Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pureed foods...Pass them up?

I was banded on March 30th, 2009. I did the 10 day liquid diet after the surgery and graduated to the pureed stage. My first day on the pureed stage, I ate a small piece of fish (I'm allowed flaky white fish) and pureed squash.

It's been 4 days since I graduated, and I'm able to eat more solid foods. I haven't been trying to test the band, because I've never vomited or anything like that. I'm not eating anything crunchy, but for easter today, I had a small piece of meatloaf (about 3 inches worth), half of a tiny baked potato and some asparagus. I've also been working out everyday. I don't like the Protein drinks, so I've been making sure to get enough Protein through meats and veggies. I get full quickly and eat a fraction of what I used to eat.

I feel fine...Am I doing everything right? Shouldn't I feel sick, or is my stomach just tolerating everything quicker? Since I'm not eating completely pureed foods, is this going to mess me up?

Could you please tell me how to make it through the liquid diet? I am starving. I currently weigh 218. I had surgery this past Thursday the 9th of April.

Thanks for any comments,

LivinWithFaith/KY:blink:

I was banded on March 30th, 2009. I did the 10 day liquid diet after the surgery and graduated to the pureed stage. My first day on the pureed stage, I ate a small piece of fish (I'm allowed flaky white fish) and pureed squash.

It's been 4 days since I graduated, and I'm able to eat more solid foods. I haven't been trying to test the band, because I've never vomited or anything like that. I'm not eating anything crunchy, but for easter today, I had a small piece of meatloaf (about 3 inches worth), half of a tiny baked potato and some asparagus. I've also been working out everyday. I don't like the Protein drinks, so I've been making sure to get enough Protein through meats and veggies. I get full quickly and eat a fraction of what I used to eat.

I feel fine...Am I doing everything right? Shouldn't I feel sick, or is my stomach just tolerating everything quicker? Since I'm not eating completely pureed foods, is this going to mess me up?

Winkie, I was told to avoid asparagus as it could cause a stuck episode...seems it has a lot of Fiber in it. But if it didn't bother you, then I guess you're okay. I did 10 days of liquid post-op and then to mushie food... cream Soups, yogurts and stuff like that and after a week I was to add "normal" food as I felt comfortable with it. Sounds like you're okay.

Could you please tell me how to make it through the liquid diet? I am starving. I currently weigh 218. I had surgery this past Thursday the 9th of April.

Thanks for any comments,

LivinWithFaith/KY:blink:

Hi LivinWithFaith/KY!

The thing that helped me out with the liquid diet was to stay at home. I didn't have to go to work, so I was never tempted. I never got really hungry...Not physically. All of my hunger was head hunger. I was so tired of the Clear liquids and juices. I HATED the Protein shakes. If it's alright with your doctor, try having clear Soups. My mother made tortilla Soup and drained all of the real food out of it, and I had the broth. As long as you flavor your broths, you'll stay satisfied. My head hunger sucks...I had DREAMS that I ate all of the pastries at a Starbucks pastry counter, and of gourging myself on pizza. This is normal, and you should expect to have these. Just keep having faith in yourself, and you'll make it through. :-)

The point is to protect your band and allow yourself time to heal. Goodness...you can be doing damage and not know it but 6 months or a year (or whenever) will be on here posting you've slipped or have an erosion and wondering why on earth it happened to you! PLEASE...follow your doc's instructions. You got to where you are today by doing what you think is right; it's time to let your doc guide you for a while.

Call tomorrow, say what you've been eating. He may tell you fine! He may want to do tests. Let the pro guide you through this. Stomachs churn to digest (and no we don't feel it, but it happens)...so you may be shaking things loose without ever knowing it.

Thanks for the input! Today was really hard especially at our family Easter dinner, but I pulled through. I did not think it would be this hard though. I thought the band would help keep me from getting hungry. I drink clear broth and 2 hours later I am starving again. I am just going to have to learn how to cope with this.

Thanks so much for your help,

LivinWithFaith/KY

Hi LivinWithFaith/KY!

The thing that helped me out with the liquid diet was to stay at home. I didn't have to go to work, so I was never tempted. I never got really hungry...Not physically. All of my hunger was head hunger. I was so tired of the Clear Liquids and juices. I HATED the Protein shakes. If it's alright with your doctor, try having clear Soups. My mother made tortilla Soup and drained all of the real food out of it, and I had the broth. As long as you flavor your broths, you'll stay satisfied. My head hunger sucks...I had DREAMS that I ate all of the pastries at a Starbucks pastry counter, and of gourging myself on pizza. This is normal, and you should expect to have these. Just keep having faith in yourself, and you'll make it through. :-)

Winkiespleen,

Thank you for your post, I have also been experiencing what you speak of. That is.....wanting to go to my favorite restaurant and ordering my special menu item. However, I have been steady on my program. But the thoughts have not gone away. I was banned on April 7th, and have been on this liquid diet for three weeks now (2 weeks pre-oper and one week post). I am soooo ready for soft mushy foods, I dream of a scrambled egg with hot sauce.

Again, thanks for your post, it helped me to know that I am not the only one with this experience.

Thanks!!

Faith, you can drink whatever is on your list whenever you want it while you are on the liquids portion of your diet. This isn't a time for weight loss, but a time for healing. The only hints I can offer are these: Ignore the broth in cans and boxes that you buy in the grocery store. Buy a chicken. Put the chicken in a large pot and cover with Water. add a bay leaf, an onion quartered (you don't even have to peel it), some carrots and celery. Season it with salt and pepper and even a little garlic powder. Cook it until the chicken is falling off the bones. Strain off everything. What you get is a rich tasty stock that will be more enjoyable. You can also cook a roast the same way and get wonderful beek stock. How many days since surgery? At 10 days I was advanced to mushy foods, which included low fat cottage cheese, low fat sugar free yogurt, cream Soups, runny mashed potatoes and some other yummy things, LOL.

You are in bandster hell right now .... hungry enough to eat anything and in large quantities. This is the hardest part of the whole lap band journey. The time between surgery and your first fill seems like it will go on forever. I gained and lost 3 pounds three or four times during that month. But you're making the transition from liquids to mushies to "real" food and you just have to go with it.

I guess I've not really been that good at sticking with liquid foods and I may pay for it later. I swore that I would adhere to everything he said strictly but then I had a few things and I was okay. I have not had ANY real food, but have had mushies that would not go up a straw. Bad of me and I am starting to worry now. Am on day 12 of post-op anyway so probably not too much point in worrying, can just make sure I stay on mushies for the full four weeks and be a good girl!!:thumbdown:

There is another posting (I am not sure what it is titled) that gave a great example of a variety of mushy foods- I think part of the problem is that you are on liquids for so long you long for somthing to chew or taste different.

I was just banded 4/2/09 and this past weekend introduced mashed potatoes and some scrambled eggs- they went well- For the week I have also purchased grits, oatmeal, yogurts, thicker Soups, and some sauce (tomatoe) with ricotta and mozzerella cheese to put on it as well as refried Beans and cheese- Just to add variety to not get "burnt out" but still sticking to dr's orders..... Good luck!

Faith, you can drink whatever is on your list whenever you want it while you are on the liquids portion of your diet. This isn't a time for weight loss, but a time for healing. The only hints I can offer are these: Ignore the broth in cans and boxes that you buy in the grocery store. Buy a chicken. Put the chicken in a large pot and cover with Water. add a bay leaf, an onion quartered (you don't even have to peel it), some carrots and celery. Season it with salt and pepper and even a little garlic powder. Cook it until the chicken is falling off the bones. Strain off everything. What you get is a rich tasty stock that will be more enjoyable. You can also cook a roast the same way and get wonderful beek stock. How many days since surgery? At 10 days I was advanced to mushy foods, which included low fat cottage cheese, low fat sugar free yogurt, cream Soups, runny mashed potatoes and some other yummy things

I lived on this type of full of flavor broth during my 4 week pre-post op liquids. You feel like you are getting real food because you can taste the full bodied flavor (as opposed to what you buy as broth from the store). If you are past the clear liquid stage, you can take the veggies from the strainer and blend them and add back to the broth, just be sure to strain the broth again to be sure you didn't miss any chunks. This makes the broth seem thicker and creamier even without any cream...

Thanks for the advice. The chicken broth sounds yummy!

I am on day 6 now.

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL DAY !!!:(

Faith

Faith, you can drink whatever is on your list whenever you want it while you are on the liquids portion of your diet. This isn't a time for weight loss, but a time for healing. The only hints I can offer are these: Ignore the broth in cans and boxes that you buy in the grocery store. Buy a chicken. Put the chicken in a large pot and cover with Water. add a bay leaf, an onion quartered (you don't even have to peel it), some carrots and celery. Season it with salt and pepper and even a little garlic powder. Cook it until the chicken is falling off the bones. Strain off everything. What you get is a rich tasty stock that will be more enjoyable. You can also cook a roast the same way and get wonderful beek stock. How many days since surgery? At 10 days I was advanced to mushy foods, which included low fat cottage cheese, low fat sugar free yogurt, cream Soups, runny mashed potatoes and some other yummy things, LOL.

You are in bandster hell right now .... hungry enough to eat anything and in large quantities. This is the hardest part of the whole lap band journey. The time between surgery and your first fill seems like it will go on forever. I gained and lost 3 pounds three or four times during that month. But you're making the transition from liquids to mushies to "real" food and you just have to go with it.