Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VENT HERE - anger about Katrina Relief

DeLarla

I am so sorry for these people. As a nurse and a mother, it just breaks my heart to see the suffering. However, I agree with mousecrazy and Kathy. There, I said it....shoot me. Thank you Kathy and mousecrazy for having the courage to go against what appears to be the status quo. Action-not excuses will get them through this. May God have mercy on us all.

Vines,

Yes, I hadn't thought of some of the reasons you gave I guess. I asked the question not to blame the victims but to get some insight as to why others think people stayed. Your points are well taken and appreciated.

Kathy, your comments about this being a safe place to post all of our different perspectives is right...I have read and pondered many statements made in this thread today, and have learned alot about point of view. I sure hate to see things relegated to race...that N.O. didn't receive help due the victims being black. The thought that comes to my mind on the racial aspect of the relief effort is that it could have validity, if we find that all the white victims, and destroyed cities (whose residents were mostly white or asian or hispanic) along the coast received better and faster aid from the federal governement. Does anyone have proof of this? I know it will be hard to find out, because the media is focusing on the biggest disaster in N.O., but we owe it ourselves to find out. Another stumbling block for the speed of the relief effort can be found in gov't. regulations regarding trucking/transportation, oil refinery restrictions, and a myriad of other laws passed for our "own good." Many of these had to be waived so we could deal with this disaster. Whether we like it or not, oil and the flow of it throughout our country is extremely important...what would happen to our country economically without it? This would be a financial disaster of the worst kind...companies/corporations would not be able to manufacture good, the goods could not be shipped around the country...nevermind to the rest of the world. The employees of these businesses would lose their jobs. No or extremely expensive air transportation...no replacement parts for our cars...empty shelves at the grocery store...well, it would be a disaster. So, when the president reassures the nation that oil flow will not be seriously interrupted, I wouldn't take it as a crass and unfeeling statement. His duties and obligations are to the safety of the country, all of it, and even when it might not seem relevant, you will find that it just may be, if you stop to think things through. It is natural and our first inclination to respond to tragedy in an emotional manner; my heart breaks and there are tears in my eyes at the destruction, death, and pain I see. Let's take time to understand it all, before we indict either the victims or the helpers...and understand also that this is one huge disaster, and some things just cannot be perfectly planned. Shoot, I can know all the possibilities of mistakes any time I make a decision, and still make a big mistake...can you imagine having to be perfect?

I will post this and I am through with this thread. My opinion is exactly that my opinion! It may not be right to some but it is my opinion and I am entitled to say or believe anything I choose. We all have opinions and every opinion is an opinion, not Fact. We all don't have the facts as to why it took so long for aid. When race is brought up in an issue it is always looked upon as an excuse. I don't know what world some of you are living in but here is a news flash racism does exist. We all know it does but some of us push it under the rug. Personally,I don't think this situation has to do with race just lack of organization by the government. If the government is not supposed to act in emergencies then why in the world do we have FEMA? My reality ladies is that I saw thousands of black people stranded on rooftops and in unsanitary conditions. Maybe the media chose not to show the white people I saw a few. Maybe the media is to blame. Maybe it is a conspiracy to help the democrats in the elections coming up. I speak for myself I did not vote for Bush but I respect him as president. I think the ball was dropped period. If it was thousands of white people stranded I would have the same reaction too slow of a response. Some people will use the race issue for their own agenda be it against the government or for it. I have been black for 36 years racism does exist. Hide from it if you will but it is here. Yes it is in local, state and federal government. If you are proud of the response the president gave then be proud, but if it was u stranded for 4 days without the basic neccessities, children getting raped, elderly dying all around you would you think the timing was good. I don't think so. There but for the grace of God go I.

This is not a race issue, this is the media hyping it up. Where is the media coverage of St Bernards parish, Blackmans Parish and several other parsihes in LA and parts of Mississippi which are prodimentaly white. In all of these places there are peopole who are still stranded in the rubble of their homes and have gone without Water or food for days and have lost everything , they may have not had the flooding like New Orleans but their homes have been reduced to sticks. It makes me sick to even hear race be an issue , this is a humanity issue Period!

I didn't vote for Bush myself, and have found fault with many of his policies, so I won't be defending him here. He in my opinion didn't act as I would expect my leader to act. He did not immediatly postpone the rest of his vacation or immediatly start reaching out to the people and making sure the necessary military got into place. Maybe he isn't the person that actually physically does these things, but he is the figure head that most americans look to when things happen. I do not deny the president a vacation, but part of the position of president is being always on duty...always on call.

I am so sadden that in the United States of America it takes four days to get food and Water dropped to people in a disaster area. There is NO excuse for this. I too at first fussed, why didn't these people leave....if you listen to some of their stories, you find out some of them did try to leave, but couldn't.

I have sat huddled on my couch watching as babies and children are sitting in trash and filth. It looks like another country not the USA. I've seen the looters. I think what should have happen is military should have been in place the day after and distributing any salvagable food and waters from shops while being in place to stop looters of other stuff. Its not like these shops are going to able to salvage any of that food anyway. Maybe I think too simply.

What about all the people that did evacuate like they were told. They are being turned away from some shelters. I know if I had to evacuate right now from my home, I could not afford to stay more than a week in a hotel and take care of all the needs of my family with the money that sits in my bank right now. And I don't even consider myself poor....just average. Now think of people that barely have enough money to feed their families from week to week. How are they suppouse to stay anywhere without money. These people had the choice of going to the shelter, where they couldn't lug all the food or supplies that might have on hand, or stay in a home that they know, with supplies that they may have there. I hope I never have to make the decision myself.

I personally am gathering school supplies and clothes for when the evacuees end up here. Thats all I can do at the moment.

Melissa

Dee Dee. I recognize that racism does, indeed, still exist in this country. It's pitiful and disgusting and unacceptable.

What I do not believe is that someone, anyone, decided NOT to rescue people because they are black. It's a human issue, and this has been blown up by the media, but some choose to believe the rhetoric that race was/is a deciding factor in how to handle this rescue. I simply find it amazing that anyone can believe that the government, the president, the authorities in general would leave these poor people to rot there simply because they are black, or poor, for that matter. Insinuating that it might be so is a far cry from recognizing legitimate race issues in this country.

All are important. All opinions are important. I may disagree with many views here, but I respect other points of view and fully support each person's right to express it. Even Michael Moore. I can't stand anything he says. But he has the right to say it. I have the right to disagree, oppose it, whatever. This thread was started by DeLovely DeLarla as a place to vent our feelings about the Relief Efforts surrounding the hurricane. We have done that, with all our hearts and emotions and even our best efforts to contain ourselves, our shock, our grief, our sadness.

This is supposed to be a healing thread, I think, and maybe I should have stayed out of it or started my own "opposing viewpoint" thread. I'm fairly certain I was the first to post any type of dissenting point of view from what I was reading on the first few pages. This topic is just as passionate for me as it is for everyone who felt the need to post here. No hard feelings. Just united in grief and support for those who are suffering.

Kathy I too believe this is not a race issue. I believe it is a human issue as I posted in my earlier thread. I have to defend my belief because my family thinks it is a race issue. I don't think so. My point is it was still a too slow repsonse. The National Guard are a godsend, The calvary all of these brave men are doing a great job! we as a nation need to vent and where I can see both sides, Michael Moore is to me an agitator. He is gonna ride this wave as far as it can go. Many people with the help of the media is making this a race issue and I as a black american don't like it. I hurt for the elderly and the children the most because they had no choice. Yeah some of them should have gotten out and they chose not to. Children are suffering and the elderly and sick are dying even after being rescued. I debated in high school and to me this is just a debate or discussion. There are no hard feelings and you have every right to express your feelings on this. I have read other posts that you have written on different threads and I can tell that you are a genuine person. You are an encourager and motivator. We all will have opposing views but that is where it ends. I think alot of frustration I have is from being on this liquid diet! LOL I want to chew, I want steak

I don't think it's a race issue either. I think it's an INFLUENCE issue. I don't think it is any leap of imagination to say that the governor of Florida currently has more influence with the Whitehouse than the governor of Louisiana.

I really don't understand how our system could be so unprepared for something like this. When there are practically weekly alerts of possible terrorist attacks how can there be so little infrastructure in place for a disaster of nature?

We can only hope that this will serve as a warning & our government will get an effective relief system in place. At the very least, let this horrible loss of life and suffering teach us something!

I have a cousin in the parish of Bernard. Her sister tried to talk her into evacuating to stay with us in California before the Hurricane hit, but she didn't want to leave her two dogs. They are part wolfe and no airline would let her take them. No one has heard from her yet. Among your prayers & healing energy, please throw some in for Theresa Ann.

Thanks.

You know, there are over 100 square miles of devastaion. And flooded to boot. America has never dealt with this.

How are they suppose to get all the stuff to the ones that need it? Where are they going to put it, in the Water. They have to work on the outskirts of things.

Don't get me wrong, of course there has been mistakes.

And you know, there wasn't suppose to be that many people there, even though they knew some would stay, I just don't think they ever imagined the numbers. At first glance a few thousand, but within time people kept coming out from where they were taking shelter and it was gigantic numbers.

I think the gov. just had no clue on how many people stayed behind.

Everybody was told to evacuate and some given help to get out. They were told up to 4 days in advance. I think everybody was in denial and never could of imagined the impact and the levy breaking. I know it was a poor area, but all the more to stay and protect your stuff.

We had a sunami warning here about 2 months ago in San Diego and I think my family, out of my whole housing track, was the only family that evacuated. There are about 100 houses here in my immediate track. They finally withdrew the warning, but we stayed gone for the hours predicted.

And the Sunami over seas took days to get food and relief to them, not hours. The coast gaurd was removing dead bodies for over 3 months from the Water. 3 months. Its all a process.

I just think we are Americans and expect instant satisfaction.

9/11 was isolated in 4 areas and easier to deal with.

My heart and prayers go out to all the victims of this devastating event.

And all the mayham of the shootings, rapes, etc. did not help. One guy on the phone from one of the hosp. while stuck, said they had to form their own gov't inside. They didnt have a choice.

And regarding all the violence, the stories are coming from people witnessing them. This is the perfect set up for law breakers. How are they going to get caught.? Whos going to stop them. They feel its a free for all and taking advantage. One lady said 2 children were rapped in the bathroom at the dome and one man said as his sick daughter was being flown to another hosp, he had to try to get out of the city by himself. He couldnt ride in the helicopter. As he was leaving the city, many women were getting rapped and he just had to keep going. How sad these stories are, but preditors will take advantage no matter who they are. Race or economics.

I think I worry more about 2 to 3 months down the line than anything immediate. When everybody moves on with their lives and they are still in need and the donations stop rolling in I worry about a home for them, a job for them, shoes on their feet to go get a job. I think America needs to set everyone up for living for at least 6 months, because its the right thing.

I think we need to focus on how to keep the help going for a long period of time.

Anyways, these are my thoughts.

Although I am one of the members with dissenting views, I agree with divaliciousdee: no hostility on any personal level. In fact, she and I have something in common: we were both debaters (high school, for me)! Let's all do what we can to help these families right now, and for the long-term, because they are going to need all of our help. There's a lot of displaced workers, and maybe some of us have the option of providing jobs. Fill backpacks with school supplies, contact your local churches, your local shelters, food banks, organizations...make those phonecalls, Let's get to work! Love to all, Cindy

I say pull all of our trips home from outside the USA and put them to work in the gulf states doing clean up, assisting with evacuation and medical needs and defending our American people!

As I type this my husband is at the pharmacy where he works filling prescriptions (on his day off), free of charge and gathering a list of over-the-countner medications for the Red Cross. We have MANY MANY evacuees in our town and he said that there are busses bringing in 900 more this afternoon and evening. (We are in Texarkana, AR/TX)

Whether you are close enough to help physically or not you can make a donation, no matter how small. It will be used in GREAT ways! Either donate to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, your local church or wherever you can. Donate blood if you can.

I know this is a great place to vent but if this is all we do about it then we are not doing enough! These people are desparate and need our help!

Thanks! I just had to vent!

Cheri, Texarkana USA

I say pull all of our trips home from outside the USA and put them to work in the gulf states doing clean up, assisting with evacuation and medical needs and defending our American people!

Pam, I luv ya, girl, but I disagree. I don't think that is a good solution at all, and explaining why is a whole 'nuther thread. However, we do have many thousands of people without jobs or homes, with the health and strength to work, and we have an entire swathe of devastated land that needs cleaning and rebuilding. Unless someone can tell me why this wouldn't work...giving jobs and housing to victims to work with the clean-up efforts...I think that's a great way to make it happen. didn't someone mention this already?

Dee Dee, thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it. Alot. The liquid phase is only a short part of your weight loss journey. You WILL chew again, I promise! But when you are in the middle of it, yeah, it can get bad.

i2candoit (in my mind I call you 2canoe...huh?) you make some very very good points. Well written. And Kare, I agree that we can assume that the governor of Florida currently has more influence with the White House than the Governor of Louisiana. Point taken. BUT, I don't think LA got less than FL would have or ever has received in the area of disaster relief simply because Bush is related. See some of the points i2candoit made above about the vastness and severity of this disaster. And also, we are a week into the disaster, not months and years from it. This will take time, is taking time, and it's very hard to watch while people are suffering.

I took Debate in college. I hated it. It was stressful, not fun, kind of pointless since anyone can make any arguement sound great with any set of statistics from anywhere from anytime. I suppose I like discussion better. I hate that I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I just couldn't. I couldn't just see where this thread was headed and not state my opinion. I re-read occasionally and am able to justify butting in. I'm sorry.

Kare, I'll be thinking of your cousin Theresa Ann as I continue to await word from my friends Alan, Marian, and Theresa. Let us know when you hear something, as I will. (((((((HUGS)))))))))) everybody.

The Governor of Lousiana knew alot of the people had no means of getting out and when she made it a mandatory evacuation she should of gotten the buses in there then instead of after the fact.