Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Victorious Valentines - Feb. 08 - MASTER THREAD!

Angie,

I ran 6 miles once. It was the longest distance I have ever run. It was about a year out from my surgery. There's just something amazing about a formerly obese person running those kinds of distances.

My hip started bothering me and put an end to the long runs, but maybe I'll work back up to it eventually. Keep up the great work!

Jaime,

I don't think it's nice for your doctor to scold you. Can you find anything helpful in what he said if you peel away the hurt feelings? Some people don't have that empathy filter when they speak, but maybe he said some true and helpful things somewhere in there. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws. Hang in there.

I'm feeling really down after having a rough week eating-wise. Well, really it was just Saturday. I ate a whole lot of crap (birthday party food) and just felt like a slug. I haven't weighed myself since and am probably not going to for a while. I just don't want to see those numbers in the 190s. Maybe I can hold off until I'm definitely in the 180s before I weigh again. Yeah, right! I'm not a good judge of how much I weigh.

At the end of Saturday, when I was feeling disgusted with myself for eating crappy, I looked down at my thighs and I swear to you they looked bigger. I know there's no possible way that's true, but it surprised me that they honestly looked bigger to me because I hadn't been making good choices that day.

I'm really feeling fat the last week or so. I even asked my husband if how I look to him fluctuates from day to day. He didn't even understand what I was trying to ask it was so silly. I just feel so differently from day to day and honestly a lot of it has to do with what numbers read on the scale. If I'm down two pounds then I actually feel skinnier. Like I said before, I'm tired of this battle sometimes. But I'm not giving in. I had a good day yesterday and plan on having a good day today and tomorrow and the next day. . .

Hi Everyone! :smile:

Just stopping by to keep in touch here . . . not much is currently changing in my weight loss journey (so I probably need to make a change, lol). I ate too much over the weekend, Father's Day celebrations for my hubby and then his dad. I'm never really comfortable with Father's Day, because I lost my dad when I was 21. I focus on making the day happy for my hubby now, but there's always a little bit of sadness that remains. :biggrin:

Anyway, that leads to some emotional eating, within the presence of chocolate cake. :blush: Back up and down the same two pounds. I really need to get serious, get some discipline and get to my goal, but I doubt that's gonna happen soon . . . I have vacation coming up in July, and I do intend to enjoy some restaurant eating :blushing:

My band is currently not helping me, I have no restriction, so I am working with will-power alone to try and lose this weight. I only have about 3.5 cc's in a 10 cc band. I could make another appointment with my surgeon for a fill, but every time he puts some Fluid back into the band, I end up with heartburn/reflux. I do have an appointment in July that's after my vacation . . . I'm thinking of waiting and just taking it from there.

I hope this post doesn't sound all dreary! I'm actually feeling good and enjoying Summer . . . finally some warm weather to enjoy! I've done a lot of work in the yard, I planted 4 flats of flowers in the beds in our front yard. Then a BAD groundhog came and ate about a third of the flowers :confused: - so hubby and I bought one more flat of flowers, and put down a whole bunch of critter repellent around the flowers beds. I gotta get out there and plant that last flat. :wink:

OK! Warm hugs to all, keep on swimming!

Jaime,

I don't think it's nice for your doctor to scold you. Can you find anything helpful in what he said if you peel away the hurt feelings? Some people don't have that empathy filter when they speak, but maybe he said some true and helpful things somewhere in there. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws. Hang in there.

Well, he did say some helpful things. He said that I've spent a lot of time helping other people through my blog, speaking at seminars, going to the support group, etc, but now I need to concentrate on myself. I haven't done those things for others though. They help me too. I'm still going to the support groups, but I haven't blogged or been active here in a while. I need to get back in those habits because they are a big part of my motivation.

At the end of Saturday, when I was feeling disgusted with myself for eating crappy, I looked down at my thighs and I swear to you they looked bigger. I know there's no possible way that's true, but it surprised me that they honestly looked bigger to me because I hadn't been making good choices that day.

I'm really feeling fat the last week or so. I even asked my husband if how I look to him fluctuates from day to day. He didn't even understand what I was trying to ask it was so silly. I just feel so differently from day to day and honestly a lot of it has to do with what numbers read on the scale. If I'm down two pounds then I actually feel skinnier. Like I said before, I'm tired of this battle sometimes. But I'm not giving in. I had a good day yesterday and plan on having a good day today and tomorrow and the next day. . .

I feel the same way, Melissa. When I was at my lowest weight, I felt so different than I do right now. I've gained about 20 lbs from my lowest but it just makes me feel so much fatter and really unhealthy. I have another 17 or so pounds to lose to get back down to that weight again.

I'm feeling really down after having a rough week eating-wise. Well, really it was just Saturday. I ate a whole lot of crap (birthday party food) and just felt like a slug.

just feel so differently from day to day and honestly a lot of it has to do with what numbers read on the scale. If I'm down two pounds then I actually feel skinnier..

I know EXACTLY what you mean; I swear after a bad eating day that I can see my belly enlarge. I know it is only in my head, but that makes it so much worse because then I berate myself...which of course doesn't help at all! If I had a set of scales I think I would be truly a nut-case....because those numbers would drive me crazy!

So, I will rely on the scales at the doc's, and just try to do better each day.

Just stopping by to keep in touch here . . . not much is currently changing in my weight loss journey (so I probably need to make a change, lol). I ate too much over the weekend, Father's Day celebrations for my hubby and then his dad. ...I lost my dad when I was 21. I focus on making the day happy for my hubby now, but there's always a little bit of sadness that remains. :lol:

I have vacation coming up in July, and I do intend to enjoy some restaurant eating :smile2:

My band is currently not helping me, I have no restriction, so I am working with will-power alone to try and lose this weight. I only have about 3.5 cc's in a 10 cc band. I could make another appointment with my surgeon for a fill, but every time he puts some Fluid back into the band, I end up with heartburn/reflux. I do have an appointment in July that's after my vacation . . . I'm thinking of waiting and just taking it from there.

I hope this post doesn't sound all dreary! I'm actually feeling good and enjoying Summer . . . finally some warm weather to enjoy!

Hi Lori! Sounds like you had a good time in the garden - as did the critters! I too spent all sunday outside playing in the dirt - and have the mosquito bites, scrapes, bruises, and farmer tan lines to prove it! And as each evening this week is supposed to be good, I hope to get more done every day!

I know what you mean about Father's Day - I too miss my Dad (I was really close to him), and it just reminds me of the loss.

As for the band - I would hold off on the fill until AFTER your vacation. How much does he put in at your fills? I'm down to .25 cc for fills now, and if/when I get another it will be (according to the clinic) even less than that.

. He said that I've spent a lot of time helping other people through my blog, speaking at seminars, going to the support group, etc, but now I need to concentrate on myself. I haven't done those things for others though. They help me too. I'm still going to the support groups, but I haven't blogged or been active here in a while. I need to get back in those habits because they are a big part of my motivation.

I feel the same way, Melissa. When I was at my lowest weight, I felt so different than I do right now. I've gained about 20 lbs from my lowest but it just makes me feel so much fatter and really unhealthy. I have another 17 or so pounds to lose to get back down to that weight again.

Jamie - Well take the good from the doc's message and try to ignore the rest. And yes, keep posting here and let us help (to whatever way we can).

Morning all! It is a bright sunny warm day here - the walk to work this morning was certainly sweat producing - which isn't necessarily the best way to be arriving at work!! Oh well I can't help that.

Take care, keep posting, keep swimming (even if it is UPstream!)

As for the band - I would hold off on the fill until AFTER your vacation. How much does he put in at your fills? I'm down to .25 cc for fills now, and if/when I get another it will be (according to the clinic) even less than that.

Yes, I agree Tap - it's probably best to wait until after vacation. It'll allow me to eat more than I should on vacation, but I'm gonna watch it and do my best. :eek: Lately, my doctor has been giving me .25cc fills (and unfills, sigh) . . . I'm just so sensitive. It's amazing that such a small amount can make such a difference!

Morning all! It is a bright sunny warm day here - the walk to work this morning was certainly sweat producing - which isn't necessarily the best way to be arriving at work!! Oh well I can't help that.

Absolutely terrific that you walk to work! :lol:

Well, he did say some helpful things. He said that I've spent a lot of time helping other people through my blog, speaking at seminars, going to the support group, etc, but now I need to concentrate on myself. I haven't done those things for others though. They help me too. I'm still going to the support groups, but I haven't blogged or been active here in a while. I need to get back in those habits because they are a big part of my motivation.

Cheers to you Jaime for helping others though blogging and speaking! You say you haven't done those things for others, but it is a way to help ourselves by helping others - that's the beauty of it :cuss:. If doing those activities helps you, then I think it's a good thing to continue (or restart) them. Concentrate on yourself definitely - doing what feels good for you will help you stick to it. I'm glad your doctor gave you some positive feedback. I find it discouraging when the "professionals" bring out the lecture attitude. It's just not a good way to motivate :smile2:.

Hang in there, you've got your girlfriends here with you! I'm thankful to be here in this forum. I know some might look at my ticker and wonder why I feel like I'm struggling - but for me this isn't about (just) achieving a goal - this is a life long battle - and I'll always need support for that. :eek:

Hi guys. Just checking in. I had a few bad days but it's getting better again. I stepped away from the scale for a few too. Don't want to go into a downward spiral if I gain a couple. Back to being good. Still walking each day so that's good. Think I'm gonna add part of my cardio workout back to each morning too since it's such a good limber up thing.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and will talk to you tomorrow.

Morning my fellow VVs! And a bright sunny warm one it is - YAHOO!!

Yesterday I didn't go to the Y - so I made myself walk twice the distance I usually do so at least I got some exercise. Today - I overslept (which NEVER happens to me) and so missed it again. I will have to make up for it somehow...I just don't like going after a day at work - I just want to go home, get into my comfie clothes and go into the garden.

I hope everyone is doing well - one day at a time, VVs. We are stronger than our cravings, we want to be more comfortable in bathing suits this summer, and we are SO WORTH IT!!!

Cheers to you Jaime for helping others though blogging and speaking! You say you haven't done those things for others, but it is a way to help ourselves by helping others - that's the beauty of it :thumbup:. If doing those activities helps you, then I think it's a good thing to continue (or restart) them. Concentrate on yourself definitely - doing what feels good for you will help you stick to it.

Hang in there, you've got your girlfriends here with you! I'm thankful to be here in this forum. I know some might look at my ticker and wonder why I feel like I'm struggling - but for me this isn't about (just) achieving a goal - this is a life long battle - and I'll always need support for that. :thumbup:

Hi Lori - you are so correct in what you said to Jamie. Absolutely 'spot on'!!

And yes, the support isn't just to reach the goal but to maintain it! We all know that the band isn't magical and even WHEN we reach our goals, we will still need to be vigilant - because smart people like us know how to eat AROUND the band! Support will be ongoing.

I had a few bad days but it's getting better again. I stepped away from the scale for a few too. Don't want to go into a downward spiral if I gain a couple. Back to being good. Still walking each day so that's good. Think I'm gonna add part of my cardio workout back to each morning too since it's such a good limber up thing.

Hi Ezma. Keep up the good work...and yes, avoid the scale if it is something that would affect your determination or mood. Add in some cardio...see how good I am about knowing what to do?!?!? Too bad I just can't do it myself!!!

I am also going to start the process of looking for a Plastic Surgeon. Although I don't have a lot of hanging skin giving me rashes or anything, I do have some jiggly skin and 'the girls' are soon going to meet my toes, so I'd like them hoisted up. Im not at goal, but I figure it will take a while to meet a number of PS's and have the consults etc, and then and only then will I make a final decision...am I too old? Can I afford it? Will it really make me feel better about my body? etc.

Have a great day...and for those lurking, come on and post! We miss ALL the VVs.

YooHoo?!?!?!

No postings since my post of yesterday morning? I guess everyone is busy. Take a few minutes ladies and post an update!

Although I didn't get to the Y yesterday, I walked at lunch (30 min), walked home from work (35 min), and then spent 2 hours in the garden weeding, raking, hoeing and puttering. That counts, rights? My eating was minimal - not by choice or design, rather I got 'stuck' and then couldn't eat the rest of the night. But Im ok today!!!

Morning Tap. Sounds like you're doing well. I'm just trying to wake up. Gotta get my butt up in a few and do some cardio warmup before I head off to walk. Yesterday went okay until about 9 o'clock. What the heck is it with the evening munchies. I did clean out my fridge and my spices yesterday. I'm making room for healthy food by getting rid of the unhealthy and old stuff. Figure if I get my panty down to one main cabinet it will force me to eat more fresh food. Things are really starting to feel like I'm getting back into good eating habits.

How are the rest of you doing? Any new tasty recipes out there? Think I'm gonna make that Salsa chicken recipe again soon. It's so easy, healthy, low-cal and tasty as can be. Thanks again to whoever it was that posted the recipe. Feel bad I don't remember who it was. Enjoy the day.

Still here Tap! I was busy yesterday, I had a dentist appointment on top of everything else. I'm a big coward at the dentist, they have to give me the gas before they can stick a needle in my mouth. I needed a filling. No exercise yesterday, after I came home from that, I had a bad headache and just wanted to sleep. The gas does relax me, but it gives me a headache when it wears off.

What the heck is it with the evening munchies.

Yeah, I'd like an answer to that too, lol. I can do great and eat good all day long, but then in the evening I want to munch! I do try and save some fresh fruit or something healthy for it, but eventually my sweet tooth is bugging me. If I didn't have the sweet cravings, I'll probably be a size 5 by now. It'll never happen, lol. :bored:

How are the rest of you doing? Any new tasty recipes out there? Think I'm gonna make that Salsa chicken recipe again soon. It's so easy, healthy, low-cal and tasty as can be. Thanks again to whoever it was that posted the recipe. Feel bad I don't remember who it was. Enjoy the day.

How about a new thread, where we just post our favorite recipes? The Salsa Chicken sounds good, but I musta missed that one. I'll start the thread - let's share our favorite recipes! :scared2:

My hubby will be off for the next two weeks, so we're gonna start some much needed work around the house. This weekend I need to get out and do more in the yard, I still haven't planted that extra flat of flowers. I hope it doesn't rain!

Have a great weekend all :thumbup:

This heat is doing a Boom Boom Pow on my runs. Normally I'd go earlier in the morning before it gets too hot, but my daughter is in soccer camp this week so I can't run until I get her dropped off. I was supposed to go 5 miles today, but after about 3.5 my shoes were starting to melt to the ground and when I smelled something burning I had a brief moment of insanity where I thought I might actually be on fire. Figured it was time to quit. LOL

Wow Angie, that's hot! Time to find an indoor track or move to the treadmill.

I just popped back on cause I couldn't believe it when I read Michael Jackson was dead. That's so freaky. He was less than 2 years older than me. Way too young to be dead. But then so was my hubby at 43.

. What the heck is it with the evening munchies. I did clean out my fridge and my spices yesterday. I'm making room for healthy food by getting rid of the unhealthy and old stuff. Figure if I get my panty down to one main cabinet it will force me to eat more fresh food. Things are really starting to feel like I'm getting back into good eating habits.

Morning Ezma. I too would love to know the secret to STOP the evening munchies. You would think it would be during the day when I would stumbe as I work in a tower with a restaurant court and EVERY single co-worker goes to buy lunch and the odors permeate the offices , AND there is always a birthday or 'no occasion' reason for candies, baked goods etc. But I have no troubleresisting at work, but after supper...watch out!!

I had a dentist appointment on top of everything else. I'm a big coward at the dentist, they have to give me the gas before they can stick a needle in my mouth. I needed a filling.

If I didn't have the sweet cravings, I'll probably be a size 5 by now. It'll never happen, lol. :thumbup:

This weekend I need to get out and do more in the yard, I still haven't planted that extra flat of flowers. I hope it doesn't rain!

Lori, I like the dentist...just sit back, open wide and I get so relaxed I just fall asleep!

And as the for the cravings, if nuts didn't call my name CONSTANTLY, I too could be a single-digit sized person. I can't imagine it...

As for the garden...me too, me too! apparently though it is supposed to rain here on Sunday...sure, we have had a week of sunny weather, and now that the weekend is coming, at least one day gets rain - BAH!!!

This heat is doing a Boom Boom Pow on my runs. . I was supposed to go 5 miles today, but after about 3.5 my shoes were starting to melt to the ground and when I smelled something burning I had a brief moment of insanity where I thought I might actually be on fire. Figured it was time to quit. LOL

:lol::lol:

Seriously though - be careful running outside in the heat - heat exhaustion dehydration - not good.

I couldn't believe it when I read Michael Jackson was dead. That's so freaky. He was less than 2 years older than me. Way too young to be dead. But then so was my hubby at 43.

I can't believe it either - he was younger than me, and it just seems wrong. No one younger than me should die...and no one my age should die, and no one older than me but younger than my mother should die. And my mother shouldn't die. And older than my mother...they should live too because they have so much to teach everyone younger than themselves.

Morning all! Thank heavens it is Friday - YAHOO!! I hope everyone gets some exercise this weekend, enjoys time with friends and family, and of course, eats properly.

Take care!

Hi, Everyone.

Angie, you scare me with running in that kind of heat. Knock it off! It's dangerous. Seriously your shoes were melting? That's crazy hot.

I'm doing pretty good. I'm frustrated with my weight. It goes up and down the same few pounds over and over and over again. I think it's time to change my ticker back up because I haven't seen 187 since the day I weighed that and changed it.

I guess I probably need a fill. Not getting one in July, so it'll have to be August. I am able to eat a little less carefully and larger quantities than before.

I'm heading on a trip to St. Louis in a couple of days. My sister and I are both doing this health challenge I've mentioned and we're running a 5k together on July 4th, so it shouldn't be a bad thing for my weight loss to be traveling.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Melissa