Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yowza! This hurts!

I would actually like to get a WW2 cookbook. I think it is amazing what people survived on with rationing and how inventive they were. i think they used mashed parsnip with some kind of flavouring as a banana substitute etc.

We may have strayed far from the original topic but this is actually a really interesting thread! LOL,

I have one!! Or I did, I'm not into cookbooks so I gave it to a friend who is.

One was ... I forget what it is called. It was a Southern US delight.. I think it started with an "S" and ended in "Goo". Absolutely disgusting!

You get a big HUGE MEGA pot, something that holds 50 gallons, put it over a fire. Add every vegetable under the sun, ham, chickens, squirrels, various rodents, spices, and let it simmer for a day. Gahhhhhh!

This cookbook is sooooo not PC, OMG it is so not PC but it was funny to read.

ETA... I think I just thought of the name.. bergoo? (sp?)

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

Slimmap...I would imagine that NO banders should eat "a whole lot of" ANYTHING!!! Never mind a whole lot of RICE with "all that butter in it!! What were you thinking?? That is a DOUBLE NO-NO!!

I would touch base with your dietician again for a "nutritional tune-up"!! Most docs I know of - as well as the Nurse Practioner and Dietician who moderate the Bariatric Support group I attend, ALL say that all gastric weightloss patients MUST consume their Protein FIRST at each meal, folowed by veggies or fruit, or limited good carbs if there is room. We were told we MUST get at between 60 - 80 grams of protein in per day to avoid nutritional deficiencies and Hair loss. If you eat your carbs, veggies or fruits before your protein, you run the risk of not getting enough protein in each day.

I realize that each practice has their own rules...but most all that I have researched require us to eat protein first....I have also found that some patients "hear what they want at the doctor's office"....me included in the past - so I make sure I write everything down so my "selective memory" doesn't sabotage me!

I recommend that you make an appointment with your bariatric surgery office and ask to meet with the dietician/nutritionist to touch base about your issues.

Don't wait until you've done damage to yourself!

Good Luck!

You get a big HUGE MEGA pot, something that holds 50 gallons, put it over a fire. Add every vegetable under the sun, ham, chickens, squirrels, various rodents, spices, and let it simmer for a day. Gahhhhhh!

The book sounds really interesting. I find stuff like that fascinating. You can tell it wasn't a UK book though - they had such severe rationing they hardly had any meat. That recipie sounds as though it would have taken a whole villages ration coupons for a month! Although i suppose things like rat and squirrel would have been available.......... The other meats like beef , pork etc i think were used to feed the troops.

Slimmap...I would imagine that NO banders should eat "a whole lot of" ANYTHING!!! Never mind a whole lot of RICE with "all that butter in it!! What were you thinking?? That is a DOUBLE NO-NO!!

I would touch base with your dietician again for a "nutritional tune-up"!! Most docs I know of - as well as the Nurse Practioner and Dietician who moderate the Bariatric Support group I attend, ALL say that all gastric weightloss patients MUST consume their Protein FIRST at each meal, folowed by veggies or fruit, or limited good carbs if there is room. We were told we MUST get at between 60 - 80 grams of Protein in per day to avoid nutritional deficiencies and hair loss. If you eat your carbs, veggies or fruits before your protein, you run the risk of not getting enough protein in each day.

I realize that each practice has their own rules...but most all that I have researched require us to eat protein first....I have also found that some patients "hear what they want at the doctor's office"....me included in the past - so I make sure I write everything down so my "selective memory" doesn't sabotage me!

I recommend that you make an appointment with your bariatric surgery office and ask to meet with the dietician/nutritionist to touch base about your issues.

Don't wait until you've done damage to yourself!

Good Luck!

Ahhhh, we all do it every now and again. It's part of the "process" we go through.

The book sounds really interesting. I find stuff like that fascinating. You can tell it wasn't a UK book though - they had such severe rationing they hardly had any meat. That recipie sounds as though it would have taken a whole villages ration coupons for a month! Although i suppose things like rat and squirrel would have been available.......... The other meats like beef , pork etc i think were used to feed the troops.

Nonono... it wasn't rationing, it was what they grew and caught for themselves. Blech.....

I have a hunch if we had to catch and "clean" our own food today we would have a LOT more vegetarians today. ;o)

BTW....

You might want to do a search for Antiquarian cook books and antique cook books on ebay. Then find the title you want and check out:

AddALL book search and price comparison

And see if they have the same title cheaper. You can find true treasures there. If I still had the old cookbook I'd be happy to send it to you but I'm pretty sure I gave it to my friend who loves cookbooks.

The thing about poverty and eating poorly is so NOT true. Its lack of education and lack of energy to bother that is the problem, not lack of money or access to food.

You can go to Prahran market or South Melbourne Market or Queen victorian Market here in Melbourne - any of the big markets and I"m sure every major city in the world has them and if you go at close to closing time you can buy an enormous bag - like 20lb worth of mixed vegetables for $20. Beans and pulses are cheap as dirt. Our local supermarket which I rarely shop at becuase I am a fresh market shopper in general does market saturday every week at 5pm where the meat and poultry is absolutely rock bottom prices.

The trouble is people dont know how to cook! Buying food this way is FAR cheaper than buying rubbish but people just have no idea what to do with it.

It is not hard to learn to be a good basic cook but people are plain lazy and sometimes intimidated. Being poor has nothing to do with not knowing how to cook lentils and vegies into a healthy satisifying meal, the information on what is a healthy diet is everywhere for people to know, cooking oatmeal for Breakfast - from scratch not that packaged rubbish everyone seems to love - is as cheap as it gets and very healthy.

Poverty is no impediment to eating well if people were educated about it - probably the responsibility of each individual themselves but also as a policy thing.

I have the modern day version of the mega pot over the fire - a slow cooker and I regularly DO fill it with every vegetable and pulse I can find in the house and simmer it all day!

I think the thing with the Protein first and why we seem to argue about it and why it is not pushed so much here is that in general our "band culture" in Australia is not to be so tight that getting 60 to 80 grams a day would be any issue whatsoever so there's no need to make it the focus. My doctor would say that if you need Protein shakes, then you're too tight and that you should be able to eat a balanced meal of Protein, wholegrain carb and vegetables. I dont know where this 1/2 serving ideal came from but it is to my mind the most problematic misconception of the band ever. It makes it so that you have to be overtight to remain satisfied, and leads to you not being able to eat enough of what you need, and of course, being that tight leads to all the problems that the band seems to bring on.

Gram for gram, protein and carbs are the same calorie value - 9 cal (I think). The thing is protein comes as solid, and dense, so small. Wholegrain bread comes with loads of fibre and air and fruit and veg come with fibre and Water, so it is much more filling for a smaller amount. So you can eat way more BULK for not a lot of extra calories. Loosen off your band, eat a cup worth instead and fill it out with healthy fibre giving wholegrain foods and suddenly you could be just as satisfied, on only a few more calories with, I'm betting, MUCH less discomfort associated with an overtight band.

Make up the difference by moving more if you need to. But having your band tight enough to limit you to half a cup of protein and very little vegetables and then adding back in Vitamin pills, Protein Shakes and fibre is to my mind absolutely insane. That simply CANT be the route to a healthy long life.

Edited by Jachut

The thing about poverty and eating poorly is so NOT true. Its lack of education and lack of energy to bother that is the problem, not lack of money or access to food.

You are my new favorite poster!

You can go to Prahran market or South Melbourne Market or Queen victorian Market here in Melbourne - any of the big markets and I"m sure every major city in the world has them and if you go at close to closing time you can buy an enormous bag - like 20lb worth of mixed vegetables for $20. Beans and pulses are cheap as dirt. Our local supermarket which I rarely shop at becuase I am a fresh market shopper in general does market saturday every week at 5pm where the meat and poultry is absolutely rock bottom prices.

In English, what is a pulse? ;o))))

The trouble is people dont know how to cook! Buying food this way is FAR cheaper than buying rubbish but people just have no idea what to do with it.

If you EVER come to the US I swear, I will cook for you. I do not cook for anyone but me but I will cook for you and your family and you will love it!

Poverty is no impediment to eating well if people were educated about it - probably the responsibility of each individual themselves but also as a policy thing.

Thank you~

pulses are dried Beans, lentils etc.

I have a hunch if we had to catch and "clean" our own food today we would have a LOT more vegetarians today. ;o)

I so agree. Me for one. I have arguments with myself all the time about whether I should go vegie or not. I could not eat anything I had to kill myself and there is no way I could be a farmer unless of course it was a wine farm!

The reason I haven't turned vegie is that my DH and DS would mutiny if I didn't cook them meat and if I'm preparing and cooking it anyway then I may as well eat it.

It is not the health thing that worries me about eating meat as I believe that we were designed to eat it, it's the cruelty thing. there are so many things they do to poor animals that we are not even aware of.

It was only recently that I discovered how cruel the dairy industry is - all those poor Bobby calves - prior to that I thought milk was a cruelty free option.

I so agree. Me for one. I have arguments with myself all the time about whether I should go vegie or not. I could not eat anything I had to kill myself and there is no way I could be a farmer unless of course it was a wine farm!

The reason I haven't turned vegie is that my DH and DS would mutiny if I didn't cook them meat and if I'm preparing and cooking it anyway then I may as well eat it.

It is not the health thing that worries me about eating meat as I believe that we were designed to eat it, it's the cruelty thing. there are so many things they do to poor animals that we are not even aware of.

It was only recently that I discovered how cruel the dairy industry is - all those poor Bobby calves - prior to that I thought milk was a cruelty free option.

And a big ditto.

Citrical Petites...available at Walgreens and, I'm sure, your local grocer or pharmacy. They are small. They are swallow-able (is that a word? probably not) and they don't have to be chewed. AND yes, they are Calcium citrate.

I've PBd twice on those in the past 2 days. My surgeon told me to try them whole when I felt up to it -- obviously, my stomach disagrees on the matter. Hence the question :confused:

I've PBd twice on those in the past 2 days. My surgeon told me to try them whole when I felt up to it -- obviously, my stomach disagrees on the matter. Hence the question :confused:

WOW thank Goodness I'm not that restricted! Mother of Pearl! I feel for you, dude! :ohmy:

Today, perhaps. People are a little more wuss about survival skills than they used to be, but I know the reason I don't eat much fish has more to do with annoyance at fish oil and bones than in any trauma I sufferred while gutting them. Can't say as I've killed anything large with legs, though the carcass probably wouldn't affect me.

One guy I know -- very vegetarian -- try to put his dog on a vegetarian diet (he'd never had a dog before). Poor thing was getting sick all over before we convinced him that those canines were there for a reason.

WOW thank Goodness I'm not that restricted! Mother of Pearl! I feel for you, dude! :confused:

And I still haven't had my first fill yet -- I can toss Water back like crazy. Purees, too. They start getting thick and I'll top off at 4-5oz. But two petites, and I can't hold Water down for a while.

Oh, I'm very unrestricted in bandster terms and I just cant do big Vitamin pills - I take chewable ones. And these things called Iron melts that are similar (coz I tend to be chronically low on iron). I add ground flaxseed into things that are appropriate or take a tablespoon full of flaxseed oil every day. That way I can avoid the horrid experience of having the pill stick in my throat, making me gag and vomit it back up - I swear its not a pb, its just my ultra babyish reaction to swallowing - anything :-) - but its not fun when your coffee follows it via your nose.

I've not needed anitbiotics at all in the 4 years since banding, not sure how I'll cope when I do. Smaller capsules like painkillers are fine for me though.

Wasa - you're on! I just saw a divine recipe for duck in a port and orange sauce surrounded by pitted cherries on the Tour de France - any chance? But a bowl of lentils would be fine....