Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got banded on May 1st and things have been going good, but Im soooo sick and tired of people watching me like a hawk everytime I eat something and making comments like are you suppose to be eating that? are you suppose to be drinking that? have you lost any weight yet? I mean it is driving me NUTS!! And then I have a friend who I talk too a couple times a week and she's asking me how much weight have you lost? have you lost anymore? how much do they think your going to lose? I mean it's not going to happen overnight give me a freakin break!! I feel like Im under a microscope now and they expect some kind of transformation overnight! I dont know if anyone else has experienced this but I dont know how much more I can take before I snap!! I'm sorry but I just needed to vent! sheewww I feel a little better now LoL

Sorry to hear what you are experiencing. Fear of this happening to me is one of the reasons I decided to keep my op a secret from everyone except hubby!

Some people just have no sense, sometimes. In a way, they are trying to show you they are "supportive." It's a way to show they love you.

But I would get annoyed big time!

Tell them it was a lap-band and not a magic wand. This isn't Biggest Loser where next time you tune in, there's 20 pounds down the drain!

Remind them that you can eat basically most anything you want, just smaller portions of it.

And promise them they will be the first to know when you have some really BIG "not so big anymore" news to share!

That just sucks!!! I got a negative reaction from people, too. They don't understand that it takes a while for you to get restriction and to start losing weight. It's not like some of the other wls. They start working immediately. We have to wait for fills and everything. Just hang in there and try to ignore the negativity. GOOD LUCK!!!

I know, I know. It is maddening ,but what can you do. My mother and mother-in-law are the worst. They do really love and care about me, but they are hawks. My mother is the worlds worse ,with "I hope you just don't stretch the thing out like so many people do and gain all that weight back". Elcee I think that you had a great idea to not tell..

This is definitely part of the reason I kept my surgery private. What a nightmare! I'd had that experience when I told people I was dieting in the past, and it's just no fun at all. Maybe it will help if you explain that the LB is for a slow, safe & healthy loss rate -- about 1-2 lbs per week. Adjust some expectations so they will stop bugging you!

Good luck!

Catherine

That is why I have told very few people about my surgery, I did not want that to happen. This is hard enough without outside comments and people second guessing every bite you put into your mouth. Good luck hopefully it gets better.

Thanks for all the advice...it def. helps. I just hope that they can start to understand what I am going through and what they are doing is NOT helping me just annoying me LoL

I just got banded on May 1st and things have been going good, but Im soooo sick and tired of people watching me like a hawk everytime I eat something and making comments like are you suppose to be eating that? are you suppose to be drinking that? have you lost any weight yet? I mean it is driving me NUTS!! And then I have a friend who I talk too a couple times a week and she's asking me how much weight have you lost? have you lost anymore? how much do they think your going to lose? I mean it's not going to happen overnight give me a freakin break!! I feel like Im under a microscope now and they expect some kind of transformation overnight! I dont know if anyone else has experienced this but I dont know how much more I can take before I snap!! I'm sorry but I just needed to vent! sheewww I feel a little better now LoL

Don't worry! It will stop in a few months. Instead you'll be hearing comments about how you really should not be losing weight so fast because it certainly can't be healthy and remarks like that! You just can't win. Don't worry about it. People will always try to sabotage our efforts one way or another. Most are just jealous in the long run!!

People are a trip, I think they mean well but sometimes it can get plain annoying, before got the lap band, at work i would have lunch and have people looking over my shoulder and ask me if I should be eating that before my LB procedure and that was a month out! It got so bad for a while as it got closer to the date that weeks before my operation I just sat in my car and ate lunch. Now I hear if you loose to fast it can be bad and dont get to thin... grrrr I decided to use my full FMLA to get a break from people at work and focus on me and my recovery and weight loss.

hi, trust me you are not alone. i wish i would have kept my big mouth shut. but no i told everyone!!

my biggest problem is another friend has gastric -by-pass a week after my lapband and of course losing big time weight, so everyone thinks i should be like her ugh!!!

anyway when i do get to my weight, maybe then they will stop asking! lol

good luck

No matter what happens from now on people are going to make comments, good or bad. I have lost a lot of weight now and now I have people asking if im losing too fast, will I need skin removed, will I have my band taken out, dont lose too much weight, shouldnt you be eating more....LOL! i just tell them thanks but everything is going well and other than that its my business. Accourse I get a (Boy he's a real A-- hole) look but hey it is just my business and no one elses. good luck with your weight lose and try not to let others ruine your day for you, remember stress and our moods can also effect our weight lose.

Tell them to shut the fuck up and mind their own business!

Sorry- I needed to say that.:)

I am 10 months out from surgery, during the liquid/mushie stage I lost 35 lbs. Then it took 6 more months to find my "sweet spot". While trying to find my sweet spot I actually gained 5-7 lbs back. Now I am losing 1-2 lbs a week. Oh boy everyone but my husband was making the same comments and even a few more like "Dosen't it feel like you wasted 16,000 dollars only to still be able to gain weight."

It was very frustrating and I was tired of the comments along time ago. Be patient and get your fills!!!

I, but Im soooo sick and tired of people watching me like a hawk everytime I eat something and making comments like are you suppose to be eating that?

There was a long thread about are you telling your friends and coworkers about your surgery. I don't think this came up, but is a definite argument for not telling