Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Call all successful bandsters - Any tips for newbies?

Tomorrow will be my first day for pre op liquid diet. My surgery is on April 7th. :scared2: I am writing this because I want to do it right and be healthy like you guys.

If you have any tips for newbie, please do share. For example, how many calories you guys eat during the day, do you follow any diet plan like WW, daily menus, activities, what to do or what not to do and etc. If this question has been asked before, please let me know where I can find it.

Thank you so much for all of your help. :rolleyes2:

Alisa

The best tip i can offer would be to follow your doctors orders and dietary guidelines. Measure out your food and count calories and get some exercise in there.

One thing I didn't find out until it was too late is to get papaya enzyme to help when foods get stuck or for indigestion. It has saved me more times than I care to think about and it tastes WONDERFUL!! Get some and keep it in the cupboard and in your purse at all times:thumbup:

And follow your doctor's instructions to the letter, do not deviate from them regardless of what you read or hear on these boards. You and your doctor know whats best for you, but getting ideas here and reviewing them with your doctor is the best bet! Congratulations on the beginning of your new life.

Move, move, move! Find two things you really enjoy doing and do them till you are sick of them, than find something new that you enjoy. And than do it...its all about counting what you put in and making sure you move enough to burn more cals

I have my first appt. with my doctor on Thurs. Then we will schedule my surgery date. I'm having some thoughts about "oh gosh, can I really do this? Can I eat like they want me to? What if I blow it because my mind says one thing and my stomach know another?" Any advice? Thanks...

Congradulations on getting approved and ready to be banded. It will be here before you know it. As everyone has said follow the doctors suggestions. Take your time in eating do not rush it. Take it one day at a time, and take baby steps. This is something that will not happen overnight. You are in this for the long term. It will take a few months before you notice a lot of changes. Everyone is differant in how fast the loose etc. try not to compare your self to others. DO not beat yourself up if you go bakwards a bit. We all have done it and we just have to stop and work on changing things. Again it takes time to change are lifestyle etcs. Iam still working on things even though I have been banded for over 18 months now. If you have any questions just ask away. We are all here to help you. You will do just fine.

Chris

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and congrats. I am excited about the surgery but nervous at the same time. Today is my first day of pre op diet. Only 2 weeks to go :-)

BTW, Coloradobanding, where did you get papaya enzyme?

Thanks again everyone?

Papaya enzyme is available almost everywhere; I got mine at Wal-mart for about $5!

I try to just count carbs, easier than cal. lower numbers, don't have to count as high. Good luck, my wife is getting a bypass on 6 April and as you can see I got the realize band on 4 March. The liquid diet gets a little rough (hunger) but remember the end result and try your best. We only had to be on a liquid diet for ten days so we started about 14 days out and after the third day I had a bowl of chili so I was still in compliance with my Dr. orders but got thru the third day hump and the rest of the 14 day liquid diet went fine, infact I was eating one or two liquid meals a day prior to that to find a good liquid that I liked. Again Good luck.

hi tcbgirl

it's great you are researching ahead of time.

when i came on LBT i saw 2 "camps".

some had lapband awhile back and hadnt lost much weight. i noticed they blamed the band, talked alot about taco bell, blizzards, etc. didnt exercise much....i have to be honest...this scared me and i almost didnt proceed with the band. i thought why go through all of this when i wont lose the weight.

well i read on.....

the other camp was filled with people that were actively working with their bands as a tool to achieve their goals. they journalled their food, exercised, talked about how to overcome when they "fell of the wagon". they lost weight and had a great approach. so i decided to follow them.

some of the key things for me were and are (i am just coming out of a period where i fell off the wagon):

1. journal what i eat

2. beef up exercise

3. drink lots of Water

4. get the junk out of the house

5. make sure to get Protein in. if i cant eat..i use Protein shakes or the Protein bullets. i've never lost my hair since banding

as was said before...papaya enzymes have been great.

good luck on your journey