Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know what to do!

Should I be worried? I found out that my surgeon has only performed this lap band surgery on 3 other people. I would be the 4th. This program was first established in December. But I was not aware that I would be one of the first to have this operation here. I have been wanting this surgery for a very long time. I have researched it for awhile now. I do not want to be a Guinea PIG! Should I start searching elsewhere for this to be done?

I am in the jumping through the hoops stage right now. I met with my surgeon yesterday for my surgical evaluation. I have done the nutritional evaluation and have the psch evaluation scheduled for next week. I was told that after I was through with the rest of these steps I could schedule surgery but not before paying the $5000 surgeon's fee and the $1400 ansethesia charge upfront.

I have BCBS insurance and am pretty sure they are going to pay for this. I have $1900 left to pay on my coinsurance. Why, if I have insurance am I being aske d to pay these costs upfront before surgery? Has anyone else had to do this?

I am so confused. I need some good sound advise from someone that has been there. What would you do?

I do not want to be a Guinea PIG! Should I start searching elsewhere for this to be done?

I was told that after I was through with the rest of these steps I could schedule surgery but not before paying the $5000 surgeon's fee and the $1400 ansethesia charge upfront.

Why, if I have insurance am I being aske d to pay these costs upfront before surgery? Has anyone else had to do this?

I am so confused. I need some good sound advise from someone that has been there. What would you do?

Nope - would NEVER be a guinea pig or practice for a newly annoited weight loss surgeon. do a search on cleo's mom here. there are TOO many surgeons, to entertain one who not only is inexperienced but is also asking a program fee.

i find the program fees BS. there is NO reason for them, i know some do....but i think it's just some dr's way of getting more money from insurance patients vs those who self pay.

find out how much your ins will pay the dr for the lapband, then see how much his/her self pay patients price is ....my guess the gap is what the "program fee" is for.....my opinion.

find another surgeon!

I agree. You should not be having to pay anything except perhaps a deductible.

More importantly there's no way I'd let an inexperienced surgeon do this surgery. Aside from the surgery itself....the band requires excellent follow-up care. Your surgeon cannot provide that because s/he has no experience.

My surgeon, for example, worked with a renowned doc in San Diego for over 2000 surgeries before he moved here to accept the position of head of bariatrics at a local hospital.

For surgery you want an experienced doc...one experienced IN THAT SURGERY.

RUN from that place; get your money back, and find someone with experience who won't try to run an end game around your insurance.

I googled "How do I pick a good surgeon" (I had researched this years ago before I had my gallbladder removed, and again before I got the lap band...you can google something similar if you doubt how important experience is) and found this:

"Practice keeps skills high, so an all-or-nothing approach to surgery in the pre-retirement years may be better than gradually fading away."

- Study co-author Dr. John Birkmeyer of the University of MichiganHere are some key recommendations that I share with people who ask for advice on how to pick a good surgeon:

1. Pick a surgeon who does little but the procedure that you need to have done. If you must have a lump removed from your breast, pick a surgeon who does this procedure a hundred or more times per year.
  2. Pick a surgeon who will respect the choices that you will make regarding diet, lifestyle, and follow-up care after your surgery. Share your post-surgical recovery plan with your surgeon prior to agreeing to have him or her do surgery on you.
  3. Your mind-set and emotional status going into surgery are critical factors that will determine how well your surgery will go. A good surgeon should make you feel comfortable and cared for at all times.

Although some health challenges, particularly acute medical emergencies, require surgery as soon as possible, the vast majority of health conditions are best addressed initially with health-promoting food and lifestyle choices.

I agree with the others.....FIND ANOTHER SURGEON!!!!!!

There is nothing more important than your health and you deserve a surgeon that has experience and a multidisciplanary team that works with him to provide you with a complete program and follow up care. Where do you live? do some more research on more experienced surgeons. good luck- I hope you find someone soon and that they will work with you and take into account all the work you have already done. You also shouldn't have to pay all those fees with your insurance!!!:thumbup:

If your surgeon is contracted with BCBS I would not pay a penny up front, let it get processed and then pay your part. I work for Cigna Healthcare, so I know. Also I would pick a doctor that has experience in doing Lapband. I would contact BCBS and ask them for a list of landband doctors, most of the time they have a list of preferred doctors that have a good relasonship with your insurance so it may even be cheaper!

Good Luck

Josh

CLEO'S MOM IS HERE!!! Been there, done that! And all I can say is to run, don't walk, to your nearest hospital of excellence & bariatric program with an experienced bariatric surgeon. My doctor had done 22 bandings before me. He is a general surgeon and maintains an active general surgery practice and only recently started adding bariatric surgery "on the side" (it seemed to me). His whole knowledge of how the band works, his unrealistic expectations for weight loss and his inexperience with dealing with my complications when he overfilled my 4cc band caused me to seek a second opinion and then change doctors. You do not want to go through this. Start out with someone who already knows what he is doing. And technically, the surgical part might be the easiest part of the whole process. The follow up is actually more important. Had I gone to an experiened surgeon to begin with, I would have had a new, 10cc band and would not have had to go through all the pain and suffering I did. There is no hurry. This band is going to be in you for the rest of your life (hopefully). Good luck and take your time doing your research.

I agree with the others. However if this surgeon was working under the supervision of a highly experienced Bariatric surgeon then it might be OK. And by under the supervision of I mean that the experienced surgeon would need to be in theatre the whole time!

I just went to the Lap Band seminar this week and one of the first things that the hosting surgeon said himself was to never let a inexperienced surgeon use you as a guinea pig! He said you always want someone that has done it for atleast a couple of years....

Surgeons here in australia are allowed to watch the surgery being done here but aren't allowed to even pick up an instrument and help or whatever until they have 5 years experience. For me I was told a certain doctor was doing my procedure but turns out another guy did it, my surgeon was there and that definitely gives me piece of mind because if someone had of gone wrong he would of been able to fix it straight away. They all need to start something but if I were you I would definitely be changing surgeons, yes he needs to learn about bariatric surgery BUT he should have a couple of years with an actual bariatric surgeon watching/observing how it's done before he should even consider banding others. If your surgery is being payed for by insurance obviously you can change surgeons, just tell your insurance maybe that you don't want your life in the hand of someone that has only done 3 lap band surgeries and if something where to happen, what will they have to fork out to you? Chances are they won't like hearing that. Good luck and I hope you find a great surgeon.

I echo what everyone else has said ----- RUN to another surgeon.

I too have BCBS and they would only pay for it if it was with a surgeon who was rated by them and in a Center of Excellence. They are serious about wanting good surgeons for their money.

I;m mlucky that I live in NYC, where there are several excellent hospitals that have Weight Loss Centers. I definately wouldn't want to have surgery done by someone who has only performed LBS 3 x.

his site has a thread for people from WY. Maybe somene there can give you some alternate suggestions. http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f71/anyone-else-here-wyoming-50132/index3.html#post1223429

Good Luck!

Thank you all for your suggestions and support! I am going to look into different places today. Thank goodness I found all this out beforehand! I just hope that all the work I have done so far will tranfer to the new place I choose:crying:

Get your money back too!

And you know what? Even if all the "work" you've done doesn't transfer, you're still better off switching now than going through it with this doc who has no experience and is charging you for things he should NOT be (Contact your ins company to get clear exactly what you would've owed; you'll see he was really doing some price gouging)