Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mother's Day!?!? pfffft!!

Today for the first time since March 6, I questioned my decision to get the band. On previous occasions, I've felt a few hiccups with a little slime in the back of my throat. "O I've had too much to eat, I thought." Sometimes it was accompanied by a little pain in the chest that would pass in a few minutes.

Today, Mother's Day, of course, I found myself really wanting to go out to eat. I'm a single mom, and my children (8 & 5) are too young to have the kinda cash it takes to take mom out to dinner. "No problem - I'll take them out! We'll spend some quality time together!"

See, today has been the worst Mother's Day I can remember. My sewer line is backed up, so we have no running Water until the plumber (who I can't afford) comes out on Monday. As for my own mom, I was too broke to afford her a nice gift. And a trip to my grandma's proved boring and smelled like old people.

But in my attempt to salvage a good Mother's Day experience, I figured I could frugally order one plate of fajitas and we'd all eat well. And what the hey - I'll put it on the AmEx!

So I chewed up a few chips (those free ones they evilly bring with salsa) until the fajitas arrived. I'm not sure if I didn't take small enough bites, or if I ate too fast, or if I didn't chew well enough, but I must've done something wrong - because what followed 3-4 small bites of fajitas was the worst experience of my life. And I, much like the thread starter of the post I'm about to ... post... was completely surprised that my "PB" came out in huge bubbles. liquids for the next 24 hours. Because that's really getting old.

At first, liquids were ok. It was like a challenge to see what kind of Protein Shake I could mix up today that will be tasty and good for me! LaTeeTah! Plus being on liquids sometimes felt like a detox. But NOW - I'm so over it.

And Fajitas!? NEVER again.

Seriously though, is my chest supposed to be a little sore after a PB?

Yeah, :glare:Taco Bell and I are no longer friends because of a burrito. We haven't been friends in almost a yr. I think it has to do with the wrap. I can eat hard shells if I break them up like Doritos. But I won't even try anything with a wrap now. I have my PB episodes. I have had a couple of really bad ones. But I think that was the worst one because it was my first one. It lasted for almost an hr. Like I said I have had some bad ones, the longest 1 lasted 3 hrs. I drank liquids for 2 days and mushies for 2 more days. Just don't be surprised if you have 1 after a fill on things you have been eating.

I am preband so I can't answer, but I just wanted to give you a great big hug ;) . Sorry things didn't turn out like you planned. I always figure if the actual holiday didn't work out, then it is an excuse for a do over! :unsure: And remember you are doing this so you can be a great Mom to your kids for many, many more years to come.

Happy Mother's Day!

I am just a few days post-op so I can't really feel your pain on the fajita problem but......

MY SEWER LINE IS BACK UP TOO!!!!!!!

I called a plumber and he said it would be $250-$350 minimum! The city has come out twice and said "not on our side, sorry buddy - your problem".

THAT makes for a crappy Mother's day.

I wont even get into how I feel about day 4 of a 14 day liquid diet that makes me walk around like a tiger ready to pounce all the time.

AND the fact that I leaned over and have a big sharp shooting pain in my side, near my port incision and there is nooo way I am going through surgery again if I messed up something!

So.

I feel your pain, fellow Single Mother.

I hope tomorrow is a better day. For both of our sanity's sake. ;)

You need to remember that a PB is not vomiting. It is regurgitation of food that didn't actually make it into your pouch. There is no stomach acid mixed in, no partially digested food, just what you just swallowed. If you chew your food well AND eat slowly, you shouldn't have stuck episodes or PBs .... but if you eat too fast and/or don't chew your food well enough, you could have that unpleasant experiance again. And eating slowly also means you will get the "full" signal and stop, rather than eating right past it, so that's an added benefit.

I PBd the first time because I waited too long to eat and then practically inhaled my food. Then my second PB was a totally unexpected thing ..... I ws eating mixed vegetables and it had those tiny corn ears in it. I cut it in half, and chewed it pretty well but I'm thinking it must have been too fibrous ... and stuck, and finally came back up (thank god).

Today for the first time since March 6, I questioned my decision to get the band. On previous occasions, I've felt a few hiccups with a little slime in the back of my throat. "O I've had too much to eat, I thought." Sometimes it was accompanied by a little pain in the chest that would pass in a few minutes.

Today, Mother's Day, of course, I found myself really wanting to go out to eat. I'm a single mom, and my children (8 & 5) are too young to have the kinda cash it takes to take mom out to dinner. "No problem - I'll take them out! We'll spend some quality time together!"

See, today has been the worst Mother's Day I can remember. My sewer line is backed up, so we have no running Water until the plumber (who I can't afford) comes out on Monday. As for my own mom, I was too broke to afford her a nice gift. And a trip to my grandma's proved boring and smelled like old people.

But in my attempt to salvage a good Mother's Day experience, I figured I could frugally order one plate of fajitas and we'd all eat well. And what the hey - I'll put it on the AmEx!

So I chewed up a few chips (those free ones they evilly bring with salsa) until the fajitas arrived. I'm not sure if I didn't take small enough bites, or if I ate too fast, or if I didn't chew well enough, but I must've done something wrong - because what followed 3-4 small bites of fajitas was the worst experience of my life. And I, much like the thread starter of the post I'm about to ... post... was completely surprised that my "PB" came out in huge bubbles. http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f9/pb-worse-experience-my-life-15400/

I had no idea this is what it would be like. And more than anything, I'm not very angry at myself or... the fajitas or... the band or... i don't know what!! But I'm mad that I have to be on liquids for the next 24 hours. Because that's really getting old.

At first, liquids were ok. It was like a challenge to see what kind of Protein shake I could mix up today that will be tasty and good for me! LaTeeTah! Plus being on liquids sometimes felt like a detox. But NOW - I'm so over it.

And Fajitas!? NEVER again.

Seriously though, is my chest supposed to be a little sore after a PB?

Bubbles... welcome to the world of foaming. Did you happen to feel a bit like a rabid dog? ;o)

It can happen during a stuck episode. Dr. Curry from the OH boards claims it is a combination of saliva and mucus. Regardless, it's gross. I know.

Liquids... another thing I don't miss about the band. Sorry this messed with your Mom's Day.

I know this is probably not going to sound as I intend it to, so here's my thoughts on your Mother's Day. To me it sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day. You were able to spend time with your kids and your grandmother and mother are still here to wish a happy Mother's Day too. As far as the PB episode - your band is working!! I can't find any good to your sewer problems, it's just life!!

I'm honestly not being unsympathetic, but my Mom passed away in December and this is my first Mother's Day without her. I would have given anything to be able to have called her on the phone and heard her voice or visited her and given her a big hug. Appreciate what you have - you sound very blessed.

You need to remember that a PB is not vomiting. It is regurgitation of food that didn't actually make it into your pouch.

Not quite. A true PB is a burp. You think you have air bubbles but when you burp "stuff" comes out instead of air. But many include vomiting pouch contents a PB. Potato/Pataaato.

The food most certainly does make it down to your pouch. A PB is barfing food in your pouch and not your lower stomach.

There is no stomach acid mixed in, no partially digested food, just what you just swallowed.

No, not quite. Stomach acid is produced in your pouch as well but it happens to pool at the bottom of your stomach. That's why if you PB you really need to brush your teeth well because your stomach acid can harm your teeth over time.

Now, usually a PB happens before the little bit of acid in your pouch has time to do anything so it does appear that it comes up exactly as it went down. The only reason I bring up this point is because of the tooth issue. There is acid in a PB and you should brush your teeth.

If you chew your food well AND eat slowly, you shouldn't have stuck episodes or PBs .... but if you eat too fast and/or don't chew your food well enough, you could have that unpleasant experiance again.

Again, not true. The pass through from your upper stomach to your lower stomach is verrrrry small, much smaller than you might imagine. MOST bandsters do not do soft white bread well and the reason is that when you chew bread and swallow it, it becomes something similar to a dough ball sitting on top of your stoma. There are foods some people do not tolerate because they have good restriction and they can't chew "X" food to a paste or liquid. Bread, eggs, steak, taffy, Gummy bears, dry chicken, etc. Some do well, others do not. There are people that get very tight for unknown reasons and slime/PB on liquids.

I know this is probably not going to sound as I intend it to, so here's my thoughts on your Mother's Day. To me it sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day. You were able to spend time with your kids and your grandmother and mother are still here to wish a happy Mother's Day too. As far as the PB episode - your band is working!! I can't find any good to your sewer problems, it's just life!!

I'm honestly not being unsympathetic, but my Mom passed away in December and this is my first Mother's Day without her. I would have given anything to be able to have called her on the phone and heard her voice or visited her and given her a big hug. Appreciate what you have - you sound very blessed.

I understand (and relate) to what you are writing but I also think that just because some of us don't have our Moms anymore doesn't mean those with their Moms should be thrilled that they have sewer problems they can't afford or that they were miserable while stuck, sliming, and puking. That's not a fun way to spend Mom's Day with or without your Mom.