Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not losing any weight

I am discouraged. I was banded the Tuesday before Thanksgiving 2008 and I had my first fill in February. However, to date, I haven't lost a pound. I feel like I am eating less than I used to, and I haven't been able to drink carbonated soft drinks since my surgery. I wanted this surgery for so long, and I am disappointed that I haven't had better results.:)

Are you exercising? And just eating "less" won't do it, unfortunately(I know from personal experience). You may not have to "diet" but you do need to eat lean foods, only eat 3 meals a day (at least per my surgeon, he feels snacking causes failure) and keep your calories to a good limit. PLUS get your Water in. You may need a meeting with your nutritionist. Remember the band is a tool, not the totaly answer.

Have you only had one fill?? I get a fill nearly every month! You may need to schedule fills more frequently! Good Luck! :)

plus your not suppose to drink carbonated drinks, it could stretch out the pouch. I think you are in desperate need of a meeting with your nutritionist. i wish you luck!!!

Did you not have a regular monthly appointment with the doctor's that did your surgery?? I was banded in January of this year,, and they weigh me monthly , monitor my weight loss?? I had one fill so far,, and for me its been fantastic,, but I use it as a tool.. everyone's journey is a different one, but I definately would be talking to the clinic you had this done.:)

Be well and good luck.

Basically, good suggestions so far..

Eat high Protein low carb meals

Exercise .. if nothing else walk 1 hour a day

Drink 64 ounces a day of Water

Get enough sleep at night..

Keep a log of all your food and Fluid intake.

Good place for this is www.sparkpeople.com

I'm so sorry you are having difficulty. I understand it is very difficult to not see the scales move for you while others seem to be losing tons. Please don't get discouraged. Having the band is really a personal thing because the experience is so completely different for everyone.

There are a few things that you might try.

1. First, be patient with youself and the band. Sometimes it takes weeks for it to kick in. This is a long journey you are on and really, you've just started.

2. Start writing down what you eat. You stated that you "feel" you eat less than you used to. Well, you really need to know for sure. Make sure you are eating less than 1200 cal per day. For some 1000 or less works best but start at 1200 and see if that helps.

3. Make sure you are getting enough Protein. Your nutritionist should be able to help you determine the right amount of Protein for you. If you are not comfortable with talking to a nutritionist, do a little google search.

4. Increase your activity level. It is absolutely true that the more you burn, the more you'll lose. Exercise has another benefit ... it just makes you feel good about yourself and gives you positive feelings about what you are doing and makes you feel more confident you can do it.

5. Most important, don't beat yourself up about this. Keep a positive and patient attitude. Don't let others discourage you. You have the tool you wanted. After another fill, or the third fill, or even the sixth fill, you'll start to feel that restriction that will help. Until then, it will be more difficult but you can do it.

If you are a person of faith, just know that God will make it happen for you at the right time.

I think maybe if you keep a diary of your food, you might realize that there is too many calories being consumed. I am asked to do this every 6 months and it is very eye opening. They can sneak up on you even though it looks like no change. Hang in there things will turn around soon. Just know we are all supporting you.

jazie

I feel you...But you have gotten some really good advice. Drink lots of water...eat your lean protien. I prefer Atkins protien products and see a personal trainer. I see one because I didn't want to work out in vain. I wanted to know I am doing all I can. It can be pretty expensive. I am fortunate my trainer is $15 per session. You really may only need to see him or her once or twice then you can do what you were taught on your own...