Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi..I am a 40 something married woman who has been dealing with weight issues all my life. I have finally made me my mind up about getting surgery and I am ready to change my life.

I am at the very early stage but I am excited nonetheless. I look forward to hearing from other newbies and banders who have reached their goals.:tongue:

Good luck on your journey. I have to do the 6 month supervised diet and already have gone to 2 out of 6 visits. It is going very fast. Keep us posted.

Jen

Hi, I'm also in the very early stages. I have my 6 appointments set and have my first infor seminar July 7, lots inbetween and surgeon appointment Sept 30, Lots can happen between now and then and hope I don't get kicked to the curb along the way. I have a lower bmi so very unsure about getting approved. Hoping for the best. I'm 59 and wished I had made the decision a long time ago. I just know I can't continue on this path of weight gain. I have had weight problems for the last 40 years. pm me if you want to talk about our journey. good luck.

I too wish I would have done this sooner, but I honestly was an naysayer. I saw WLS as a quick fix. I thought Star Jones looked a mess, Al Roker seemed to be cranky all the time and Randy Jackson looked like he gained alot of weight back..so what was the point? But I witnessed first hand the change in someone very close to me who had gastric bypass. I thought it was dangerous and she should have tried harder to lose weight, but I watched her self esteem transform as the pounds melted off. I apologized to her. I told her I was inspired and wanted to look into lap band for myself and she told me some of the good, bad and ugly about having WLS and convincing me even more that while WLS was for me..but gastric was not.

I wonder...does your doctor recommend what he feels would be best to lose the most weight, or can a person choose the type of surgery????:biggrin:

I too wish I would have done this sooner, but I honestly was an naysayer. I saw WLS as a quick fix. I thought Star Jones looked a mess, Al Roker seemed to be cranky all the time and Randy Jackson looked like he gained alot of weight back..so what was the point? But I witnessed first hand the change in someone very close to me who had gastric bypass. I thought it was dangerous and she should have tried harder to lose weight, but I watched her self esteem transform as the pounds melted off. I apologized to her. I told her I was inspired and wanted to look into lap band for myself and she told me some of the good, bad and ugly about having WLS and convincing me even more that while WLS was for me..but gastric was not.

I wonder...does your doctor recommend what he feels would be best to lose the most weight, or can a person choose the type of surgery????:biggrin:

Hi Mrs. Wilson:

If the doctor you choose is anything like my doctor, he will ask you what surgery you want; however, along the way with deciding on the lap band, I almost convinced myself I wanted the RNY, even though I really didn't want my inside rerouted. Anyway, I told him I wanted to change my mind and he flat out asked me why. Then we talked about things I wanted to do, such as my husband and I want to have another baby and he told me I should stay with my decision to have the lap band. I just wanted this weight to fall off as quick as I could, but I am now VERY comfortable with my decision to stay with lap band. Also, on my first consultation with him, my BMI was right at 49.9. He said I was right on the cusp of when he recommends RNY. I have lost down to a BMI of 47 now within the last few months.

Anyway, sorry I posted too much, but I just wanted to say that you might be able to tell your doctor which surgery you want and then you guys can go from there.

Good luck to you! :()

Thank you so much for your reply and for the information. I am hoping my doctor will allow me to make the choice for myself because my fears are too great for gastric. I would definitely back out if that was the only option. Based on BMI charts, my BMI is 43..but that is also based on my last weigh in at my primary care doctor's office, and by the time I get to see the doctor I hope will perform the surgery, in July that number may change..so I will see..

I wish you the best of luck on your journey as well...

Hi Mrs. Wilson:

If the doctor you choose is anything like my doctor, he will ask you what surgery you want; however, along the way with deciding on the lap band, I almost convinced myself I wanted the RNY, even though I really didn't want my inside rerouted. Anyway, I told him I wanted to change my mind and he flat out asked me why. Then we talked about things I wanted to do, such as my husband and I want to have another baby and he told me I should stay with my decision to have the lap band. I just wanted this weight to fall off as quick as I could, but I am now VERY comfortable with my decision to stay with lap band. Also, on my first consultation with him, my BMI was right at 49.9. He said I was right on the cusp of when he recommends RNY. I have lost down to a BMI of 47 now within the last few months.

Anyway, sorry I posted too much, but I just wanted to say that you might be able to tell your doctor which surgery you want and then you guys can go from there.

Good luck to you! :))

Thank you so much for your reply and for the information. I am hoping my doctor will allow me to make the choice for myself because my fears are too great for gastric.

If your doctor won't "allow" you to make the choice as to which surgery to get, I would be changing doctors.

I have seen some here whose doctors were really pushing what they wanted to do on the patients, and I truly believe it is because RNY is much more expensive and they get more money for doing the operation.

One poor lady here was going to do the RNY and then opted for the band, and her doctor got pissy with her and treated her with disdain after that. That, imo, is VERY wrong.

Any good doctor should do no more than give you the pros and cons of all types of surgery and never push for one over the other.

Hello! Congrats on the beginning of a healthier life! I just was banded 3 days ago, and I am feeling good. I have very minimal pain and have already lost 1.5 pounds since surgery (on top of 20 pounds during the pre-op diet). Of course, I have just started my lapband journey, but as of right now, I am so happy with my choice. I also did not want my insides re-routed, and never really considered RNY. At 3 days out, I am able to walk around, get up and down from chairs and the bed on my own, take a shower, get dressed etc. The recovery time is very short. I am so excited for the pounds to start dropping off! Good luck!

I hear alot about the post op diet..is this a requirement of all patients prior to surgery to clear out the system, or is it a madatory from the insurance company? Speaking of which, I have Keystone Healthplan..any one have difficulty getting approved? Thank in advance to all who reply

Do you mean the "pre-op" diet?

Actually, the main purpose of the basic liquid pre-op diet prior to surgery is to assist in shrinking the liver.

The liver sits on top of the stomach. In other words, the doctor will have to "nudge" it out of the way to get a clear path to the section of the stomach on which to place (wrap) the lap-band.

The liver in most overweight/obese people is larger than most for a variety of reasons, but mostly because of the large stores of glycogen (because of the high carbs consumed).

The liquid pre-op diet is designed to shrink the liver, sometimes up to 40%. It does that by denying the high level of carbs it had been getting so it releases its glycogen stores.

Some doctors won't operate if the liver is too large.

I don't know why the insurance companies require its weight loss period. I am self-pay.

I don't know why the insurance companies require its weight loss period. I am self-pay.

Not all do. Mine didn't (BCBS Anthem). However, I think some do in order to weed out some people and to keep from paying if you can't show some ability to follow a diet. I dunno...

Actually yes..I meant pre-op and thank you for the information.

Do you mean the "pre-op" diet?

Actually, the main purpose of the basic liquid pre-op diet prior to surgery is to assist in shrinking the liver.

The liver sits on top of the stomach. In other words, the doctor will have to "nudge" it out of the way to get a clear path to the section of the stomach on which to place (wrap) the lap-band.

The liver in most overweight/obese people is larger than most for a variety of reasons, but mostly because of the large stores of glycogen (because of the high carbs consumed).

The liquid pre-op diet is designed to shrink the liver, sometimes up to 40%. It does that by denying the high level of carbs it had been getting so it releases its glycogen stores.

Some doctors won't operate if the liver is too large.