Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 14th Surgery Stories

Hi everyone! I think there are only two of us on the list for surgeries today, so I thought I would get it started.

I had my surgery this morning at 10am (PST). Everything went well. I arrived to the surgical center yesterday and had blood drawn for labs, and then I was released to go back to hotel for the night.

The hotel shuttled me and my hubby to the surgical center at 7am this morning. As soon as I arrived, they conducted a breathing test and EKG, both of which I passed with flying colors! I got my IV started as well. I also met with the Nutritionist, who reviewed the post-op diet with me, and had me step on the scale. To my surprise, I've lost another 4 pounds since my last weigh in. That means I've lost a total of 24 pounds on the 4-week pre-op diet! Wow! I credit this to sticking to my pre-op diet AND keeping a journal of what I am eating daily. That has helped me stay accountable.

After I was done with my pre-op appointments, they took me and my hubby to my room where I got into this comfy gown and the infamous and hideous paper panties. Ha ha! Moments later, the nurse gave me my saline drip with Dramamine to counter the motion sickness side effect from the anesthesia. Before I knew it, they wheeled me into the OR, I got on the table, and they sedated me.

Overall I feel good. I am experiencing gas pains, but I am walking up and down the hallways to help get rid of it. The port area is quite tender. It feels kind of like I just did a bunch of ab crunches, but it's tolerable in my opinion. I do feel the band on my stomach, especially when I take a sip of Water. I will be released from the surgical center at 8am tomorrow and be driven back to the hotel. We fly home on Saturday morning.

Well, that seems to cover it.

I hope everyone else who is banded is doing well, and everyone else who is coming up next - good luck! You will do just fine!

Your fellow BANDito...

Sounds like you had a great experience! Congrats on your banding! :rolleyes:

I was at the hospital at 10:00 am and I was back in the holding area at 10:10 am. I was given a pregnancy test, of which they had to do twice, but all was negative (thank goodness). I put on the usual gown and stockings were place on my legs and well as the support cups to aid in circulation on the lower legs. The heparin shot was given. It was just a pinch and a mild burning sensation for about at minute. The docotr was running ahead of schedule so I was taken back to OR around noon. Don't remember anything but sliding onto the table and a mask being place over my mouth and nose. I don't remember the time I was placed in recovery. I woke up coughing and extreme left shoulder pain (do to a hernia repair). The recovery nurse gave me a pain killer and that really eased it up. I did two laps around recovery, drank or should I say sipped down two cups of Water and before I knew it I was going home and at my house around 3:30 pm.

No gas pain to speak of yet. Just the nagging shoulder pain.

I can have sugar free popsicles and Clear liquids through Sunday. After that it's four days on nutrient liquids such as the Protein shakes. Then next Friday and can have soft foods. Not hungry at all right now though. Have been rest a couple of hours then I do laps in the house. I want to stay moving in case of the gas and that I don't want to get stiff either in the mid-section. I can take a shower tomorrow and can take off support hose ( I should say later today). All the info in these forums is so helpful. I was very well informed and really my nerves didn't kick in at the hospital...I was ready! Good luck to everyone else this week, and the rest of May. I'll keep updating on the progress or any problems I encounter.

You're Awesome May Banditos!

Northsidegirl65

Congrats on everyone banding. I leave for monterrey on sunday and I'm so nervous and scared too. I'm schedule for surgery at 7a. I'm glad they are getting me in early cuz the longer I wait the more I think about what could go bad. I know that I'm doing the right thing. Hope everyone will have a good week with their new band

congrats on everyone getting banded...hang in there....and thanks for the updates! Seems like you both did so well! I am getting banded on the 20th...and hopefully I will not freak myself out! It really does help to read everyones surgery stories....thanks again!!!!!

Here is a list of others that where banded May 14th ....rachieroo, Mary of MO, nf1074, worknprogress, trishc, northsidegirl65, a10by20010, Elizabeth_07, Amari, hsj, frankthetank. Hope everyone is doing great!

Just got banded yestruday. i have been home all day today sleeping. couldnt sleep at the hospital due to bad gas pains. Especially in my back and neck. did feel very nauseaous and threw up pretty bad in the hallway, nurse freaked out on me. i have to say it was pretty scary. i have been walking around to help the gas, i feel very achy and tender.

its almost sureal that i actually did this. i just hope to be feeling better soon.

Congratulations to all of you! And welcome to the world of Banded Banditos! :grouphug: NF, it is sorta surreal, isn't it?

I'm 8 days out, and it gets better each day. Keep your chins up and you'll do great! :hurray:

Congratulations to all of you! And welcome to the world of Banded Banditos! :grouphug: NF, it is sorta surreal, isn't it?

I'm 8 days out, and it gets better each day. Keep your chins up and you'll do great! :hurray:

Keep your chins up? LOL As in double chins?? LMAO

Yikes, no! That's not what I meant! :grouphug: I meant, everyone keep their chin up! LOL ooops!

I knew what you meant, but it just struck me funny! You are a comedian and you didn't know it! :grouphug:

Congrats everyone! Keep up the walking, it really helps make you feel better and eradicate the gas pain.

It's still a bit surreal for me, too! In the hospital, my Mom kept saying, "Can you believe you're done? You had the surgery, finally!!!" and to be honest - I still kinda can't believe it. Except for these incisions... lol.

hi everyone

I had to leave home for the hospital at 5.30am to be there at 6.30am for a 8am theatre time slot. I was so scared and upset, when we got to the hospital my husband sat with me int he waiitng room till they came and got me to do a few obs ect, Thats when they told me my husband couldnt come along with me. I was terrified and burst into tears like a baby. My husband gave me a big hug and told me he was proud of me. I had a few more tears after that but all I kept thinking was that hubby was gonna be there as soon as Im awake.

I went into surgery at about 8.10am because the docotors were running late. I cant remember what time I went into recovery, all I remember was that they couldnt find me a bed in the HDU, I ended up getting a bed at about 11.30am, and hubby was there waiting for me. I was so excitied that I didnt die as that was my biggest fear.

I spent the night in the hospital in the HDU and was annoyed by nurses every hour taking blood pressure, temps etc all I wanted to do was sleep. I was lucky I wasnt in very much pain except for my left shoulder which still gives me a little grief but Its all good. I didnt take any pain meds from the nurses.

Next morning, Nutrionist came in about 9.30am and spoke to me and another lady that was banded by the same doctor, Docotor came in about 10am, told me my liver was in excellent condition (thank GOD for that)

Got home at about 1.00pm yesterday.

Last night sleeping in my own bed was just beautiful,. nobody waking me up to annoy me every hour. And it was way more comfy

Today, im feeling quite good, Went out to watch my son have swimming lessons and then to the shops for about 30 mins but that was enough, here I am sitting at home trying to eat a very runny chocolate yogo (custard)

Hope everyone is doing really well............

Big hugs and high fives to you all :grouphug:

I was banded on the 14th also. Everything went great. Went in at 10:30 out of recovery at 1 and went home at 3:30. Dr was impressed with how well I done. I haven't had alot of gas pain. Alot of soreness around port site, but it seems better today.

Day two after surgery and all is quite good. I have been taking it easy. I'll lie down for a while, then get up and walk around and treat myself to a popsicle. I've eaten some Jello but have to eat it slowly. I got dresses this morning and walked down the sidewalk to the neighbor's house and back twice. My hubby then drove me over to my Mom's while he cut her yard. Not to bad, I laid down and took a nap when I got back. Still very sore and having some sharp pain off and on in my shoulder. Was told this was normal due to a hiatal hernia repair. I may be over cautious but I don't want to harm anything I had done until I know I am healed. I decided to not to back to work on Monday. I'll just take it a day at a time and see how I feel. Monday AM I can start on Protein Shakes and I'm looking forward to a different taste in my mouth, but not hungry. Hope everyone else is coming along nicely and listening to your body during recovery. No says you have to be a super hero. I figure I've come this far I will give my body the time it needs and deserves.