Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op and so depressed

Maybe someone can help?

I was banded 3 weeks ago and lost 9 lbs the first week. The second week I lost 1 pound and this week I lost NONE. I am followng my diet plan (1000-1200 calories of mushies, 60-80 grams Protein, 8 glasses water) and I don't know whats wrong. I feel like such a failure. I spent so long getting approved and I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing yet I've failed again. My doctor also offered gastric bypass but I wanted lap band because I thought it was safer--now I'm regretting my decision.

Should I go back to the liquid diet--that is when I lost 9 lbs in a week? I don't know what to do...

hey 4pyes you are doing good i only lost 5 pounds in my first month so dont worry its all gona work out just keep up your diet and dont forget to walk it is so important that will make a huge difference, dont be depressed you are on your way back to sexxy my friend..lol

i am a slow looser as well. i really didn't start loosing until i got some really good restriction and that wasn't until maybe 3-4 months after surgery. Have you gotten any fills? often you won't really start loosing weight until you get some restriction. .

You have most certainly NOT failed. You simply are expecting too much too soon. The 4 weeks or so after surgery (up until your first fill, really), you are healing from the surgery, your band is settling into place. Any weight you lose in that time frame is not going to amount to a great deal usually (there are always some exceptions but they are not the rule). I didn't lose anything for the whole 4 weeks up to my first fill. NOW, I'm losing quite steadily. Give yourself the time you need to be 100% inside and you'll see the results. Don't go back to the full liquid diet. You'll end up miserable. Eat as you have been instructed. Start a walking program (probably too soon to do any "serious" exercise, though walking is excellent exercise).

Your weight loss will stall for the time being. at least until you are back on solid foods and your body adjusts then you will start losing again. 3 stalled out for 3 weeks straight.

Hey I was upset also I was banded 1/15/09 I had lost 15 pounds on the liquid and then went on soft food and gained 7 back I was so upset I did not know what to do, so with alot of soul searching I figured out only to weight my self once a week. That has helped and I had my first fill in march and I have started losing again I am down 33 pounds and waiting to get my second fill the 13 of April so I hope I will lose more. You are a winner!!!!!!

I don't know if I can help. But I'm certainly glad that you posted this. I'm 28 days post op and in the last two weeks...I've lost probably 3 pounds. I lost more in my pre-op diet. I'm not eating bad! I'm a lot more active! Is it because I don't have my first fill yet? Thank you for posting this so I can maybe get some help with your replies. Let's stay positive..I'm certain things will start going our way right?

Be STRONG....You didn't get to the weight you are at overnight and you are not going to loose it in the blink of an eye.

Try to remember that you are still in the healing process and you are going with NO restriction.

This is not the time to beat yourself up, keep following the diet your doctor has recommended, move your butt and the scales will follow you soon.

Keep smiling....it's gonna get better!!

10 LBS in 3 weeks is deff. not something to laugh at! You have done great! That is a little more than 3 pounds a week and that is great! The point is you are loosing and that is what matters. It isn't happening over night, but it is happening! Keep your chin up, as you are doing great!

I know how you are feeling, I am loosing slow as well. I have gotten depressed as well then I tell myself if I even loose an ounce at least that is an ounce gone!

Don't beat yourself up it will come off.

Maybe someone can help?

I was banded 3 weeks ago and lost 9 lbs the first week. The second week I lost 1 pound and this week I lost NONE. I am followng my diet plan (1000-1200 calories of mushies, 60-80 grams Protein, 8 glasses water) and I don't know whats wrong. I feel like such a failure. I spent so long getting approved and I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing yet I've failed again. My doctor also offered gastric bypass but I wanted lap band because I thought it was safer--now I'm regretting my decision.

Should I go back to the liquid diet--that is when I lost 9 lbs in a week? I don't know what to do...

You've lost about 10 pounds within the first 3 weeks???? And you are down about it?

What if you haven't lost any? Then 6 weeks later you go for an adjustment and you still don't lose any...not even an ounce. Then 4 weeks later still you go in for another adjustment. Then 2 days later you lost 1 pound.

What then? And yes, that's my story. So congratulations, you beat many of us!

im so glad u started this thread, i lost 11 lbs in the first 2 weeks, then i stalled for a few days and today i gained a lb. i was really sad too. I was banded on march 20th 2009, and was hoping to lose another ten before my fill. that is in 3.5 weeks. I know that being on mushies is probably the reason, but i think we come into this with such high expections, and are so desperate to get to our goal. :eek:

good luck all

amy

Glad to know I'm not the only one! I was banded 3/9/09, lost 12lbs, then 3 more and nothing in the last 3 weeks. I've been dilligent (although not exercising yet as I should) with eating properly, etc. I called the dr today, and they said its completely normal to not lose anything. They said, with nothing in the band, its important not to gain until the 1st fill. Just like all the wonderfully experienced ladies have said here! So I'm going with just not gaining until my first fill. It made me feel a lot less depressed about it! I see so many other people with such great success in the first few weeks - dr acknowledged - totally normal. But you will lose weight - we just have to wait unti our first fill!

I was told that this would be a much slower weight loss process. Sounds like you are right on target.

Maybe someone can help?

Think you are on track. My mother had Lap-Band in February and was depressed for the first 6 weeks. She was actually grieving the loss of her friend, food. Give it some time to adjust. Weight loss, even with surgery is a journey, not a magic wand.:)