Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am going to join when my doc clears me on 5/15/09 already went and did the tour and it looks great- and because of the lap band I get a discount- YIPPEE!!!! it works out to like 1 dollar a day and is right near my house.... Not crazy about the hours they have but I will manage...

I am looking forward to it... right now- Walking is boring...

I love it even when I was not dieting I lost weight and inches, I am one of those people though who is not in the best of shape maybe if I was it would not work as well for me. But I do love it.

I used "Contours" when I lived in the states. I preferred it to Curves, because you can adjust your own weights at Contours. You can't do that at Curves....Curves is a "one size fits all" concept of lifting weights. (unless Curves has changed since I lived there). I knew a few people that started out at Curves and it worked well for them, UNTIL they got to a point where their body needed more of a workout. That's when they switched to Contours.....adding more weights as your body is ready.

Curves is convenient because it seems that there is one on every street corner. Contours are fewer and further between....i always had to drive further to get to a Contours.

Sadly now, I can't join a gym....can't justify it when I have 3 dogs that need to be walked everyday. I'd feel guilty going to a gym to work out when they just adore going on walks.

I am a member but haven't been back for a while. I like the exercise routine. What I can't stand are the women who work there. I know it is their job to be 'motivating' but to me it really puts me off to have someone hovering over me smiling while I'm sweating my fat ass off 'YOU CAN DO IT! 1, 2....3......15! GREEEAT!". It bugs the hell out of me actually and I would go alot better without being zoomed into. I think if I had a personal trainer, I would punch them out.

I was a Curves member for 2 years prior to banding and I really like the concept. I'm one of those people who will work out, but doesn't enjoy it and prefers to chat with strangers instead of paying attention to sweating. That being said, I just joined another gym.

The big problem with Curves in my area is their hours. They seem to cater to non-working women. At my Curves, you have to start your workout by 6:15 pm. I couldn't possibly get home from work, make dinner for the family and get there in time. Also, the only weekend hours were 8-11 on Saturday. There was no way I could go 3 times a week with that schedule. My gym is only $20/month and it's open 24 hours a day. Also, they have an express workout area that is circuit training like Curves, but weight based instead of hydraulic. The only thing I'm missing is the chatting.

Cindy

So after reading this thread, I decided to go to lapbandjourney.com as was suggested by another poster. Made an account and signed up for the Curves discount. With 50% off of the registration fee, and a 10% discount off of monthly fees, my cost was only going to be $75 for registration and $26 bucks a month. My insurance reimburses $150 max per year for gym memberships.. so.. this is going to be a great deal for me! I am going to contact my local curves to see if they have any different discounts for lap-band patients, or even free registration.

With that price, I would definitely look into this ladies! Also, for those with insurance, there are a lot of insurance policies/companies that offer annual reimbursements for joining qualified fitness centers. For my employers choices, Coventry and BCBS offer these types of reimbursements. If you aren't sure if your insurance policy offers this benefit, don't hesitate to call and ask. Just additional motivation to join the gym if you are going to get a big chunk of money reimbursed!

Rachel