Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spent weekend in hospital with blood clot

Well that was fun - not. I was banded on April 9th and it went great. About a week later though I was having intense back pain and trouble breathing. Went to the ER Friday and they found a small clot in my right lung. So I spent Friday and Saturday in the hospital and am now on blood thinners for 6 months.

The good thing was we caught it early and it was small. I'm feeling much better now though my back still hurts a small amount but that's getting better. My band itself is fine, the incisions are healing great, I'm on full liquids now and let me tell you those creamy Soups are awesome! Weight loss stopped at 19 pounds but I'm not worried about that. With the surgery and then the blood clot and my period deciding that all this was to stressful and so not coming yet (and no there's no way I'm preggers) I'm feeling a bit bloated. Though I'm pretty sure the inches are coming off still.

Anyway - if you have ANY trouble breathing, any pain when you breath, do not hesitate to go get it checked! Clots are no fun!

i can empathize with you there. I ended up in the hospital 3 years ago with a clot in my arm that went from my elbow to my shoulder. That was without any surgery or anything, come to find out I have an autoimmune thing that makes me prone to clotting. So for this surgery I had to take extra precautions. I had the usual heparin dose that everyone gets when they go into surgery and then I also had Lovenox injections the whole time I was in the hospital and as soon as I came home I was to start taking my aspirin again. Well I wish you good luck and a speedy recovery. Coumadin for 6 months is no fun. I am hoping that the aspirin works for me or I have to do coumadin for the rest of my life and that would really suck.

Yep I'm doing the Lovenox injections now (do them myself at home) and will be on the coumadin. So I'll have to be careful but ah well. I'll work itself out. I hope your asprin works for you!

how scary for you! I am glad you are home safe and sound. Thanks for the heads up I will be sure to not dismiss all pain as "normal"

Yep I'm doing the Lovenox injections now (do them myself at home) and will be on the coumadin. So I'll have to be careful but ah well. I'll work itself out. I hope your asprin works for you!

I remember when I had to give them to myself. And I am needle phobic. it was the hardest thing i ever had to do...LOL. And they burned like hell too. I dont remember them burning so much when they gave them to me at the hospital this time, maybe because I was on pain meds...oh well who knows.

So sorry to hear about your experience with the blood clot! Thank goodness you caught it early and are on the right track :smile2:treating it now. I am glad you are home now and doing better. Thanks for the warning, I had surgery on the 16th and will watch for any difficulty with breathing. Hope you are feeling better soon!

I am glad you are ok.

My doctor highly recomends the IVC filter (which I just had done) to catch clots.

I am having my surgery wednesday and I will have to do 20 days of lovenox injections.

We have to keep the filter in for 2 months. When he removes it he will check for any clots. If he sees any then we have to do coumadin for 6 months.

They haven't put me back on my asprin yet but I'm taking an anticlot medication Arixtra I've been giving them to myself since Friday when my other half went back on theroad after being off a week to take care of me. I hate needles also but they haven't been to bad they just hurt a lot after, tomorrow is my last shot...YEAH!!

I did not require a filter due I thnk to being on asprin and Plavix.

There's a test that tells you whether the aspirin is working... it's called AspirinWorks. here's more info:

www.aspirinworks.com

Thanks for the info. I will mention it to my rheumatologist at my next visit. I work in a hospital lab and I have never heard of it, so I will check with our reference lab where we send our tests that we do not do in house and see if they perform the test. I sure hope it works for me, I really do not want to be on coumadin for the rest of my life. My surgeon did actually talk about putting in an IVC filter during the surgery but I did not really want one and I think he forgot about it so I was happy.