Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

traveling back to original surgeon for band removal

I'm now planning to travel to another state to have my band removed. :rolleyes2:

The airline, motel rates & misc. expenses are still not as expensive as the exorbitant (out of network) rates wanted in Phoenix or Scottsdale.

The original surgeon there is covered 100% by both my insurances so I have no out of pocket expenses but the ones mentioned.

I hope each of you have continuing success.:crying:

Why do you have to have a removal?

I had investigated gastric bypass in 1999 & again in 2002 but it wasn't a risk I was willing to take at that time. The complications with bypass for someone with Lupus were

astoundingly bad.

I was actually doing better on my own with Portion Control & exercise had successfully lost from 406 in January 2007 to 346 in August 2007. I was continuing to lose weight but was HUNGRY all the time.

I had a friend go to a lap band seminar in June of 2007 & told me all the WONDERFUL things they learned. I went to a seminar in July 2007. I felt that having the lapband surgery would give me another TOOL in my arsenal for my battle with weight. I scheduled my appointment the night of the seminar but with insurance approval I didn't

have the surgery until August. My rheumatologist warned me about lupus complications even with the band but approved me for surgery at my insistence. My mistake!

I flew through the surgery without a glitch & only MINIMAL pain. I did however have a big adjustment with lap band eating. It was awful for me not being

able to drink with a meal or immediately after meals. Dietary restrictions of band eating turned out to not be compatible with my personal needs. I prefer having salad first & be able to mix Protein & vegetables. My blood sugar is more even with I have six very SMALL meals rather than three moderately small meals.

I continued exercising by walking 10,000 steps a day without fail & riding the exercycle for 25 to 30 minutes daily. I lost gradually to 271 in August 2008.

After a few months, my port began to protrude & be

extremely painful. I continued to lose & reached 261 before I couldn't stand to touch my own port area. Sadly I put weight back on because I couldn't have even an elastic waistband touch my skin.

I've had it for 1 1/2 years & am tired of having constant EXCRUCIATING pain in the port. Because of the pain I am restricted in the exercises I can do & quite frankly miss

them...especially the abs workouts.

I was warned about risk but stubbornly had it installed. I continued to see the surgeon & he was wonderful. I had a CT scan to determine if my body was rejecting the port & while there was some slight inflammation, he didn't believe it was infected. He thought the port might need to be relocated.

I gained back up to 300 pounds just to be able to 'pad' the port & be able to tolerate the slightest touch anywhere near it. He gave me a cortisone injection in the area surrounding the port. It helped for a few days until the numbing agent wore off. I'd planned to get another in October 2008, by then my weight was up to 320 & I was embarrassed to go in since the first shot didn't really help. I moved away from the area in November

By January 2009 I gained to 333. Needless to say I was very disappointed in myself. Now I'm unhappy after having pain as a CONSTANT companion for 1 1/2 years.

I'm looking for a surgeon in AZ or NV to remove the whole thing but finding it a difficult process. The one I visited in Phoenix wanted $1,600 for 'out of network' expenses & I paid a non-refundable $500 cash to have him scare me out of my mind with a potential

'disaster' scare story. I had an egd & there were no leaks or erosion (mild gastritis) but he wanted the full balance before he'd operate. I wrote a personal check the day prior to surgery but that wouldn't work for their 'office policy'. I cancelled the surgery because it seemed the primary concern was MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!! I felt as if my well being took second place to the $$$ discussion.

To have the lap band surgery initially, my insurance covered EVERYTHING except co-pay and Medicare picked up that.

I was doing better on my own with diet & exercise & in retrospect, I realize that hunger was simply 'fat burning' off my body & a good thing, not something to AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

By exercising my legs in the hot tub, walking & riding the bike 15 to 20 minutes a day, I'm back down to 316.

I hope to find a surgeon nearby that won't be so focussed on the financing.

It's not that I don't HAVE the money, it's a matter of principle with me to have my health as a doctor's

priority. I'm now investigating the expense of returning to WA to the original surgeon.

I have ZERO fill in my band now which helped a lot with the ongoing gas pains! Other than when I have the flu & have to vomit, I have no eating restriction at all. It's painful to throw up because even with only the band in

place there's still a minor restriction.

I eagerly await being able to have this reversal done & recognize NOW that hunger is a GOOD thing for me. I learned it's all about mindset anyway.

I'm thrilled to read & hear all the success stories & know it makes a lot of people healthier. I wish them all the best. I'm just ready to correct my error of judgment.

"...behavior trumps biology when it comes to weight loss. Lifestyle change will always be the foundation of weight loss. Eating less and moving more are always the starting lineup, which remains a challenge for all of us." Madelyn Fernstrom, MD Health Journal