Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Out, Sleeve In! It's done.

Glad you made it home safely and all is going well! Thanks for allowing us on your journey. I'm rooting for you!

Thank you! I had some chicken broth and tea this evening and am quite satisfied. I made "real" dinner for my sister and THAT looked good. LOL. My challenge is to get in the required amount of fluids so I'll work on that tomorrow.

I bet you are so glad to be home and have all this behind you. Keep a stiff upperlip as you go through your liquid phase, it goes faster than you think.

Good Luck to you!

I go to full fluids on Saturday and I already know I want Tomato Soup. LOL. THAT really saved me when I was first banded.

Hi all,

I just lost my band a few weeks ago and underwent a partial gastrectomy. It is a very modified sleeve but the surgeon suggested if I start gaining weight I may want to complete the sleeve..My question is, how much does the sleeve cost in a mexican hospital. I am private pay and dont think I can afford another 18K. I am not sure that I need it yet since I am still losing weight but that may just be from my healing stage from the partial gastrectomy. Any info would be helpful.

Ruthi

A sleeve is a vertical partial gastrectomy. Did you lose all your weight with the band? How much of your stomach was removed and what area? Like WASA, I am confused. Maybe he did do a VSG and is suggesting revising to a DS?

It's post-op day 5 and I finally feel good. The jet lag is gone and the awful gas pain that landed in my left shoulder is also history. I decided not to take anything for pain (last pill was Sat night) yesterday or last night (slows peristalsis and I wanted the gas gone) and it worked. LOL.

I was able to sleep on my left and right sides as well as my back. The most tender spot is near where the port was removed and where the drain was. In my case, those 2 spots are close. It feels like I did 300 sit-ups but the more I move, the better I feel.

I tried 5 different Protein drinks/powders when I was banded and hated them all. This time, I bought 3 different types and just can't get past the awful Protein taste. I called the patient coordinator and asked if I could use a soy based drink that has 7 g protein, 1 sugar carb, 3 Fiber carbs, and 70 cal in 8 oz. Normally, this is not allowed until post-op day 11. Thankfully, I got the OK and Soy Slender is now my best friend. LOL. It tastes like chocolate milk. I also purchased Special K protein Water. This product is expensive and only has 5 grams of protein in each bottle (50 cals) but it's a way for me to keep drinking (tastes like a lite lemonade) and get some protein in.

The greatest "gift" happened when I decided to bite the bullet and get on the scale... down 7 pounds since Tuesday.

Edited by Elisabethsew

Elisabeth, it sounds like you are doing great! Congrats on the seven pound weight loss. I had so much problems with nausea, that they didn't take my IV out until late Saturday night. So, I have been afraid to step on the scale for fear of seeing a gain!!!

Elisabeth, it sounds like you are doing great! Congrats on the seven pound weight loss. I had so much problems with nausea, that they didn't take my IV out until late Saturday night. So, I have been afraid to step on the scale for fear of seeing a gain!!!

I warned them that me and anesthesia don't agree and told them of the horrible nausea and what drug works best for me. It's no longer used in this country but it is in Mexico and others... droperidol. They gave me that post-op and the nausea went away. I had rigors (uncontrolled shaking) but they used a hot air blower to deal with that issue.

It took them 3 sticks to get an IV in my horrible veins. Unfortunately, it developed a phlebitis and Dr. Aceves yanked it the morning after my surgery which left me way behind in fluids and dehydrating. I'm finally getting back to a balance today.

Do you guys think I should get the spinal instead of the general? I have had both in the past. I had general with

LB surgery, but my dr. gave me a patch to put behind my ear the night before which he said would control nausea.

I had a spinal with a C section and it came up too high and I could not tell if I was breathing . the whole thing was very freaky and I would be afraid to get another spinal. do they do epidurals with these surgeries?

I am glad to hear you are both coming along great and I can't wait for all the continued up dates.

Do you guys think I should get the spinal instead of the general? I have had both in the past. I had general with

LB surgery, but my dr. gave me a patch to put behind my ear the night before which he said would control nausea.

I had a spinal with a C section and it came up too high and I could not tell if I was breathing . the whole thing was very freaky and I would be afraid to get another spinal. do they do epidurals with these surgeries?

I am glad to hear you are both coming along great and I can't wait for all the continued up dates.

The anesthesiologost will meet with you and review your past surgeries as well as your spinal anatomy before suggesting which to get.

After they got the IV in my wrist in the OR, they pushed a sedative through it and then I was assisted onto my left side. The spinal block lasts for 3 hours. You will also get general anesthesia because of the pressure on the diaphragm when they inflate the abdominal cavity with the CO2 gas.

Most people think the surgeon is in charge of the OR but that's not true. It's the anesthesiologist who monitors your vital signs, etc., and controls the operation. I would suggest going with what they suggest. My OR time was 2 hours.

Thanks Elizabeth. Surgery is scary. LP surgery was not that scary for me, but this one is. For one thing, I will be completely alone down there, and another, it's a little freaky to think they are removing a lot of your stomach and there is no turning back from that.

I warned them that me and anesthesia don't agree and told them of the horrible nausea and what drug works best for me. It's no longer used in this country but it is in Mexico and others... droperidol. They gave me that post-op and the nausea went away. I had rigors (uncontrolled shaking) but they used a hot air blower to deal with that issue.

It took them 3 sticks to get an IV in my horrible veins. Unfortunately, it developed a phlebitis and Dr. Aceves yanked it the morning after my surgery which left me way behind in fluids and dehydrating. I'm finally getting back to a balance today.

Elisabeth,

I do ICU and recovery room nursing. We still use droperidol here in New Orleans. For some people, its the only thing that works. We also used it when I did my contract in Indiana. This patient had irretractable vomiting and it was the only thing that stopped it. The intensivist at the hospital in Indiana was an anesthesiologist by training, so maybe that's why. In the recovery room, we try Zofran first, but after 8 mgs, it's droperidol all the way if the pt is still vomiting.

It's post-op day 5 and I finally feel good. The jet lag is gone and the awful gas pain that landed in my left shoulder is also history. I decided not to take anything for pain (last pill was Sat night) yesterday or last night (slows peristalsis and I wanted the gas gone) and it worked. LOL.

I was able to sleep on my left and right sides as well as my back. The most tender spot is near where the port was removed and where the drain was. In my case, those 2 spots are close. It feels like I did 300 sit-ups but the more I move, the better I feel.

I tried 5 different Protein drinks/powders when I was banded and hated them all. This time, I bought 3 different types and just can't get past the awful Protein taste. I called the patient coordinator and asked if I could use a soy based drink that has 7 g protein, 1 sugar carb, 3 Fiber carbs, and 70 cal in 8 oz. Normally, this is not allowed until post-op day 11. Thankfully, I got the OK and Soy Slender is now my best friend. LOL. It tastes like chocolate milk. I also purchased Special K protein Water. This product is expensive and only has 5 grams of protein in each bottle (50 cals) but it's a way for me to keep drinking (tastes like a lite lemonade) and get some protein in.

The greatest "gift" happened when I decided to bite the bullet and get on the scale... down 7 pounds since Tuesday.

That has been one of the hardest things for me, trying to find things I can tolerate. I finally found a protein mix that has 14g of protein and I mix it with my plain nonfat soymilk and that gives me 20g of protein in the morning.

I am at the mushy stage but I can barely get down one scrambled egg, so I am continuing to supplement with the shakes. I think I am going to order some of that unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury from Vitalady, just to get my protein intake up. I was reading on another site that this doctor said if you don't get in all your protein, your body will start cannabalizing itself, because it's like being an anorexic, and that is scary. :(

Thanks Elizabeth. Surgery is scary. LP surgery was not that scary for me, but this one is. For one thing, I will be completely alone down there, and another, it's a little freaky to think they are removing a lot of your stomach and there is no turning back from that.

I worked a 13 hour shift and then had a car take me directly to the airport. On the way there, I took my luggage on the plane with me. Once you get off the plane, the driver is in the baggage area waiting for you and then you go right to the hospital.

I traveled alone but the staff are nice and I got work done on my laptop. You'll get a list of American TV stations but I didn't bother with the TV. The process goes quickly and the only difficult part was the LONG trip back home. Because heavy lifting is not allowed (>15 pounds), I checked my luggage on the way home.

You'll need to come to terms with the fact that 60% of your stomach is being removed. Some people have a problem with this. I would suggest thinking it through before you actually go through with it.

Elisabeth,

I do ICU and recovery room nursing. We still use droperidol here in New Orleans. For some people, its the only thing that works. We also used it when I did my contract in Indiana. This patient had irretractable vomiting and it was the only thing that stopped it. The intensivist at the hospital in Indiana was an anesthesiologist by training, so maybe that's why. In the recovery room, we try Zofran first, but after 8 mgs, it's droperidol all the way if the pt is still vomiting.

I work in NY and they don't use the droperidol anymore... blackboxed by the FDA so I guess they don't want the hassle but it's a great drug. The 8 mg of Zofran does nothing for me.

That has been one of the hardest things for me, trying to find things I can tolerate. I finally found a Protein mix that has 14g of Protein and I mix it with my plain nonfat soymilk and that gives me 20g of protein in the morning.

I am at the mushy stage but I can barely get down one scrambled egg, so I am continuing to supplement with the shakes. I think I am going to order some of that unflavored unjury from Vitalady, just to get my protein intake up. I was reading on another site that this doctor said if you don't get in all your protein, your body will start cannabalizing itself, because it's like being an anorexic, and that is scary. :(

Unfortunately, I know I won't be getting in the required protein and I'm trying as hard as I can to stay hydrated. I only got in 20 g today so I'll try for more tomorrow. Have you tried part-skim ricotta cheese for some protein? Once I get to the full fluids, I'll be a lot happier.

yeah, I have come to terms with it. It's what I need. I gained 10 lbs in Arizona in 10 days. Having a band with no restriction is worthless. I can't get a fill or all the night time problems will come back. I am looking forward to restriction without getting filled and unfilled.