things at home? Is it horrible pain? and how do i get "un stuck"?

Any and all answers are really appreciated. Oh yeah and what about spaghettios? i dont even like them but wondering if anyones tried them?

You'll know right off the bat. I would call it uncomfortable as opposed to painful but YMMV. Just stop eating as soon as you feel any discomfort and wait a bit. It takes time to get used to eating in a whole meal what used to be just a few bites before banding.

A quick look online shows a can of Spaghettio's have 360 calories, 74g of carbs and 12g of Protein. That's a LOT of simple carbs. You would be much better off with a can of Chunky chicken and Vegetable Soup, with 186 calories, 26g carbs and 14g Protein. It's also a larger amount of food overall and IMO much more satisfying to eat.

Consider this a hobby. Learn how to read labels. Some foods in the grocery store seem almost identical, but one will have 3x the calories and 4x the carbs as the other brand.

There are some good sites to start researching.

Eat This, Not That - The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution From Men's Health

CalorieKing - Diet and weight loss. Calorie Counter and more

I would say the best way to describe getting "stuck" is to say it feels like you swallowed a golf ball and it is still in your chest. The hurt is just above your breastbone and hurts like HECK....Time is the only thing that will cure it this time...Next time prevention is the way to go. Small bites and chew until you don't have anything left to chew....

I know these post are older but I just have to say thank you for all these comments. I'm 6 days post op and just want to cry. Keep asking myself if I will ever be able to eat normally in a sense again. I have family members who have had this surgery as well and some say they can tolerate one thing but not another. I love steamed rice, I love banana nut bread and I'm half italian so yes I love Pasta and to think that I would never be able to have any of this ever again was driving me bonkers. LOL I'm glad to see that some can still eat these things even if it's just a bite or two. I think I might wait about 6 months out before trying, then I should be healed and might be able to tolerate it. Right now I feel sick, I can't even get down all the liquids they want me too and can't seem to stay hydrated. I also HATE most Soups so I'm getting to that point where I just want to sleep until my mushy stage and then the real food stage. LOL All your comments have given me a postive outlook that things will get better and I will have more of a normal way of life again, it just takes time :unsure: So thank You, been a great help!!!!!:unsure: