Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduling surgery and annoying mother

Hey I'm just sitting here waiting for my doctors office to call me back. My mother is really annoying me because she is going out of town in July and wants me to schedule everything around that. I have no idea what the doctors office is going to schedule. Do they have a limited number of slots? What if the only time they offer is while my mother is out of town? I really do not want to put it off just for that. I don't know. What do you guys think? Am I being a brat? I'm 30 years old I should be able to have my surgery whenever I want right? lol

LMAO at the subject line!

I read "annoying" as a verb and not an adjective!

But in your case, it probably is both, isn't it!?

Do you need your mom there to take you home from the hospital? If not, then, while it would be nice to have her around, I would go with the doctor's availability.

Let your mom know you appreciate her support, but this is outpatient surgery and you'll be fine.

As a mom of a 30-year-old daughter myself I know that it's tough to cut that cord. But our kiddos will be fine without us mommy birds hovering over them every step of the way!

:smile2:

Edited by TopTier
typo

LOL I guess the title could go both ways huh? I didn't even realize that.

No I don't absolutely need her here although she thinks that yes I do. My fiance was planning on taking a couple of days off when we find out when my surgery is so he could be with me. My mother tends to want to take charge of everything. God bless her she just can't help it.

Well I guess I will just wait and see what the doctors schedule looks like. If it is when she is out of town then so be it.

Yikes! Well, be gentle with her, but firm. If it's when she's out of town, don't reschedule just for her.

At some point the daughters have to help the moms step away!

I told my daughter when she turned 18 that from that point on, all my previous "orders" to her were now converted to "friendly suggestions."

It was almost harder for her to deal with that than me! :smile2: But my mom was very controlling and smothering and I wanted my daughter to understand that I'm here for support and a shoulder, and that I would offer "advice," but no longer was I "in charge" of her life -- she was, for good or bad. If she made bad choices or tripped a few times, I would be there to help steady her, but they were her own choices now.

Plus, your mom is also very worried, no doubt. She brought you into this world. I think sometimes we think if we stand over our children in times of risk that we can protect them from everything that can happen. She just wants to make sure you're safe! Reassure her! But don't change your plans -- unless changing them is something you really want to do.