Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Victorious Valentines - Feb. 08 - MASTER THREAD!

Oh yes definitely it’s before my appointment. My doctor and nutritionist do not like the liquids only approach. I agree to an extent. If it helps to curb the sugar demon and to maybe loosen up the swelling/tightness then I’m all for it. Now if you’re doing liquids on a daily then I say no way!

Monitor me please! Sometimes I forget who’s going to get hurt the most if I don’t pay attention to what’s going on with my band. Sometimes I like to pretend it doesn’t exist. Sad to say it but it’s true.

Thank you taps for keeping me straight. I do promise though that if my liquids and my nutritionist and eating habit changes don’t work out then I’ll go get some more unfilled. And when I say eating habits, I mean – eating too fast, eating too late, taking too big of bites and probably even eating too much. In reality I should be able to eat most anything I want. At least that’s what my surgeon tells me. He said I might need to eat some things more carefully but I should still be able to eat things like meat, breads, etc. He’s very conservative. I mean VERY conservative!

Hang in there taps! I feel you girl! It’s so hard to get back from taking even a little time off. I have faith in ya!

Holy smokes! Everybody has been so busy since I checked in last. It so totally sucks not having the internet at home, hopefully soon.

Okay where to begin? Ezma, your analogy of the weight loss being at the tip of your tongue rings so true! As for your son, I don't have kids so I can't give advice from a "parent" point of view. However I so happen to work in women's health with the midwives. As far as pregnant 14 year olds, not too often. It tends to be more around 16 on up. From what I've observed over the years is the ones who end up pregnant or with an STD at a young age didn't have a parent that was as involved, wasn't open to talk to. You would definately have to go to him to talk about it and let him know he can always talk to you about it (sex). Unfortunately you can't be with him every minute and control his every move, so the best you can do is advise him. First of all not to be in a hurry. Wait for someone special. Teach him all the rsponsibilities of sex, not only pregnancy, but the biggest thing is the STD's. Chlamydia and herpes really seem to show up often. herpes is not curable. And no birth control is 100% effective, so tell him not to let any girl trick him with that one, that seems to be the main way guys get tricked. And of course tell him to use a condom everytime. I even work with some people who have brought home condoms, gave them to their kids and was like I'm not telling you to have sex it's best to wait, but if you do please use one of these. Because in reality most teenagers are too embarrassed to buy condoms.But of course you have to decide what you think is the best way to handle this. I'm just sharing what I've observed over the years with teen pregnancies.

And congrats on the weight loss, when it's without effort it's like a nice surprise like Christmas!

Lil'missdiva-Thank you for reassuring me about being on pause. It sounds like it would be a good idea to put the sleeve off for awhile maybe a year or two. Do the best you can with the band, and maybe by then insurance will cover it. If you actually save all the money it would cost and they do cover it you have a nice little nest egg saved. :)

But I would definately try not to eat too close to bedtime. I know that can be a killer for me too. Start being more careful with eating-speed, not too big of bites, amount etc. And see if that helps you feel better. But if you're still totally miserable then have the unfill. My surgeon says to chew everything to "apple sauce like consistancy". So CHEW CHEW CHEW and CHEW some more. Frankly sometimes you just tired of chewing and then you stop eating, so your portions are much less.

Tap don't feel bad about the five pounds, like lilmissdiva said, I can do that in one "bad weekend" as well.

and the comment of the SWEETS MONSTER being like Jason was halarious! It is exactly like that! :biggrin:

As for myself, I'm trying a new approach, I'm working out, trying to avoid sweets, AKA Jason, and certainly trying to avoid sodas. The difference is I'm not going to weigh myself for a long time. That will be hard, but sometimes I lose my motivation when the scale isn't moving as quickly as I'd like. Okay girls, I think I wrote more than anyone really cares to read.

baby steps....

My doctor and nutritionist do not like the liquids only approach. I agree to an extent. If it helps to curb the sugar demon and to maybe loosen up the swelling/tightness then I’m all for it. Now if you’re doing liquids on a daily then I say no way!

Monitor me please!

In reality I should be able to eat most anything I want. At least that’s what my surgeon tells me. He said I might need to eat some things more carefully but I should still be able to eat things like meat, breads, etc.!

No problem with me monitoring you, LilMiss. I'm great at helping others...helping myself though is always another story!!

I have to say that yes, I can eat anything...it isn't any food that gives me grief. It is totally 100% absolutely HOW I eat...eating too fast, first bite gulping, eating too much, eating high fat foods, etc. But I've yet to meet a food I couldn't eat since being banded. bread takes me a little longer, but doesn't stop me - nor rice, or roast beef or ....

Teach him all the rsponsibilities of sex, not only pregnancy, but the biggest thing is the STD's. Chlamydia and herpes really seem to show up often. herpes is not curable. And no birth control is 100% effective

I'm not going to weigh myself for a long time. That will be hard, but sometimes I lose my motivation when the scale isn't moving as quickly as I'd like.

Jul - Though sex advice is great. It really is the STD's that are under-reported and certainly not recognized for the significant health risk that they are. But whereas teenage sexual activity may be regretable, the STD's can be long-lasting and health compromising decades later.

Not weighing yourself sounds like a good strategy. I don't have the problem as I don't own scales, never liked scales and only used the ones at the Y or the clinic. But I can see how (and have read of people) who become obsessed with the numbers and that just cannot be healthy or helpful.

Well ladies, we are missing the updates from some of our regulats...where are you????

As for me, fall has arrived - in the form of a wind and rain storm last night, and cooler temperatures. Frost is forecasted for this weekend...time to get out the winter woolies!!!

Jul, I totally agree with waiting on the sleeve! Yes, it very well could be that it is covered down the line. My insurance only started covering the band but a few years before I got it, so you never can tell.

Good idea about the scales. I'm just the opposite... if I'm not weighing I'm being bad. It's the morning kick in the *** I need to have a good day. Everyone is different though, and you need to do whatever keeps you on track!! Hugs!

I do like the idea of the nestegg too! T’would be very twerrific!! Lol

Taps, it’s cold here too! I’m going out for my morning walk and I’m going to have to bring the ole sweater along. Not used to the whole bundling up idea yet, but I don’t want to freeze my Buns off! Or maybe I do? LOL

So VV’s I’m going to be good now. Yep, gonna get back to being a good Diva and losing that weight. Boy I sure would just like to finally get into onederland. I was close at one point. Maybe it scared me? Don’t know but that’s neither here nor there! The fact is I dug myself a hole but I can get myself out. I just need to stop the back and forth and just move forth.

So, where the heck is everyone? Hellooooooo??? We’re missing you in here!!

Morning everyone! I hope to see some more people posting today...I'm missing all the news!!!

Another breezy, cool morning - and they are forecasting frost by the weeks end...brrrrrrrrr.

I've been back 3 full days since my holidays, and each day I have TRIED to get back to being a good bandster...bah!! Monday it was applecake, Tuesday it was cheese ( a lot, and full fat real cheese), and last night I had a bowl of raisin Cereal AFTER supper, and then when I was roaming around at 230am, I had 1/2 bag of peanuts.................ARGHHHHH!!:redface::mad2:

I guess I am going to have to give in and get a small fill because obviously I have no self control! I won't be able to arrange that though for a few weeks, so until then I wonder - can I staple my mouth????:wink2:

How is everyone else doing????

Good morning taps and all my VV’s.

Taps, I’m feeling you girl! I try so hard to stay on track but I must have some mental block or something I don’t know!

Okay, you all are going to be the first to hear this publicly so brace yourself…

I know some of you might have seen me post in passing that I’ve been thinking about a revision surgery. Well, I’ve looked deeply into getting the sleeve. However, I the only insurance that covers the sleeve is Kaiser. I REFUSE to change over an insurance that has been nothing but great with me since day one to one that I remember growing up as it was. Anyway, that’s not the issue here…

My insurance only covers the RNY GB other than the LB. My surgeon has performed numerous RNY’s and if anything I trust him to do mine implicitly. So, as of yesterday afternoon and making the toughest decision to date, I’ve decided to set the ball in motion to get the RNY GB.

I don’t want to make this a long-drawn out boring post by listing my history. I know most of you here already know it, as we’ve all been posting on this site for years now.

Now here’s my dilemma. I am barely 100 Lbs overweight. That means I’m going to have to try my best not to lose anymore weight. So far that has not been too difficult!!! Lol In the grand scheme, I have become massively addicted to sugar. Now all of a sudden RNY doesn’t seem like too bad an option. Being that I’m barely 100 Lbs overweight the chances of me making goal are very high, especially with my workout ethic.

I’m in no way shape or form going or trying to blast the band. It simply didn’t work out for me, but I’ve seen so many on here over the years who it has worked for. I’m very happy for them and their accomplishments truly.

So as it stands right now, my PCP office opens in one hour. I’m going to schedule an appt to see her, as it’s time for my yearly exams first of all and in that I will discuss what I need to do to proceed with my band removal and RNY.

Okay well, that’s my contribution for this morning. How’s everyone else??

Morning guys. Sorry I haven't posted for a couple days, been running around like a maniac since we moved up the closing date on the house. Tomorrow is the big day and today is paper signing, money wiring and final walk though. Then I have to run my kid back to the orthodontist. He got braces yesterday and managed to pop off 3 of the clips in less than an hour. I know it wasn't his fault though because he was doing the right things. I feel like a crazy woman but it's a good crazy. I'm so excited to be working on a house that I don't have to live in the construction/remodel mess. I bought some lighting and appliances yesterday and will probably look for the fans and doors today. Bank repos might be cheaper but they usually need much more work.

Tap - I wish I were as strong willed as you are. Most of the stuff that you think is bad, I think is a good day for me. cheese = good, nuts = good (but I do remember your addiction with them) Cereal, raisin bran? = good. Only apple cake = bad and that's better than the dreaded 300+ calorie Peanut Butter Cookies. You've done great already, cut yourself some slack. You know what to do, you did it already for the last year and a half. :)

Wow Lil, that was a biggie. Definitely keep me posted. I have to admit that it's something I've thought of too. I watch the bypass people just drop the weight without a care and think how nice it would be to add it to what I've learned with the lapband. Big thing for me though is that I'm terrified of it. Plus that lapband really was working for me, I just need to get back on track. Let us know what is happening along the journey please.

WOW Lil Miss...that's a biggie indeed!

I know there must be some disappointement that you have had to get to this stage and that the band wasn't the right tool for you. BUT regardless of having the band removed, you have: learned about your food triggers; learned about eating smaller portions and chewing carefully; leaned about the importance of water; and made lots of new cyber-friends!!!

You are right - the band is NOT for everyone; sadly there doesn't seem to be a way to sort out the people into their best WLS BEFORE anyone has surgery. Oh well, I know you are making your decision based on experience, thoughtful investigation and analysis - you just didn't wake up two weeks into the experience and say 'out, get out'.

I know you will be successful; keep us involved in the process - don't you dare drop out of the VV's!!!

I have to admit that it's something I've thought of too. I watch the bypass people just drop the weight without a care and think how nice it would be to add it to what I've learned with the LAP-BAND®. Big thing for me though is that I'm terrified of it. .

I agree Ezma, the RNY do seem to lose the weight a lot faster; I too though was and still am scared of the surgery, and hence why I eliminated it as a potential WLS at the very beginnning.

Sorry I haven't posted for a couple days, been running around like a maniac since we moved up the closing date on the house. Tomorrow is the big day and today is paper signing, money wiring and final walk though.

That part of the process is time-consuming, isn't it?

Then I have to run my kid back to the orthodontist. He got braces yesterday and managed to pop off 3 of the clips in less than an hour.

He's talented!!

Tap - I wish I were as strong willed as you are. Most of the stuff that you think is bad, I think is a good day for me. cheese = good, nuts = good (but I do remember your addiction with them) cereal, raisin bran? = good. Only apple cake = bad and that's better than the dreaded 300+ calorie Peanut Butter Cookies. You've done great already, cut yourself some slack. You know what to do, you did it already for the last year and a half. :)

Well cheese a nd nuts are good - but only in moderation. And moderation ain't in my psychology!!!!! I ate almost an entire brick of cheese! And 1/2 bags of nuts....lotsa calories! So although there are worse things to have, I certainly can't just go whole hog on those things!

Yes, I KNOW what to do - I just can't seem to DO them. Lazy food addict comes to mind!! I need a good swift kick in the rear!

Hey Ladies!

You know I did decide in the very beginning there was absolutely no way in God’s green Earth that I’d ever EVER get the RNY. But, I guess now I say… well… never say never. …and yes, it was the main factor in choosing the lap-band. So, once I’d made that decision I looked on Google to see what I could find out about it. That’s when I found this great place! It was so helpful and yes, I’d made some awesome friends along the way on my journey. I’m so very thankful for all of you! There is no way I could have done this and stayed sane (well, as sane as can be) without all of you.

Do not worry! I won’t stop posting here, likely never will stop. In reality we are all the same. We all got WLS for a reason, and we will just be cousins instead of sisters now. J No WLS is a one-size-fits-all. I am glad I went through the Lap-Band first though. I think it kind of paved the way to the “big one”. I was SCARED TO DEATH of getting the RNY. But why? I’m just slowly killing myself by my daily choices. I have a terrible sugar demon, and in reality I hope I do get dumping syndrome. It will show me right off the bat not to do that.

I told my Husband I need something to beat me over the head to keep from eating the wrong things, not just squeeze my arm. And we all know that the Lap-Band does not stop you from eating sugar. My Husband was a little hesitant by my decision I’d finally come up with yesterday when I dropped the bomb. He has been since I’d been talking about a revision and the sleeve. He finally caved and said he just wants me to be happy and healthy. That’s all I really want too. I won’t lie though! The thought of losing this weight quickly and hopefully be near goal in six months is making me feel giddy all over again.

I will definitely keep you all in the loop. It just wouldn’t be the same without all of you!

Hugs!!!

I'm here. I've been substitute teaching this week. Fun, but busy!

Lil, that's a major decision. I hope it all goes well for you. I'm glad you won't abandon us.

The rest of you are great inspirations with your never-say-die attitudes. Thanks for always posting and your support.

My weight is pretty stable. I've lost most of what I gained over the summer, but can't keep my eating good enough to get much further down the scale.

My workouts have been stellar, though.

It snowed here in Kansas today. Winter needs to hold off a bit. I need more fall!

Hi Shiny!! Glad to see you back to posting, I was getting worried! Now if I could just get some of the others back.

Your eating is good and your exercise routines stellar - that's fabulous! I've done neither....my eating continues to be bad (not as bad as when I was on holiday though) and exercise - haven't done one shred. What is THAT all about? Maybe this weekend???

Snow??? Oh please, not yet. Keep it in Kansas. Not here....:thumbup::scared2::sad::scared2:

OK everyone - what's going on in your lives?

Happy Friday!:w00t::w00t:

Hey all. Wow, snow already? That's crazy to me. We're finally in the fantastic weather stage. It's in the 80s during the day and 60ish early morning and evening. Now is the time we all remember why we stay in Arizona.

I'm looking forward to the weekend. Lots to do on the new house to get it rent ready. My husband's brother got here from California last night so we'll be having fun. He's going to be doing all the electrical work for me. It's kinda weird though. I heard him cough from the other room last night and thought it was my hubby. Freaky, nice, then freaky some more.

Good to see you post again Shiny. Sounds like you're doing well. I'll take staying the same any day over gaining. Though I do have to say it would be really nice to lose. Come on, please, please, please, let us lose a few.

Tap, I know you'll get your head around it again soon. It felt like I'd never quit gaining. Now feels like I'll just stay here forever but I know I'll get it again. If you figure out the way to get your head in the game, please tell me.

Okay, off to boot the kid out the door for school and throw on a pot of coffee. Gonna try to sneak a walk in this morning before I get the keys. Have a great weekend all.