Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's day 5 of 14 days pre-op diet. It's really tough. I miss food and eating. I can only have 5 Optifast shakes and SF Jello, Crystal lite and SF tea. I've added SF popsicles, and FF chicken broth and I cheated by eating a couple of bites of cooked veggies from the Soup I made the chicken broth from. At least some ppl get to have real food: veggies, salads and OMG chicken. I don't understand why there's such a huge difference between pre-op diets from doctor to doctor and I don't understand why someone who needs to lose 100 lbs has to the same diet as someone who needs to lose 200-300. It doesn't make sense to me. Yes, I do want my surgery to be a sucess and I don't want to take any risks. I just needed to rant for a bit. At least by the time I do get to start eating I will appreciate the healthy stuff like chicken, veggies, salad if I can still tolerate it. AND, I've only lost 4 lbs so far. I lost it after the 1st day of liquid. I'm on day 5, I thought I'd be down 7-8 lbs by now! Argh! Sorry about the ranting. I'm just hungry. : (

i know how you feel,but i feel it's a life time commitment not a 2 week deal, after reading about some people not losing any wieght even after banding, u need to eat right foods or u will note lose . hey i am really thinking if u have cravings maybe u need bypass

I was wondering the same thing about pre-op dieting in reading about people doing liquid-only diets, some not even having one, etc....

I am on day 1 and my stomach is growling, LOL.

Mine consists of 4 meals:

1 serving of 2 of these: fruit, yogurt, Cereal, toast, bagel, oatmeal, waffle, etc...

Protein shake

4-6 ozs of lean meat, and 1 cup of green vegetables (lettuce, peas, green Beans, broccoli)

Protein Shake

But I have to do it for FOUR weeks.

I am curious as to what other people's diets consist of and why... Interesting stuff!

My doc required a 2 week pre op of clear/full liquids. I did 1 extra week on my own. I was able to eat yogurt (no fruit) and broth or creamy Soup (no veggies or meat) and was very satisified. I also had to consume Protein Drinks (Ensure, Adkins, Slimfast etc) at least 2 a day and that was not a problem.

I am day 4 post op and doing well- Just re-introduced yogurt as for the next 14 days am back to clear/full liquid diet.< /p>

I too am unsure as to why each doctor has a different variation of pre and post op dieting- Some are very extreme while others are very lenient.

Personally I was eager to begin this journey and committed 100 + percent and I know that others do not realize until its too late what a commitment it really is.

I used the pre-op time to really soul search also and pray alot about what I was doing and got great comfort that way too.

I can only say in a while it will be totally worth it and these 2 weeks or 3 weeks of preop are preparing you for the rest of your new-life so dont give up!

I feel your fustration!!! I am on day 8th of the pre-op diet. At first i thought i couldn't do it, my head was hurting i felt weak and t truley did miss eating!!! But i have to tell you that it does get better. I am surving the one thing i thought i couldn't do. I have been able to cook for my family with out the temp. Of wanting to eat it.

What seems to help me is i keep myself busy not letting myself get bored... Good luck!!

I have 2 more days and i get banded(4/8/09)!!

This diet is f^&*(())(** kicking my a&* lol but i wrote notes every whereto keep me on point ...but stay focus...my diet is 5-6 slim-fast a day and 72oz of Water 1 Jello sf of course

I hear ya & feel your pain! I'm struggling with my diet as well. I keep chugging my Water and sf decafe tea. I'm not a sweet craver, but a crunchy salty fan. I give myself pep talks all day long, big picture... big picture...

My doctor says the 2 week pre op liquid is necessary. Our livers are fatty and are on top of the stomach. Its squishy and hard to move off the stomach. By putting it in ketosis (starvation) the liver gets hard. Easy to move off the stomach. No bleeding or damage to the liver. EAsy to put band in.

After the surgery the 2 weeks is to let the stomach heal.

I too am worried about the liquid diet. I was told that the key is finding a Protein shake that you like. I am ordering samples trying to find one. :-)

I am hoping to have my surgery in May 2009

Jacky

Hang in there guys , I had to do 2 weeks pre op , had the op and then when doing the 2 week post op liquid diet I had complications with my band which had to be redone, so I then and still am on another 2 week liquid only .. so all in 4 weeks to date nothing but liquids and 1 week to go ..........

If I see another cup a Soup I will go mad though LOL ...

Keep strong :blink:

Oh an after thought , Guys keep the Water flowing and plenty of it , I have also had 2 instances of dehydrayion which has had to be treated , not ery nice , sick , headaches etc etc .. all done to not enough fluids , Water being the obvious choice . I seem to find my selfs because diet is so restricted not keeping an eye on my water intake and failing to take enough .

Edited by bignik

Day 10 of Pre-Op diet. Have I cheated? Yes......Do I suggest you to cheat? No.....

I called my Doctor's office and spoke to the Dietician and told him this is crazy! I wanted to know why there is such a difference in the diets just like you do carbgrl.....why do some people have to go on the liquids for 2 weeks and some people can at least have one high Protein sensible meal a day a long with their Protein shakes (Optifast is what I have to drink 24/7, with SF Jell-O, tea, coffee, diet green tea, anything clear and liquid pretty much).

He explained I could go off the liquids or eat the one high Protein sensible meal a day and continue with my Optifast shakes. They would still do my surgery, but it makes it difficult on the back-end during recovery and adjusting to the liquids I will be drinking after getting banded and the "puree" I will be doing after the liquids.

So basically there are two reasons why the liquids are introduced 2 weeks before the surgery.

1. Like JackyL said:

Our livers are fatty and are on top of the stomach. Its squishy and hard to move off the stomach. By putting it in ketosis (starvation) the liver gets hard. Easy to move off the stomach. No bleeding or damage to the liver. EAsy to put band in.

2. Your ability to adjust to liquids and get in that "mind-set". Let's face it. These Protein Shakes are going to be our best friends for the rest of our lifes, not just two weeks before surgery. It is now or never to learn that the liquid side of being banded exist and is starting now.

It makes it a struggle the entire time during your Pre-op liquid diet if you eat ANYTHING outside of what you are suppose to eat. I hit my brick wall on the 4th day.....cheated on the 6th day, hit the brick wall everyday since then.

My surgery is scheduled for April 14th at 9am. Am I ready? I don't know yet....doing a lot of soul searching right now.

I am not looking at this to lose weight, I am doing this to get healthy. I quit smoking on March 17th which was a breeze compared to what I am going through right now..but I have committed to myself that I am going to get healthy so I am taking the steps in that diretion.

Starting Weight was 244

Current Weight is 238

Goal Weight.....A HEALTHY BMI!:sad:

Edited by DanaTX

Thanks for the info Dana. I had a bad night last night, I cheated in a BIG way. But I'm back on track today. My surgery is scheduled for the 16th, so I have time to be much better. I will not go down the bad road again. I did a lot of soul searching last night and today a lot of research (Mindful Eating) for help. I'm feeling much more confident in my ability to do this.

My surgeon just said he wants me to loose between 10-15 pounds. He suggested the South Beach Diet. I have been on it since 04/02. I have little to inclination to cheat, which really surprises me. I think it is because I am determined to do this.

:):):sad:

This pre-op diet really has me rethinking my decision for this surgery. I have a 2 week liquid diet, no fruit, no veggies, nothing.

My assistant told me today that I am a bit on edge and I know its from the hunger and frustration of this strict diet.

I started Monday and have lost 2 pounds each day. I have been weak and have had headaches. Don't know if I can stick with it for another 10 days.

Why are there so many variations, I would kill just to have something to chew and swallow.

I was supposed to do a two week diet where I replaced Breakfast and lunch with Protein shakes and then ate a light and healthy dinner, like chicken and non-starchy veggies. If hungry in between, I was allowed half a turkey sandwich or a piece of fruit. Which I took full advantage of.

Ten days before the surgery, I came down with the flu. I didn't eat much for three days...but when I felt better, I was absolutely ravenous. I had the "last supper syndrome" big time. In the days before my surgery, I was hitting Panera bread and the Chinese restaurant. The day before surgery, I stuck to Clear liquids...and I'm doing great now. 15 days post op and I'm down 17lbs.

I don't know...I think the fact that I allowed myself a few "last meals" was beneficial. I prepared myself mentally, knowing that after that, the fun was over.

All the Protein that I had to drink over those two weeks must have done the trick on my liver, because I had the surgery without a problem.

The time has gone by so quickly that it'll be over before you know it. Yes, not being able to eat solid food stinks...but if you're creative, you can figure out how to be satisfied. Personally, I found new and exciting ways to doctor applesauce.

My face is thinner..my watch spins around my wrist..my wedding band is loose..my clothes are too big. My confidence has already shot through the roof.

It's all worth it! Hang in there!